DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with line of sight

Desertdude

Reactions
i was flying my Mavic in an open area about 1/2 mile from my house. Then I got daring and took it up 200 feet and turned it towards my house. It was a cloudy day and when the Mavic was maybe less than half way there I could not see it. I was flying by my iPhone. I paid close attention to make sure I didn't get a weak signal which I didn't.
My question is how how are people flying with line of sight when I only went a 1/2 mile and couldn't see the drone. It was a little scary. If I flew a mile or two what the heck would that be like.

You just fly by looking at your screen instead of watching the bird. You'll gain confidence pretty quickly & it's easier using a tablet then phone.

Reactions: Andrew F
In my opinion, I take "line of sight" as a line from the mavic to the controller without any obstructions. It doesn't literally mean to have a visual confirmation of the mavic using your eyes. The mavic could be 3 miles away and you cannot see it. But your controller can still "see" the mavic.

Just make sure you have your home point set up and current. Mine was only 900 feet from me today but it was hazy and cloudy and I couldn't see it. I was flying by my phone. Then the phone died.... because I couldn't see it, I was completely blind. I pushed RTH and it came sailing back. If that home point wasn't current it would have been difficult to get that bird back.

In my opinion, I take "line of sight" as a line from the mavic to the controller without any obstructions. It doesn't literally mean to have a visual confirmation of the mavic using your eyes. The mavic could be 3 miles away and you cannot see it. But your controller can still "see" the mavic.

I like your opinion, and REALLY wish it applied, but it does not (PLEASE let's not get into a urinating contest interpreting the rules). The FAA has outlined them pretty darn clearly, full contents of the FAA SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107) can be found here:

Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC 20591

SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107)

• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer.
  • At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Last edited:
LOS is pretty well and clearly defined in the various jurisdictions. BS opinions count for nought.
I surprised myself in being able to see mine out out to 2,800' away. Ideal conditions and knowing where to look I guess.

I have always been curious as how realistic to follow the rule (Line of Sight) in a real world. If I have spotter with me, sure that can be done. But most of the time, I am out there all by myself. I have to admit that I lose my line of sight almost every time. How many of you was able to follow the rule strictly?

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
I like your opinion, and REALLY wish it applied, but it does not (PLEASE let's not get into a urinating contest interpreting the rules). The FAA has outlined them pretty darn clearly, full contents of the FAA SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107) can be found here:

• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer.
  • At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

I truly understand where you're coming from. I'm not saying I plan on flying my mavic 3 miles out, but there are circumstances where I simply cannot see the mavic even if it's just 100 feet away from me. I do try my best to follow the FAA rules and making sure I fly responsibly.

Exactly correct.

In your opinion ;)

The rules are the rules . What you do, or how you or I chose to interpret them is an entirely different thing..

Where I live..

Visual line of sight (VLOS)
Keeping the unmanned aircraft in visual line of sight at all times unaided (except for prescription glasses or sunglasses) without the use of binoculars, telescopes or zoom lenses i.e. not flying the into clouds or fog, behind trees, buildings or other (even partial) obstructions.

Beyond visual - line-of-sight (BVLOS)
Flying an RPA without the remote pilot having a visual line of sight at all times. Instead, the remote pilot flies the aircraft from a remote pilot station (RPS)

In my opinion it is Exactly correct that the Mavic is fully capable of BVLOS.

Reactions: MavicMo
In your opinion ;)

The rules are the rules . What you do, or how you or I chose to interpret them is an entirely different thing..

Where I live..

Visual line of sight (VLOS)
Keeping the unmanned aircraft in visual line of sight at all times unaided (except for prescription glasses or sunglasses) without the use of binoculars, telescopes or zoom lenses i.e. not flying the into clouds or fog, behind trees, buildings or other (even partial) obstructions.

Beyond visual - line-of-sight (BVLOS)
Flying an RPA without the remote pilot having a visual line of sight at all times. Instead, the remote pilot flies the aircraft from a remote pilot station (RPS)

In my opinion it is Exactly correct that the Mavic is fully capable of BVLOS.
Haha. Yes. That is the definition. What I am referring to is the ability to actually keep control over your drone. So many mistakes are made when people allow their drone to go out of line of sight and or visual line-of-sight.

After 4 years of flying quads I have found that I can visually see my Yuneec Q500 and DJI F450 out to about 1/2 mile under ideal conditions and the quad is above the ground horizon. HOWEVER, if it take my eyes off the quad for even a moment, the chances of regaining eyeball visual is near impossible until you get much closer.
Since I have been flying all manner of RC aircraft for over 40 years, and until FPV became readily available, you NEVER-EVER let your aircraft out of sight for ANY reason unless you wanted to go home without it.
Even with FPV on both my quads (the Mavic hasn't arrived at my door yet), I still follow those same rules. I fly it visually using the FPV only as an enhancement for best photo/video positioning.

Reactions: Yoshizakura
I have lost visibility of mine 20 feet away because of the background. Could hear it but could not see it. Now for the people that r following the rules to a T. What r your thoughts on the goggles. As soon as u put them on u r breaking the rules. Mavic is 5 feet in front of u but u have goggles on so zero visual line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I'm using mine most often for filming sharks and whales and other amazing creatures in the ocean. It is virtually impossible for me to do this and to keep my eyes on that tiny little Mavic. If my Mavic crashes, the only one who could possibly be hurt is me. As it slowly but inexorably descends to the Bottom of the Sea. I always employ vlos if there is even a one-in-a-million chance that the Drone could crash in a populated area.

One thought about comparing the Mavic to a RC helicopter. The one poster said that you always keep your eyes on an RC helicopter or you're probably not going to be able to go home with it.

My thought when I read that is that when I see the little Mavic as a speck, I can't tell its orientation, so I could not fly it home just from looking at it. I still have to look at my controller to see its orientation. An RC helicopter far away I guess you would trial-and-error it until it seemed to move closer to you.

Last edited:

Just trying to understand all the rules and have to ask. If this states (Part 107) then isn't it referring to commercial pilots of UAV and not the hobby flyer?

If this states (Part 107) then isn't it referring to commercial pilots of UAV and not the hobby flyer?
Yes. You can find the rules/laws that apply to hobbyists here.

Just trying to understand all the rules and have to ask. If this states (Part 107) then isn't it referring to commercial pilots of UAV and not the hobby flyer?
I just posted all the US and FAA regulations on the Mavic Pro Help forum. Go take a look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO