DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with Ipad/Tablet?

Dincena

Reactions
Hey all, wanting to start flying the MA2 with a tablet. Using the DJI Fly app with ocusync 2.0 would the tablet im using need data/internet connection to fly? If so would connecting the tablet to my cell phone via hotspot work? Thanks any info is appreciated.

Nope, your tablet can be in airplane mode (recommended) and it will operate the drone no problem. Which tablet are you planning on using?

So the drone requires no internet connection whatsoever to fly? It gets its signal & GPS through the app?

I have a galaxy tab 8.0 or I could steal my sons ipad mini ?

Correct - no internet connection is required. I usually, open the Fly app before I travel to where I’m going to fly & navigate the map view to cache the local map area. Then I put it in airplane mode to reduce any interference from it with the RC to drone link. I’m an iPhone 11 & iPad 2019 user, can’t comment on the Galaxy 8 tablet. Which iPad mini version has your son got?

So the drone requires no internet connection whatsoever to fly? It gets its signal & GPS through the app?
Your Mavic has its own GPS receiver - that's the only way it (and you) would know where it is.
It gets GPS data from satellites and the app gets location, telemetry and video from the controller.
The control signal is via radio straight from the controller.

Reactions: Dincena
Correct - no internet connection is required. I usually, open the Fly app before I travel to where I’m going to fly & navigate the map view to cache the local map area. Then I put it in airplane mode to reduce any interference from it with the RC to drone link. I’m an iPhone 11 & iPad 2019 user, can’t comment on the Galaxy 8 tablet. Which iPad mini version has your son got?
4th generation 7.9"
I'm going to start using that instead of the phone im quite nervous after my crash flying the drone via phone with all the texts/calls/data coming in and out. Thank you

Reactions: Inspirephil
Your Mavic has its own GPS receiver - that's the only way it (and you) would know where it is.
It gets GPS data from satellites and the app gets location, telemetry and video from the controller.
The control signal is via radio straight from the controller.
That makes alot of sense, ipad mini it is. Thank you!

Just note that with no cellular/gps on the tablet, find my drone won't operate...it'll show where your drone was last seen/crashed, but it won't guide you to it like a phone or tablet with gps would.

Obviously if your tablet has cellular/gps then this point is moot.

Just note that with no cellular/gps on the tablet, find my drone won't operate...it'll show where your drone was last seen/crashed, but it won't guide you to it like a phone or tablet with gps would.

Obviously if your tablet has cellular/gps then this point is moot.

So flying with a tablet with no cellular data, would the compass in the lower center of the screen telling me which way myself and the drone are facing work? I'm assuming no, and that kinda sucks. ?

So flying with a tablet with no cellular data, would the compass in the lower center of the screen telling me which way myself and the drone are facing work? I'm assuming no, and that kinda sucks. ?
Im not 100% sure if the compass and the gps/cellular are related mate.

If the tablet has no gps the app doesn't know where it is, that's why FMD doesn't work.

Reactions: InvisibleName
So flying with a tablet with no cellular data, would the compass in the lower center of the screen telling me which way myself and the drone are facing work? I'm assuming no, and that kinda sucks.
Yes, it would work just fine.
The compass sensor has nothing to do with GPS.
If the tablet has no gps the app doesn't know where it is, that's why FMD doesn't work.
And if he has an Android tablet, they all have GPS (except for one odd, old Samsung).

Reactions: gb160 and Dincena
Yes, it would work just fine.
The compass sensor has nothing to do with GPS.

And if he has an Android tablet, they all have GPS (except for one odd, old Samsung).
That is good news. Thank you Meta4 you seem to have all the answers lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf