DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Force landing in 7.7m/s wind?

arciere

Reactions
Started a mission to take some landscape picts and video with reasonable 3-4 m/s wind, that increased (5-6 m/s) after a short while. Nothing to worry about anyway. Roughly 11:30 minutes from takeoff got the message "Large Wind Velocity. Fly with caution". Some seconds later, while the MP was cruising upwind, the message "force landing" showed up and the MP started a procedure to auto land. Tried successfully to abort auto landing and started a RTH. The Mavic returned successfully home and softly and precisely landed. Downloaded some flight data, that showed the following: when the MP started the force landing procedure the bird was cruising at 100 mt height, upwind at 5.5 m/s in a 7.7ms wind gusts. Wondering if someone has experienced any force/auto landing procedure in a similar scenario. When force landing started, MP battery was well above 50%, RC battery was above 80%, latest firmware release, DJI GO 4, compass and IMU values before takeoff where perfect, no electromagnetic interferences (have been flying many times in the same area), open countryside, no buildings, power lines, etc...apparently the only warning message was the wind velocity. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
"Large Wind Velocity. Fly with caution"

That's why I am holding off on upgrading to the new firmware. You are not alone. I saw the same complaint in the DJI forum.

Ive just recently flown in close to 20mph winds with the new firmware. Its given me a warning, but other than that no problem at all (sports mode).

That is only about 17mph wind which it can easily handle though you'll get the warning message - not a new firmware feature.
How do you know what the wind was though?
I flew mine today with gusts to 25mph it showed warning but stayed where it was put.
This was a few feet from my Davis Pro weather station so quite accurate reading.

Not sure what made it feel the need to land but unlikely it was the moderate wind.

That is only about 17mph wind which it can easily handle though you'll get the warning message - not a new firmware feature.
How do you know what the wind was though?
I flew mine today with gusts to 25mph it showed warning but stayed where it was put.
This was a few feet from my Davis Pro weather station so quite accurate reading.

Not sure what made it feel the need to land but unlikely it was the moderate wind.

The wind speed and direction is shown in the "wind" section of "healthy drones" app when reviewing the flight log, and is calculated with the continuous adjustment efforts the drone has to put in place during the flight. Should be an accurate reading.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have flown in 25mph winds with zero issues but that was before latest firmware. I think this drone can handle 30mph and look forward to trying it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Started a mission to take some landscape picts and video with reasonable 3-4 m/s wind, that increased (5-6 m/s) after a short while. Nothing to worry about anyway. Roughly 11:30 minutes from takeoff got the message "Large Wind Velocity. Fly with caution". Some seconds later, while the MP was cruising upwind, the message "force landing" showed up and the MP started a procedure to auto land. Tried successfully to abort auto landing and started a RTH. The Mavic returned successfully home and softly and precisely landed. Downloaded some flight data, that showed the following: when the MP started the force landing procedure the bird was cruising at 100 mt height, upwind at 5.5 m/s in a 7.7ms wind gusts. Wondering if someone has experienced any force/auto landing procedure in a similar scenario. When force landing started, MP battery was well above 50%, RC battery was above 80%, latest firmware release, DJI GO 4, compass and IMU values before takeoff where perfect, no electromagnetic interferences (have been flying many times in the same area), open countryside, no buildings, power lines, etc...apparently the only warning message was the wind velocity. Any suggestions?
Yes Ive had the same problem although it was in significantly stronger winds than 7.7m/s. I was flying in a 22-25mph wind and all was fine. I got a few "high wind velocity warnings fly with care" bubbles pop up. But about 12 mins into my flight the wind significantly increased to around 35mph, the mavic was being thrown around and I started to head home to land (I was only about 100m away anyway) and suddenly a pop up appeared on the screen that said "excessive wind velocity, autoland activated". So i flew it towards myself and it landed at my feet. It did let me cancel it and like the OP it did allow me to overide it too. Personally I think its a great feature because I really was flying it on its limits that day and as the wind picked up I was heading to land anyway. If you try and fly it in winds in excess of 25mph I think your asking too much out of it. Its a clever little thing ans Im loving it more every day

Yes Ive had the same problem although it was in significantly stronger winds than 7.7m/s. I was flying in a 22-25mph wind and all was fine. I got a few "high wind velocity warnings fly with care" bubbles pop up. But about 12 mins into my flight the wind significantly increased to around 35mph, the mavic was being thrown around and I started to head home to land (I was only about 100m away anyway) and suddenly a pop up appeared on the screen that said "excessive wind velocity, autoland activated". So i flew it towards myself and it landed at my feet. It did let me cancel it and like the OP it did allow me to overide it too. Personally I think its a great feature because I really was flying it on its limits that day and as the wind picked up I was heading to land anyway. If you try and fly it in winds in excess of 25mph I think your asking too much out of it. Its a clever little thing ans Im loving it more every day

I finally found out that the issue is due to a bad vps sensor reading. The bottom sensor for vertical height reading shows a false value, 0.2/0.3m when the MP is at a different altitude. So when the left stick is fully back, it starts a landing procedure. Disabling the vps sensor solves the issue.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11