DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus Peaking and Threshold Values

flumpet

Reactions
I may be a little late to the game but i finally found out the Mavic has focus peaking! Well, not exactly that. I heard it does focus peaking quite a while ago but i was never able to find it or needed it, and it soon became a distant memory. However a question posed by my friend and also a fellow mavic flyer got me interested and i started digging thru the menus and lo and behold, i activated the focus peaking mode.

IMG_4644.PNG

Here you can clearly see the red line surrounding my charging hub. I'm not really sure of the 70,80, and 90% threshold values, but what i notice is that at 90%, when i scroll thru the focus regions on the slider, the red lines arent really obvious, whilst at 70%, the lines are very obvious.

So i'm guessing the higher the threshold, the finer the control over the focussing, and probably you need to spend more time and be a little gentler on the slider to achieve accurate focus.

Hi flumpet,

Sounds interesting, so if i understand you right playing with these settings will give the Mavic more accurate tap focus?

Not sure what you mean with the 70, 80 and 90% threshhold tho, can you clarify this?
(Waiting on my Mavic so i can't play with these settings jet, but i am a sponge for all info in the meantime).

Hi flumpet,

Sounds interesting, so if i understand you right playing with these settings will give the Mavic more accurate tap focus?

Not sure what you mean with the 70, 80 and 90% threshhold tho, can you clarify this?
(Waiting on my Mavic so i can't play with these settings jet, but i am a sponge for all info in the meantime).
Focus peaking was a tool created by Sony(I think) to help with accurate manual focussing. There are many ways it can be visualised, either by zebra lines, or in this case, a glowing red outline.

When you are in manual focus mode, you can use the slider to adjust the focus from near to infinity. However, being at infinity does not always guarantee a sharp focus.

That's when the focus peaking comes into play. It shows you exactly at the moment which point in your frame is in focus(when your drone is stationary of course).

As for the threshold values, I did a little reading up and found out it refers to the maximum amount of pixels in focus. Not really sure what that means but I'm thinking at higher thresholds, the system will show the areas in focus more clearly and accurately. Think of it as fine focussing. A high threshold tells the software to be very exact, and a lower one at 70% gives you more leeway.

So for example, say if I have an object at an angle to me(like a building) and I do focus peaking at 70% threshold, when the building is in focus you see basically a glowing red line all around the edges of the building. However at 90%, when u carry out manual focussing, the glowing red line is more specific and doesn't glow completely around the whole building. It willl probably shift across parts of the building as you adjust focus.

Reactions: Crusader
Focus peaking was a tool created by Sony(I think) to help with accurate manual focussing. There are many ways it can be visualised, either by zebra lines, or in this case, a glowing red outline.

When you are in manual focus mode, you can use the slider to adjust the focus from near to infinity. However, being at infinity does not always guarantee a sharp focus.

That's when the focus peaking comes into play. It shows you exactly at the moment which point in your frame is in focus(when your drone is stationary of course).

As for the threshold values, I did a little reading up and found out it refers to the maximum amount of pixels in focus. Not really sure what that means but I'm thinking at higher thresholds, the system will show the areas in focus more clearly and accurately. Think of it as fine focussing. A high threshold tells the software to be very exact, and a lower one at 70% gives you more leeway.

So for example, say if I have an object at an angle to me(like a building) and I do focus peaking at 70% threshold, when the building is in focus you see basically a glowing red line all around the edges of the building. However at 90%, when u carry out manual focussing, the glowing red line is more specific and doesn't glow completely around the whole building. It willl probably shift across parts of the building as you adjust focus.
Nicely done flumpet. That is exactly it.

I'm a beginner when it comes to photography. Personally I find the red lines on the display annoying. When Peak Focus Threshold is set to "None" does it actually affect the camera's focus or does it simply remove the red lines from the display?

When Peak Focus Threshold is set to "None" does it actually affect the camera's focus or does it simply remove the red lines from the display?
It just removes the red lines from the display.

I've been searching for a while now, but i can't find the setting for the "Focus Peaking and Threshold Values" on my Litchi (Android) app. :(
Is this only available on iOS and/or DJI Go4?

I've been searching for a while now, but i can't find the setting for the "Focus Peaking and Threshold Values" on my Litchi (Android) app. :(
Is this only available on iOS and/or DJI Go4?
I think it is only on the GO4 app.

The Android app always seems to lag behind a lot. I understand DJI has to submit app updates to both the Android and Apple app stores, but the changes are rarely done to both apps at the same time.

I hope DJI will get the Android version in a right manner, because I'm using 3 apps at the moment to get everyting the way i want it to.
Dji Go4 to get acces to some parts (i don't thrust the app for flying :()
Litchi to make mission planing and flying :)
DU screen recorder to record my flying. :)
IMHO, I'd rather see it in ONE app ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007