DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with Smartphone.. need tips and experiences for mountain biking shots

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm looking for tips from those that have used a smartphone to control the Mavic Air.
I'm a mountain biker and I want to do some activetrack and selfie shots using the Mavic Air but I don't want to carry around my remote.
I want to be able to line up the shot, turn on activetrack, then lock the screen of the phone and toss it into my jersey pocket until I'm done with the shot.
With the screen locked on the phone will the app stop working causing the "lost signal" situation to come about on the Air or will the app just continue functioning with the app in the background and until I unlock the phone again?

Any other tips for those that bike with their air would be appreciated.

I’d be interested if you could report back how well this works and if you were able to ride at at decent speed without it losing you. Keep in mind you’ll need to enable “dynamic home point” because by default it can only go so far from the homepoint with just the mobile device.

Reactions: Firejay27
I’d be interested if you could report back how well this works and if you were able to ride at at decent speed without it losing you. Keep in mind you’ll need to enable “dynamic home point” because by default it can only go so far from the homepoint with just the mobile device.
Thanks for that tip. I didn't think about using the dynamic home point. Definitely something to remember.

What about a handlebar mount for your phone? Then you can keep your screen unlocked and also intermittently check that it's not lost the active track too.

What about a handlebar mount for your phone? Then you can keep your screen unlocked and also intermittently check that it's not lost the active track too.
I've been looking at those but some of the stuff I ride is pretty rough and I don't trust the mounts to hold on. Not to mention the bouncing the phone would take on the bars vs in my back jersey pocket.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada