DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with a Mini 4?

Vmaxhp

Reactions
After much frustration with an S8, I purchased a used Mini4. Question for those flying with a Mini4, do you have the arms hold it in portrait orientation, or did you get a holding frame, and if so, which?
TIA!
Rick

My iPad Mini 4 slides in the Controller arms in landscape orientation, no problem. Just open it all the way and carefully push it in...I'd try it with everything turned off the first time.
I use a usb cable to connect the Controller to the iPad. It makes it easier for me to connect. I purchased the cable from DJI.
I might also add, I've had no issues with the iPad Mini 4

Last edited:
Reactions: BossBob and Fergy
99FD5064-F87C-473E-8A4E-32D59046ED39.jpeg I was using the arms of the RC at first. Then I switched to the Mavmount and like it better. The thing with using the arms on the RC makes it difficult to get to the sport mode switch on the right side.

Attachments

• 77743102-E145-42C1-AB4B-58ABB8CD3093.jpeg
    77743102-E145-42C1-AB4B-58ABB8CD3093.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
Question for those flying with a Mini4, do you have the arms hold it in portrait orientation, or did you get a holding frame, and if so, which?
The iPad Mini will fit in the remote controller arms like this:

If that's too awkward, then try one of these commonly used remote controller mounts:

Anbee or FStop Labs

Mount-Anbee-FStop-Labs.jpg

Hooshion or SKYREAT Extended (see it in action here)

Mount-Hooshion-SKYREAT-Extended.jpg

Lekufee or SKYREAT Compact (see it in action here)

Mount-Lekufee-SKYREAT-Compact.jpg

MavMount (see it in action here)

Mount-MavMount.jpg

PGYTECH (see it in action here)

Mount-PGYTECH.jpg

LifThor (see it in action here)

Mount-LifThor.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 32025 I was using the arms of the RC at first. Then I switched to the Mavmount and like it better. The thing with using the arms on the RC makes it difficult to get to the sport mode switch on the right side.

I took a small file and CAREFULLY filed the edge of the arm, just enough, to get some clearance to access the sport mode switch with my finger nail. Works Okay, and one less item to deal with. Also, without a neck lanyard, the controller is awkward to hold using an additional mount

Last edited:
Got an IPad Mini 4 as soon as it became known that the Mini 2 was causing video breakup on the Inspire 1 & P3P I also own. Have always used the Mini 4 with the Mavic as it's a fantastic fit with an 8" right angle cable. I almost cry when I have to use the bulky controllers the other drones use. In short the Mini 4 is the perfect companion to your Mavic period. My only concern is Apple not making a newer version and the Go App becoming too much for it meaning the old Mini 2 problems coming back. I also keep an IPod Touch 6 handy as a backup which is also very good if not small.

I took a small file and CAREFULLY filed the edge of the arm, just enough, to get some clearance to access the sport mode switch with my finger nail. Works Okay, and one less item to deal with. Also, without a neck lanyard, the controller is awkward to hold using an additional mount

[emoji106]

IMG_4945.JPG

I have also gone from an S8+ to a secondhand iPad mini 4. I did try the mini in the arms to start with but found the angle for viewing vs comfortable flying position all wrong for me. Grabbed an arm held tablet mount with sun hood and have really enjoyed the difference. It will be a matter of personal preference but I suggest that your final setup allows view of the controller screen also.
Good luck and fly well.

Why bother with a Mini 4 if you're going to have a mount? The whole point is to be portable, and using that mount 100% defeats the purpose. Also, the Mini 4 is inferior to the 5th generation iPad and iPad Pro by a significant margin, along with a much smaller screen. Considering you could just buy a 5th gen iPad for $250, not even cost is in the Mini 4's favor, so there's no reason to bother with a Mini 4 if you plan on buying a mount.

Reactions: phantomi
Why bother with a Mini 4 if you're going to have a mount? The whole point is to be portable, and using that mount 100% defeats the purpose. Also, the Mini 4 is inferior to the 5th generation iPad and iPad Pro by a significant margin, along with a much smaller screen. Considering you could just buy a 5th gen iPad for $250, not even cost is in the Mini 4's favor, so there's no reason to bother with a Mini 4 if you plan on buying a mount.
But if you don't want to deal with an adapter, the mini 4 is the way to go.

Reactions: MichiganMavic
Where did you buy the cable at?
Thank you

Got an IPad Mini 4 as soon as it became known that the Mini 2 was causing video breakup on the Inspire 1 & P3P I also own. Have always used the Mini 4 with the Mavic as it's a fantastic fit with an 8" right angle cable. I almost cry when I have to use the bulky controllers the other drones use. In short the Mini 4 is the perfect companion to your Mavic period. My only concern is Apple not making a newer version and the Go App becoming too much for it meaning the old Mini 2 problems coming back. I also keep an IPod Touch 6 handy as a backup which is also very good if not small.

I use a mount for my Ipad Mini 4, plugged into the USB port on the controller. It works for me. Takes only a minute to set up. I was impressed with the design of the mount, how compact it becomes when storing.

Having it in the arms works great and you get the added advantage of it not interfering with the antennas like some of the aftermarket arms can.
Also I found out that when I first started to use my Mini4 even though I had the screen brightness all the way up, it still seemed quite dark. Then I discovered that you cannot see the screen very well at all if you are using polarized sunglasses. Best not to use sunglasses of any sort at all. They just defeat the otherwise bright screen.
Also important to turn your volume way up so you can hear the alerts or alarms.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103