DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For all pilots newbies

Bergumbira

Reactions
Trust me and use this post as your back screen phone.

You just got or will have soon your 1st drone ever?! And you wish make it last longer than a month..?! Read this!!!

Understand that flying/piloting is not natural for human beings, flying remotely less endangered yourself but it's even less natural, taking pictures and videos while flying a remote device it's even more complicated.

Don't be a heroe of dead drone while trying to fly in your backyard, over water, under bridges and other so exciting way. Keep that for in a month or two...

A) Days/weeks Prior the first flight:

1) Order floats for your drone as, soon or later, you will fly over water.

2) Watch online tens (but better hundred+) tutorials and crashes videos about drones, your model and other models. All kind of crash. Learn. Learn... And learn. If you don't, you will be soon in that collection of dead drones, trust me.

3) Spot an open area with no trees (and no tree means 0 tree, not the single one into which you will crash as I read in this forum today), no water, no public, no main road, no aerial wires of any kinds. Be familiar with this place, check out if birds play around and which kind.
If is no such areas reachable be ready to lost your drone in many different way, crash, lost, sunk... Just make your pick.

B) Hours before 1st flight:

1) Be familiar with your drone, body, accessories, propellers, batteries, sd card, gimbal and lock...

2) Read the user guide twice and more, forward and backward.

3) Do a preflight checklist and print it, your screen phone will be busy at the time of fly.

4) Watch again some tutorials and crashes.

C) While operating your training
(1st week flights)

0) Do not use fpv goggles during that period

1) Stay in beginner mode. Even it's frustrating.

2) Don't bother about video or photo. Start video before take off then stop it after landing. Not using too high resolution or your shooting will end before the landing.

3) Keep your drone in visual sight and be able to check around in the sky and on the ground what is going on time to time.

4) Fly all your saoul and batteries

5) Go back home, refill batteries, check your movies, check your flight logs fully.

6) From 2nd or 3rd session only try some tracking mode

D) Once you feel more comfortable

1) Fly with normal mode, stop using beginner mode but DO NOT fly in Sport Mode.

2) Start bothering photo and video settings while flying

3) Learn fly low level, above water, under trees, use slow speed, tripod mode, use floats, be sure you can reach the drone by swimming or with canoe.

4) Learn take-off & landing from your hand.

E) After few months

You now can fly into Sport Mode if needed.
You can now fly with fpv goggles but this is still at risk as you cannot checkout the surroundings.

You are now an expert, you created automatisme that will make you avoiding many crash to come.

F) ALWAYS:

1) switch off your sim card if using a smartphone or tablet with sim card. Receiving a call while flying is the last thing on hearth you want.

2) Triple check your checklist and the surroundings, buildings, wires, ppl, especially kids, pets & wild animals..

G) NEVER:

- Fly inside
- Under the rain
- Into the darkness
- Fly from a moving boat at the sea on which one you have no control of direction as a ferry
- Fly in a tunnel
- Above water even with floats if you haven't possibilities to reach it after water emergency landing.
- Landing near small kids, animals and other unpredictable behaviors as drunk guys..
- Accept/offer to lend the rc to someone for try

Last edited:

You got or will have soon your 1st drone ever. And you wish make it last longer than a month.. Read this.

Understand that flying/piloting is not natural for human beings, flying remotely less endangered yourself but it's even less natural, taking pictures and videos while flying a remote device it's even more complicated.

Don't be a heroe of dead drone while trying to fly in your backyard, over water, under bridges and other so exciting way. Keep that for in a month or two...

Days/weeks Prior the first flight:

2) Watch online tens (but better hundred+) tutorials and crashes videos about drones, your model and other models. All kind of crash. Learn. Learn... And learn. If you don't, you will be soon in that collection of dead drones, trust me.

3) Spot an open area with no trees (and no tree means 0 tree, not the single one into which you will crash as I read in this forum today), no water, no public, no main road, no aerial wires of any kinds. Be familiar with this place, check out if birds play around and which kind.
If is no such areas reachable be ready to lost your drone in many different way, crash, lost, sunk... Just make your pick.

Hours before 1st flight:

1) Be familiar with your drone, body, accessories, propellers, batteries, sd card, gimbal and lock...

3) Do a preflight checklist and print it, your screen phone will be busy at the time of fly.

While operating your training
(1st week flights)

1) Stay in beginner mode.

2) Don't bother about video or photo. Start video before take off then stop it after landing. Not using too high resolution or your shooting will end before the landing.

3) Keep your drone i visual sight and be able to check around in the sky and on the ground what is going on time to time.

5) Go back home, refill batteries, check your movies, check your flight logs fully.

Once you feel more comfortable

3) Learn fly low level, above water, under trees, use slow speed, tripod mode, use floats, be sure you can reach the drone by swimming or with canoe.

After few months

You are now an expert, you created automatisme that will make you avoiding many crash to come.

NEVER:

- Fly inside
- Fly from a moving boat at the sea on which one you have no control of direction as a ferry
- Fly in a tunnel
- Above water even with floats if you haven't possibilities to reach it after water emergency landing.

Good info.

I'm on flight 5. Would love to hear more about 1. Floaters 2. The flight modes. 3. Anything you care to elaborate on regarding the pre flight checklist (anything I maybe overlooking). I have been a YouTube junkie the last 2 weeks and it helps a lot. { I do wish most would "dumb down" the portion of their videos where they actually show you where the settings are actually manipulated (example: yaw end point sensitivity) as I am guessing a lot of tutorials look somewhat different now than they did 4 months ago due to firmware updates altering software interface ... but that's prob just me being a noobie. }

I did buy the rod and reel floater but I have yet to attach it. Where is on the drone is best?

After about 3 min into the 1st flight after I got my bearings I disabled beginner mode. I wasn't a daredevil just wanted to push the ceiling. Now I have explore tap fly and track me but that's it. I do want to know more about the other modes (specifically tripod). When people use them and why ...

The few times I have tried my hand at the cinematography mode I did it in an open field at low altitude just to see the "smoothness" in action. I liked how it handled. Would like to know how others use this, especially when flying it long distances or when it is not in your line of sight.

I still haven't tried sport mode. Doesn't seem like it that great of an option unless you are racing?

The main thing missing i can see is *read the manual*. A large chunk of questions, problems and crashes posted on here stem from the users not understanding the functions at all. A lot of which are detailed clearly in the manual. Read it and be familiar with how each mode and and the limitations before moving on. Other than its pretty much non existent DJI Go documentation the mavic manual is pretty good at explaining how each bit works, handles and potential problems.

Id also disagree with floats - why screw up handling and flight characteristics of the thing with draggy, heavy floats. Just learn to fly it - over land first cautiously and try to NOT crash it into water. (The thing has so many vents and holes even with floats a bit of salt spray from a landing can easily get inside and kill any electronics).

I still haven't tried sport mode. Doesn't seem like it that great of an option unless you are racing?

It does have a fairly vital "emergency" role for normal users. If its stuck in a strong wind you can't descend out of then anything over about 24mph in P-GPS mode the drone wont make any progress at all and be unable to return into it.
Sport mode will give you the power and speed needed to actually head into that wind and come home.
In addition its also a very quick way to disable sensors or any intelligent flight modes in the event of a problem.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial

You got or will have soon your 1st drone ever?! And you wish make it last longer than a month..?! Read this!!!

(1st week flights)

0) Do not use fpv googles during that period

3) Keep your drone in visual sight and be able to check around in the sky and on the ground what is going on time to time.

E) After few months

You can now fly with fpv googles but this is still at risk as you cannot checkout the surroundings.

F) ALWAYS:

1) switch off your sim card if using a smartphone or tablet with sim card. Receiving a call while flying is the last thing on hearth you want.

2) Triple check your checklist and the surroundings, buildings, wires, ppl, especially kids, pets & wild animals..

G) NEVER:

- Fly inside
- Under the rain
- Into the darkness
- Fly in a tunnel
- Landing near small kids, animals and other unpredictable behaviors as drunk guys..

Who Are YOU.?
I Classifie Myself as Newbie
This is not my first Drone/Quadecopter

So maybe this "Guide"
Is not for Me
.......................Would rate your Post 5 out of a 10
.............................. Come on you could do better then this.?
................C

Who Are YOU.?
I Classifie Myself as Newbie
This is not my first Drone/Quadecopter

So maybe this "Guide"
Is not for Me
.......................Would rate your Post 5 out of a 10
.............................. Come on you could do better then this.?
................C
I agree, if you have already flew/pilot one or + drone(s)/quadcopter... This post is not for you, even if you wanna still qualify yourself as a newbie.
Out of agreeing with this I'm not sure about your post purpose... Asking who I'm, rating my post... Saying I can do better than this....
I'm just sharing my thoughts, advices, experience, like anyone here...
Maybe your unwritten question is why I made this newbie guide??! Easy, I never crashed myself certainly because I applied for myself this newbie user guide behavior and unfortunately because all those crashes uploaded on YouTube was very educational. Also all these posts here asking help while already crashed. So I finally think that it will be good to share my thoughts here for those who wish keep their birds alive longer than a month.....Before they crash.
I wish you safe flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: butterflyslicer
The main thing missing i can see is *read the manual*. A large chunk of questions, problems and crashes posted on here stem from the users not understanding the functions at all. A lot of which are detailed clearly in the manual. Read it and be familiar with how each mode and and the limitations before moving on. Other than its pretty much non existent DJI Go documentation the mavic manual is pretty good at explaining how each bit works, handles and potential problems.

Id also disagree with floats - why screw up handling and flight characteristics of the thing with draggy, heavy floats. Just learn to fly it - over land first cautiously and try to NOT crash it into water. (The thing has so many vents and holes even with floats a bit of salt spray from a landing can easily get inside and kill any electronics).
Hi Gnirts :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I say it about the manual at B) 2. I call it "user guide".

About the floats, the set I bought online to theking (canada) are weightless maybe 20 gram in total. Most of the "lost at sea" I read was not due to the pilot errors but some breakdown from the mavic (battery error, software, lost connection, incomprehensible behavior) so pilot skill are mostly pointless while above water out of the altitude. At the end, whatever is the reason your drone is going in the sea the floats will allow you to get it back and to be in better position with dji care refresh.

Last edited:
Good info.

I'm on flight 5. Would love to hear more about 1. Floaters 2. The flight modes. 3. Anything you care to elaborate on regarding the pre flight checklist (anything I maybe overlooking). I have been a YouTube junkie the last 2 weeks and it helps a lot. { I do wish most would "dumb down" the portion of their videos where they actually show you where the settings are actually manipulated (example: yaw end point sensitivity) as I am guessing a lot of tutorials look somewhat different now than they did 4 months ago due to firmware updates altering software interface ... but that's prob just me being a noobie. }

I did buy the rod and reel floater but I have yet to attach it. Where is on the drone is best?

After about 3 min into the 1st flight after I got my bearings I disabled beginner mode. I wasn't a daredevil just wanted to push the ceiling. Now I have explore tap fly and track me but that's it. I do want to know more about the other modes (specifically tripod). When people use them and why ...

The few times I have tried my hand at the cinematography mode I did it in an open field at low altitude just to see the "smoothness" in action. I liked how it handled. Would like to know how others use this, especially when flying it long distances or when it is not in your line of sight.

Hi Palmetto :) Thanks for your post.
To attach your floats it depends the model. I guess you get a small manual for that purpose. Mine are spherical ball size and shape and color of orange fruit. Made from expanded polystyrene and came with a manual to attach.
I understand you burned to swipe out of beginner mode, it burned my fingers tips too but I refrained myself. Lucky you pass that step without trouble ;)
The very technical settings online YouTube tutorials can be very useful too, not for avoiding crashes but for educational purpose. A guy here was ready to send back his bird to dji care while the tens of read dot in his control view on the smartphone was just a normal feature of the software (focus picking).
My personal checklist is not an example or educational as I'm already a very picky and organized person so I resumed my preflight checklist to what I can really forgot, such as removing the gimbal lock.
I totally agree with you about the sport mode, I never used it and also think is a racing purpose... If one day I need make the mavic flee an eagle or other danger

In the US hobbyists are allowed to fly at night.
Firstly my user guide for newbies is definitely not related to any laws or various regulations.
Is devoted to save newbies from stupid crash from lack of experience and rushing to fly. Something that we can call the Christmas Tree Syndrome lol ;)
Secondly I'm not saying to don't fly at night time but into the darkness.

Last edited:
Hi Gnirts :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I say it about the manual at B) 2. I call it "user guide".

About the floats, the set I bought online to theking (canada) are weightless maybe 20 gram in total.

Its still weight. But more importantly it still alters the CoG and still increases drag. In other words, has a negative effect on the handling and performance, especially in wind.

Most of the "lost at sea" I read was not due to the pilot errors but some breakdown from the mavic (battery error, software, lost connection, incomprehensible behavior)

Read around, its almost entirely user (i wont use the term pilot, its a consumer drone here) error. Reading the manual would eliminate most of these. Learning to fly and not crash it would seem a better option. A drop of salt water in a vent will kill it anyway regardless of floats so its worthless (and refresh is only available in a tiny number of countries anyway).

Its still weight. But more importantly it still alters the CoG and still increases drag. In other words, has a negative effect on the handling and performance, especially in wind.

Read around, its almost entirely user (i wont use the term pilot, its a consumer drone here) error. Reading the manual would eliminate most of these. Learning to fly and not crash it would seem a better option. A drop of salt water in a vent will kill it anyway regardless of floats so its worthless (and refresh is only available in a tiny number of countries anyway).
I agree with you that any accessories not from DJI, such as battery mod, floats, skin stickers can affect the drone in many different way as heat, stability... It's a conscience case. In the end I rather prefer my drone go to sea maybe one day crazily because the floats had jeopardize the flight and I take it back saying **** floats rather than my bird sunk into water because any reason while haven't set my floats.

Hi Palmetto :) Thanks for your post.
To attach your floats it depends the model. I guess you get a small manual for that purpose. Mine are spherical ball size and shape and color of orange fruit. Made from expanded polystyrene and came with a manual to attach.
I understand you burned to swipe out of beginner mode, it burned my fingers tips too but I refrained myself. Lucky you pass that step without trouble ;)
The very technical settings online YouTube tutorials can be very useful too, not for avoiding crashes but for educational purpose. A guy here was ready to send back his bird to dji care while the tens of read dot in his control view on the smartphone was just a normal feature of the software (focus picking).
My personal checklist is not an example or educational as I'm already a very picky and organized person so I resumed my preflight checklist to what I can really forgot, such as removing the gimbal lock.
I totally agree with you about the sport mode, I never used it and also think is a racing purpose... If one day I need make the mavic flee an eagle or other danger

Appreciate the info.

I bought a "getter back" rod floater but have yet to install. I have seen the leg landing floaties but figured that was for pilots doing long flights over water.

Have you used this rod and reel floater before? I too have been on the fence about performance dynamics being affected by the size and bulk.

Appreciate the info.

I bought a "getter back" rod floater but have yet to install. I have seen the leg landing floaties but figured that was for pilots doing long flights over water.

Have you used this rod and reel floater before? I too have been on the fence about performance dynamics being affected by the size and bulk.
No, I currently Haven't. Can you post a picture of it?

You just got or will have soon your 1st drone ever?! And you wish make it last longer than a month..?! Read this!!!

(1st week flights)

E) After few months

You can now fly with fpv goggles but this is still at risk as you cannot checkout the surroundings.

F) ALWAYS:

G) NEVER:

- Fly inside
- Under the rain
- Into the darkness
- Fly in a tunnel
Thumbs up for this member who bought his Mavic in May

(1st week flights)

E) After few months

F) ALWAYS:

G) NEVER:

- Fly inside
- Under the rain
- Into the darkness
- Fly in a tunnel
Thumbs up for this member who bought his mavic last May but only flew first time last thursday 20 July after studying deeply the bird, documentation and forums, BRAVO

First Flight and THIS Happens...

I bought my mavic 2 months ago. Flew it more than 60 times without crashes or dangerous situations. Used sport mode and other features on second or third flight without any problems. Flew it out of sight, at night, used rth feature when needed. And i have not read manual in its entirety yet. Am i a superhuman? No. Neither a superpilot. After getting familiar with basic rules in hour or two I started operating a drone using a common sense like i use it when i do my job or any other activity. This is not a rocket science. But to each his own. I guess drones are not for scared, clumsy, nervous and disoriented people. I am sure that reading manual 20 times in two months will not help them. Actually the need to make this kind of user manual for newbies makes me think that it should be necessary to obtain some kind of licence before people could even buy drone in a store. Everyone can buy it now and its obvious it is not for everyone. Definitelly not for those who need this guide on their wallpapers. Like driving a car is not for everyone, flying a drone is not for everyone.

Reactions: moleza
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas