DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forum "Drone police" members are here to help you not hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Member

Reactions
Im not sure what you call them, but I call them drone police. It happens where a member posts a thread describing or showing a video of something dangerous he or she did, or at least illegal or not recommended, and another member chimes in about how dangerous or illegal it was, and/or how he would never do that. The second member is felt by the OP as someone who just gets his jollies by chastising other members, and is called, sometimes not affectionately, drone police.

Well, Im as guilty as anyone as being a drone police officer, but the "drone police" do serve a purpose. Drone police tend to be people with experience in one or more of many subjects. My inner drone forum policeman comes out when someone does something so ludicrous so as to endanger his/her self, or cause damage to their drone, and posts it for everyone to see, and is proud of the feat.. Sometimes the post will begin with, "Now dont get upset all you drone policemen" and then describe what they did that they knew was going to cause the drone police to chomp down on the OPs thread.

Really, the only drone police that I have seen only post when it is necessary, and dont have any personal grudge with the OP. They just know whats right and what not to do, and it upsets them when someone does something that they wouldnt do. No, the drone police are not on a power trip, they are just sharing their experience with you, and although it might seem like they are malevolent, they are simply looking out for you and their fellow drone pilots.

Best regards,

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart

Last edited:
Im not sure what you call them, but I call them drone police. It happens where a member posts a thread describing or showing a video of something dangerous he or she did, or at least illegal or not recommended, and another member chimes in about how dangerous or illegal it was, and/or how he would never do that. The second member is felt by the OP as someone who just gets his jollies by chastising other members, and is called, sometimes not affectionately, drone police.

Well, Im as guilty as anyone as being a drone police officer, but the "drone police" do serve a purpose. Drone police tend to be people with experience in one or more of any subjects. My inner drone forum policeman comes out when someone does something so ludicrous so as to endanger his/her self, or cause damage to their drone, and posts it for everyone to see, and is proud of the feat.. Sometimes the post will begin with, "Now dont get upset all you drone policemen" and then describe what they did that they knew was going to cause the drone police to chomp down on the OPs thread.

Really, the only drone police that I have seen only post when it is necessary, and dont have any personal grudge with the OP. They just know whats right and what not to do, and it upsets them when someone does something that they wouldnt do. No, the drone police are not on a power trip, they are just sharing their experience with you, and although it might seem like they are malevolent, they are simply looking out for you and their fellow drone pilots.

Best regards,

Rob
Thunderdrones
We always have your best interests at heart
could not have put it better myself well said

I think it would be remiss to not mention it - especially when on the other hand, we are all moaning and groaning about how people flying drones at Gatwick are ruining it for hobbyists and commercial flyers.

Ok, I'll confess. I'm a "drone copper". If I see anyone post something stupid that could perhaps encourage others to do the same, I have no problem in telling them how stupid their idea is.

After all, everyone here loves flying their drones. But please do so without endangering others. Drone users don't get the best rep as it is, the last thing you want, is to be that guy that spoilt it for the rest of us!

Thumbswayup

Reactions: Former Member
I think it would be remiss to not mention it - especially when on the other hand, we are all moaning and groaning about how people flying drones at Gatwick are ruining it for hobbyists and commercial flyers.

I would like to point out that even today, we still don't know if a drone was involved.

The BBC seems to have an agender against drones.

Totall agree. I have gotten in some long winded arguments on here over pointing out that something someone did was illegal and stupid. Just last night I heard a story about some press calling the MavicPilots forum a place where reckless people go to post how far they have flown out of VLOS. To be quite honest though I couldn't agree more with what the story said because the folks that post in the long distance threads trying to beat each other's records are reckless if they are flying out to a mile or more from where they launched without having multipe spotters in communication with each other and in constant communication with the PIC. I have flown out of VLOS myslef on a couple of occasions, but there were three spotters involved in the flight, we all communicated by three way calling during the entire flight and someone in the group had eyes on the bird from launch to recovery. But the point is all these people on here posting that reckless and illegal stuff puts a bad light on those of us who are trying to obey the rules and keep the hobby/business safe. We need more publicity to gain the general population's trust in what we are doing, but it needs to be good publicity about all the things we are doign right, not what a small few are doing wrong. Unfortunately now we are guilty by association, so that is the reason I will be one of the first to point out when someone is being reckless.

[QUOTE="Well, Im as guilty as anyone as being a drone police officer, but the "drone police" do serve a purpose. Drone police tend to be people with experience in one or more of many subjects. My inner drone forum policeman comes out when someone does something so ludicrous so as to endanger his/her self, or cause damage to their drone, and posts it for everyone to see, and is proud of the feat.. [/QUOTE] This post kind'a reminds me of the Dunning-Kruger effect. :rolleyes:

“Just last night I heard a story about some press calling the MavicPilots forum a place where reckless people go to post how far they have flown out of VLOS.”

This is true. I have seen proof that certified FAA pilots stalk this forum and call out legalities.

Ok, I'll confess. I'm a "drone copper". If I see anyone post something stupid that could perhaps encourage others to do the same, I have no problem in telling them how stupid their idea is.

After all, everyone here loves flying their drones. But please do so without endangering others. Drone users don't get the best rep as it is, the last thing you want, is to be that guy that spoilt it for the rest of us!

Thumbswayup

You can understand why almost zero professional pilots post any type of real advice or videos.

“Just last night I heard a story about some press calling the MavicPilots forum a place where reckless people go to post how far they have flown out of VLOS.”

This is true. I have seen proof that certified FAA pilots stalk this forum and call out legalities.

yes.

[QUOTE="I have seen proof that certified FAA pilots stalk this forum and call out legalities.[/QUOTE]

That's true, and some just take it upon themselves to "legitimise" themselfs for doing so. Know one needs a daddy or a parent here. This is NOT a parenting forum!

[QUOTE="I have seen proof that certified FAA pilots stalk this forum and call out legalities.

That's true, and some just take it upon themselves to "legitimise" themselfs for doing so. Know one needs a daddy or a parent here. This is NOT a parenting forum![/QUOTE]

As per rule 15:

"The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. "

We're not parenting, we're simply guiding you to use the correct laws & regulations. Hope this helps clear things up.

Let's see if this comment makes it into the press.

Mavicpilots.com is a place for people to come, seek advice, share ideas, and have some fun. Having been flying full scale aircraft since I was a kid, fun to me is flying safe, by the rules, and not endangering others. I LOVE PRECISION! Full scale pilots go by the book or their lives and the lives of their passengers are in jeopardy. They have many people overseeing their daily work habits, including copilots, ATC, and flight attendants. Showboating, showing up drunk, or breaking the rules is punishable by suspension, termination, fines, and/or imprisonment. Plus, it's just bad to do. Any airline pilot who decides to brag about exceeding legal speed or atlitude is repremanded and could lose his/her license.

In my opinion, it is not in the best interest of Mavicpilots.com for people to post their illegal and irresponsible flights here, or ask questions that would lead to answers that would break the rules.

All members here ARE PILOTS. Some fly only drones, some fly full scale recreationally, and others commercially. Still others are military. The wise members here know better than to break the rules because there are repercussions, and also because breaking the rules is just not fun. Many members here fly drones because of their physical limitations from flying full scale. These are the best drone pilots because they are re-creating on the ground what they would do in the air. They can be my wingman any time, and I am happy to be theirs.

Cpl. Thunderdrones, Drone Police
We always have your best interests at heart.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Well, Im as guilty as anyone as being a drone police officer, but the "drone police" do serve a purpose. Drone police tend to be people with experience in one or more of many subjects. My inner drone forum policeman comes out when someone does something so ludicrous so as to endanger his/her self, or cause damage to their drone, and posts it for everyone to see, and is proud of the feat..
This post kind'a reminds me of the Dunning-Kruger effect. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Tried my best to see the relevance of this post, I failed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom