DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with the Gimbal Guard on?

Julian Davies

Reactions
I notice on the Official DJI Mavic "Flying for fun" video, that the 2 young lads put the DJI Goggles on and then fly their Mavic's with the gimbal guards on.

From what i have seen and read you should not do this as it blocks the vents behind the camera.

Anyone have any views on this?

I notice on the Official DJI Mavic "Flying for fun" video, that the 2 young lads put the DJI Goggles on and then fly their Mavic's with the gimbal guards on.

From what i have seen and read you should not do this as it blocks the vents behind the camera.

Anyone have any views on this?
Already thrashed to death (and tested) Here on this thread - Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why

Reactions: dam
that did not take long to read. @The Editor i don't call 4 posts thrashed to death.

Back to my original post. If your not advised to fly with the guard on why does the DJI Video show them doing it. A bit confusing..

that did not take long to read. @The Editor i don't call 4 posts thrashed to death.

Back to my original post. If your not advised to fly with the guard on why does the DJI Video show them doing it. A bit confusing..
Probably because their video making guy is not in close contact with their engineers. From outside testing, your Mavic will run hotter with it on. So up to you if you want to take that chance.

The video shows them racing, possibly in sports mode. Maybe running at those speeds will allow enough air into the slit of the gimbal dome protector and enough air to pass the belly to cool it down.

Reactions: Julian Davies
Could you simply drill a few small holes in the gimbal guard to let more air through? I don't have my mavic yet so just guessing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think the fan is more for when its stationary, like when you just landed and its post flight hot. all it does is blow the air down through a scoop along the belly on the lower side of its fuselage. I'm sure it's not required and tuns off when moving around as it'll do far less than the actual airflow.

Reactions: Julian Davies
I did my first flight with the cover on the mavic and noticed the bottom plate was a bit warm though the outside temperature was only 10°C. I did the second and third flight without the gimbal cover and noticed, that the bottom plate was cold after the flight. Perhaps the air flow is needed to cool down the electronis inside and the cover restrains the air cooling.

Already thrashed to death (and tested) Here on this thread - Mavic Pro Running Hot? Here's Why

Rick from Drone Valley is excellent, I'd recommend anyone with the Mavic or just into drones period to subscribe to him. He has a lot of knowledge, and learns everything about products and then let's us know. He said he believes the Mavic is so well built after taking it apart that he can't believe it's only 999, he thinks it could've ran for 1500 to 2000.

Devin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair