DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus Issues

Maddox24

Reactions
It’s been a battle and still is. I’ve read a ton of threads on Mavics going out of focus and not being able to get it back. I’ve tried all recalls and factory resets.
Anyone here having this same issue and was able to fix the problem?
Thanks
Chris
Mavic ProbPlatinum.

This may be a similar situation, but my MPP was focusing perfectly for hundreds of flights over many months, and in all kinds of weather. Then upon landing and switching the battery, it no longer focused. I tried all sorts of things to get it to focus... calibration, updating firmware, even smacking it with a screwdriver... nothing worked.

To fix it, I installed a whole new gimbal/lens unit. To verify the failure of the original, I installed the old lens on the new gimbal. It still would not focus, proving it was the lens unit and not any of the cables or control board.

From this I've learned that a lens can simply fail for no good reason. I have two additional lens units on the way from Amazon for spare. ;)

Reactions: Bsimons
Hey
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of sending it off to Thunder drones but, was it easy enough to switch out the camera casing? Can you send me the part number for Amazon?
Thanks
Chris

Reactions: charliej
Hey
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of sending it off to Thunder drones but, was it easy enough to switch out the camera casing? Can you send me the part number for Amazon?
Thanks
Chris
Here's YouTube video on how to replace the lens. It's easy, except there can be an excessive amount of goop behind the lens making it really difficult to separate it from the gimbal. At least that's what happened to my original lens.

Here is a listing for a new lens from Amazon. There may be other sources that are less expensive. If you get it from a source in the US, it cost more; from China it cost less but you have wait a lifetime for it to arrive.
Amazon.com: Yoton Accessories Drone Gimbal Camera Lens Mini Portable 4K Video Camera Repair Part for DJI Mavic PRO Drone Replacement Accessories: Toys & Games

So that's not just the lens but the entire sensor assembly.
I seem to recall on the Phantom 3 that the sensor can get out of alignment in relation to its mount and the actual lens.

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom with no focus problems. Yesterday I bought a Mavic 2 Pro, installed a slow sd card and tried it out in autofocus mode. It would not focus properly. This morning I swapped the slow sd card with a fast Sandisk Extereme card. With the fast sd card the focus is fine. I don't understand how the card would make any difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji