DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forked Mountain Pinnacle in West Central Arkansas

Thanks for posting. Love to see things where members go/live.
For this one I’d suggest shortening it to 90 seconds or so.

My usual comments apply to this video. Would you like the good news first? Nicely paced flying. Measured and slow without rapid movements. Good flying techniques circling the mountain peak. The music track very nice.

For the criticism; way too long and repetitive subject ,not telling a story, most of the details in the scenery were muddy- e.g.: not crisply in focus. Also needed some coloration (color grading). The colors seemed very flat and low Rez.

Thanks for viewing and thanks for the comments. I agree with each one. I am working to shorten my videos and improve the other area. Would you be willing to provide some help on the video quality? Camera settings, video editing and color grading. I used Powerdirector 16 and Colordirector to edit the video.

Made me want to climb it (from the treelined side LOL) Have you done so?
Appreciated your work and from my less than professional perspective, enjoyed it all, even the length.
Looking forward to watching you develop with experience and confidence.
Stay safe and thanks mate from Down Under.

Thanks for viewing and thanks for the comments. I agree with each one. I am working to shorten my videos and improve the other area. Would you be willing to provide some help on the video quality? Camera settings, video editing and color grading. I used Powerdirector 16 and Colordirector to edit the video.

Dear Tprisher:

Free advise is what it's worth but here goes.

I've been doing slide shows all of my life and doing drone videos for the past 2 years. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, but any editing software should be able to do an acceptable presentation. I post my videos on Vimeo (I pay for a subscription) and so I am able to see the actual viewing results on a weekly basis. My most unexpected finding was that almost nobody watches my videos all the way through!!! A 20-30% view rate is good. Most people tune out very quickly. My highest rated and most viewed videos are the SHORTEST ones! I try very hard to keep my videos down to 3 minutes. As a rule of thumb for editing, I try to do the following; (1) do not show the same scene for more than 5-6 seconds, (2) keep still images down to 3 seconds or less- I actually use 2 seconds (3) edit in a variety of views if you only have one subject like a mesa in Monument Valley (4) avoiders annoying rap music, but definitely adding an appropriate music track is extremely important and really :makes it" for over 25% or more of the video, As a corollary to that, subscribe to a music service such as www.musicbed.com, or www.artist.io or some of the others mentioned on this forum (use search magnifying glass). Varied drone views or maneuvers are always better than flying straight out and straight back. (5)avoid flashy and distracting transitions.

Google this term "Royalty Free music."

I'm sure there are more, but these are good for a starting suggestion. Please anyone on the court, feel free to add to this list, or critique it if you wish. I have thick skin.

Dear Tprisher:

I've been doing slide shows all of my life and doing drone videos for the past 2 years. I use Adobe Premiere .............. I have thick skin.

Great advice for newbies and those of us "thick" in other ways and thank you Dale for your tireless contributions to this forum.
Thanks mate.

to Tprisher; Addendum

As a followup to actually prove myself right I did a screen grab of a portion of my recent VIMEO stats. Here they are and an attachment. You can plainly see that out of hundred of viewers practically nobody watched until the end and most not even half way. The chart is larger-this is just
a small view. Look at Sunday, March 15 for example. 51 views, 22 finishes, 73% of the clip watched. Most of the "watched" column are less than 66%. Got the idea now??? We are our best viewers!
Dale
Miami
a small view.Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 9.04.46 PM.png

Dear Tprisher:

I've been doing slide shows all of my life and doing drone videos for the past 2 years. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, but any editing software should be able to do an acceptable presentation. I post my videos on Vimeo (I pay for a subscription) and so I am able to see the actual viewing results on a weekly basis. My most unexpected finding was that almost nobody watches my videos all the way through!!! A 20-30% view rate is good. Most people tune out very quickly. My highest rated and most viewed videos are the SHORTEST ones! I try very hard to keep my videos down to 3 minutes. As a rule of thumb for editing, I try to do the following; (1) do not show the same scene for more than 5-6 seconds, (2) keep still images down to 3 seconds or less- I actually use 2 seconds (3) edit in a variety of views if you only have one subject like a mesa in Monument Valley (4) avoiders annoying rap music, but definitely adding an appropriate music track is extremely important and really :makes it" for over 25% or more of the video, As a corollary to that, subscribe to a music service such as www.musicbed.com, or www.artist.io or some of the others mentioned on this forum (use search magnifying glass). Varied drone views or maneuvers are always better than flying straight out and straight back. (5)avoid flashy and distracting transitions.

Google this term "Royalty Free music."

I'm sure there are more, but these are good for a starting suggestion. Please anyone on the court, feel free to add to this list, or critique it if you wish. I have thick skin.

Thank you for the information. I will use it.

Can you provide any suggestion on improving the video quality. I know this is a different thread in it's self and may be too large to discuss here but... I know this video doesn't have that wow factor but don't know why. I shot this video in 2720x1530 @30FPS and edited with Powerdirector 16. Most of my Mavic Pro videos look like this. I have tried many different camera settings (video resolution, style and color, etc) nothing seems to work. I use manual focus and constantly hit the focus button (I assigned C1 to focus) when flying. I tried to improve the video with editing on my computer but that didn't helped. I have searched the internet but haven't been able to fix my problems. Can you provide any help?

to Tprisher; Addendum

As a followup to actually prove myself right I did a screen grab of a portion of my recent VIMEO stats. Here they are and an attachment. You can plainly see that out of hundred of viewers practically nobody watched until the end and most not even half way. The chart is larger-this is just
a small view. Look at Sunday, March 15 for example. 51 views, 22 finishes, 73% of the clip watched. Most of the "watched" column are less than 66%. Got the idea now??? We are our best viewers!
Dale
Miami
a small view.View attachment 98391

Good information. I need to check Vimeo.

Thank you for the information. I will use it.

Can you provide any suggestion on improving the video quality. I know this is a different thread in it's self and may be too large to discuss here but... I know this video doesn't have that wow factor but don't know why. I shot this video in 2720x1530 @30FPS and edited with Powerdirector 16. Most of my Mavic Pro videos look like this. I have tried many different camera settings (video resolution, style and color, etc) nothing seems to work. I use manual focus and constantly hit the focus button (I assigned C1 to focus) when flying. I tried to improve the video with editing on my computer but that didn't helped. I have searched the internet but haven't been able to fix my problems. Can you provide any help?
I am far from an expert on this. On the drone I try to shoot video in 4K and stills in RAW, and when I process the video in Premiere Pro I also process in 4 K and output in 4K. You would need a more powerful computer for that.

Good information. I need to check Vimeo.
VIMEO has a free edition which limited the amount of video you can publish per week. I tried that for a year or so before going on to the paid (lowest choice) service which serves my needs for now. Free enrollment- just sign up and makeup a password and you are all set. I think you will even get statistics on your viewing history at the free rate but I am not sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest