DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow me climb/descend

Uralguy

Reactions
Does anyone know if in active track or follow me mode, will the mavik climb and descend if i am driving on hilly roads? Or does it use the barometer to pick 1 single altitude?

Also, i will be driving up a mountain so the barometer will change dramatically throughout the drive...

It only follows your going up, not when your going down hill.

Rob

In Active Track, it follows you up AND down as long as the bird is in visual sensor range, usually below 33 feet.

In Active Track, it follows you up AND down as long as the bird is in visual sensor range, usually below 33 feet.
Wanted to jump in here. I think this should be 100% confirmed. I don't think it does either. I believe it is a fixed altitude for Active Track and Follow Me. So if you are doing Active Track and climbing, best to choose your ending elevation.

Sorry if wrong, worth a discussion.

Thanks gang i will do some testing.

Also mine takes off to about 15feet during auto take off instead of the 1.2 meters.....

Any solutions?

Also mine takes off to about 15feet during auto take off instead of the 1.2 meters.....

Any solutions?
Disable the "Precision Landing" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Precision-Landing.jpg

Reactions: Path Finder
Wanted to jump in here. I think this should be 100% confirmed. I don't think it does either. I believe it is a fixed altitude for Active Track and Follow Me. So if you are doing Active Track and climbing, best to choose your ending elevation.

That would be about 3000feet...
Disable the "Precision Landing" setting in DJI GO.

View attachment 17968
that affects the take off?

I have personally confirmed this on multiple occasions. It wasn't possible with very early Go app versions only. It follows terrain in Active Track when below 10m. I think it maintains altitude in Follow Me mode though.

I have personally confirmed this on multiple occasions. It wasn't possible with very early Go app versions only. It follows terrain in Active Track when below 10m. I think it maintains altitude in Follow Me mode though.

You sure you don't have it backwards? Follow me should maintain the distance between you and the drone by comparing GPS positions of the RC and the Drone, Active track is based on optical recognition.. but I'll take your word for it if it comes from personal experience

Thank you i will test ot tomorrow. My elevation change will be about 3000ft

No. Active track is simply that. It follows and doesn't compensate for elevation.

I used active track to follow my car in hilly terrain. I compensated for elevation changes by keeping my craft at an altitude that would avoid any obstacles.

Yuneec' Typhoon H had an attachable transmitter with internal barometer to instruct the craft to climb/ descend.

This was my test. I put the Mavic in Active Track Mode, Profile setting. Set elevation at 16 feet. Rode my bike slowly down hill, about 12 feet elevation change. Rode back up hill back to home point. The Mavic maintained the same relative distance and position from me the whole time. At the bottom of the hill, visual sensors reported about 4 feet elevation. Back up the hill at home point, it was reading 16 feet again. The Mavic followed the changing terrain with small fluctuations only. I repeated the test weeks later with the same result. I don't know if speed has anything to do with following this way. But it will only work if you are in range of the bottom visual sensors (below 10m).
If you use the Terrain Follow Mode, the Mavic will only ascend with terrain changes, and never descend. I've tested this also.
I have not tested Follow Me Mode.

You sure you don't have it backwards? Follow me should maintain the distance between you and the drone by comparing GPS positions of the RC and the Drone, Active track is based on optical recognition.. but I'll take your word for it if it comes from personal experience
I have never used Follow Me Mode. I am sure of the results I got for my bird using Active Track, Profile setting.

All the crashes Ive seen on youtube vids suggest there is no altitude change in active track.

I havnt used any functions discused in this thread yet but am worried people are talking about old software.

I will enventually test this but appreciate the results of others who test first.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7