DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying without sticks, just thumbs.

Anybody else finding the controller a bit more responsive using one's thumbs rather than the sticks??

Um no, not at all and not going to try it either. I personally don't think this is the best way in which to maintain control. If this is better for you then by all means stick with it or better said, stick without it. ?

The size of my new Smart Controller caused me to think this. It is so large compared to what I'm accustomed to that I was thinking of giving it a go.

To each his own.

I agree and it is not at all an personal attack on you gdich. I just imagine so many things that can possibly go wrong. Thumbs might be a little sweaty, lack of full movement, who knows. I do wish you much fun flying and best to you. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Longer stick give greater control, you have to move the end of the stick further to get the same movement of the drone, this makes it easier to get a smother control.
No sticks at all undoubtedly make it more responsive because it will move with the tiniest of input making it difficult to be acurate.

Longer stick give greater control, you have to move the end of the stick further to get the same movement of the drone, this makes it easier to get a smother control.
No sticks at all undoubtedly make it more responsive because it will move with the tiniest of input making it difficult to be acurate.
Interesting perspective - and sounds (in my head) to be true.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Interesting perspective - and sounds (in my head) to be true.

It’s true even if I didn’t explain it very well.
Think what it would be like if you had a tiny steering wheel in your car, 1” of movement would be the same as 6” on your normal wheel, would you be driving smoothly or erratically.

To each his own.
What doses that mean? You ask for comments/opinions you shouldn’t be prickly when people take the time to respond.

All people are trying to point out to you is a well established observation. Look at the RC hobby, anyone interested in fine control would go looking for solutions to increase the stick length as well as playing with gains and expos. Most who fly a camera drone are in the pursuit of ways to make flight smoother.

If you were into racing drones shorter sticks might be a great upgrade for a skilled operator.

Think what it would be like if you had a tiny steering wheel in your car, 1” of movement would be the same as 6” on your normal wheel, would you be driving smoothly or erratically.
You dropped the analogy I was thinking of offering.

The other point here is the vehicle manufacturer would have spent a lot of time in determining the optimum size for the steering when taking into acoustic the suspension geometry and intended use (amongst other things).

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Yes - of course. You explained it fine. The longer the stick - the more precision.
What goes in hand with this is the controller being "sensitive" enough to detect small movement.
Akin to the DPI of a computers mouse where some are more "sensitive" than others - and in modern OS, can be adjusted for more or less.

So did you think you had more control with no sticks ?
I can see where he is going with this. When you don't need the precision - sport mode - wide open area, short sticks could be advantageous - haven't tried this myself, but am likely to.

I do it often enough myself. Really helps when trying to get mild movements for video. With sticks removed, there is still a little bump to still push against. Personally I keep trying to find shorty sticks to replace the long stock ones.

I do it often enough myself. Really helps when trying to get mild movements for video. With sticks removed, there is still a little bump to still push against. Personally I keep trying to find shorty sticks to replace the long stock ones.
I'm going to have to test this first hand. My new smart controller causes me to hold my hands differently and I keep thinking I need to try shorter sticks. Got a lanyard coming which might help out.

So - thumbs on the "nubs" offer a finer degree of control due the way thumbs work perhaps - part of the thumb is resting on the controller rather than "up in the air" pushing the stick? Assuming you use your thumbs for control.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I would like shorter sticks..I think! .. longer sticks give too much leverage to feel good to me. I've flown without sticks and than was a... uh...no. With the simple screw on the Air 2 I might have to carefully check the size and thread and find something that I can cut down..some type of softer material so that I don't louse up threads on the controller.

I’ve tried it just for the heck of it. I was able to have full control no problems at all but I just did not like it been flying for 25+ years I like the sticks lol.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov