DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Air 2 in national park. What to do?

fsdaaerwrf

Reactions
I found a Mavic Air 2 this week while hiking in a national park (drones illegal). I picked it up and thought maybe I could find the owner. It's missing a propeller and has scratches so I figure it got blown out of the trees the night before.

As far as I can tell it doesn't have a registration number.

I am not sure what to do now. Is there another way to find the owner? I wouldn't mind having a drone but I also don't want to be a thief.

Last edited:
I found a Mavic Air 2 this week while hiking in a national park (drones illegal). I picked it up and thought maybe I could find the owner. It's missing a propeller and has scratches so I figure it got blown out of the trees the night before.

I am not sure what to do now. Is there another way to find the owner? I wouldn't mind having a drone but I also don't want to be thief.

Start with posting this in the the lost and found and take a look at the SD card as there may be some vital info on there also:

Lost & Found Mavics

Reactions: cdrracing
Will post there. Nothing interesting on the SD. A few videos of the lake and then a very long video of the tree where it got stuck :-(

If no one claims it at the end of the week , your good to keep it,
You will need a new Battery as that one is most likely compromised from the rain
and of course a controller. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post.

Did you remove the battery and look in the battery chamber for any info? Some people stick their reg. number in there.

If it has a registration number...tear it off , and buy a controller..Kidding of course.. DJI knows the aircraft by serial number so they could be of help. You could look at the SD card. it could shed a clue. I was able to locate the owner of a set of keys that way because there was a thumb drive also hanging on it.

Really!! it's illegal to take off in the park not fly over it and crash into a tree...
You are quite correct! But who said the pilot took off from outside the park???? And, how did the discovery person know????
If the drone was discovered inside the park, I believe the NPS authorities should have been notified to investigate.
Yes, Really!!

I believe it is indeed illegal to fly over the National Parks as well. Might want to double check it. That's what I've been seeing. I may be wrong, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
There is a supposed buffer zone that extends in altitude to approximately 2000 feet. over all national parks. I have been known to be wrong in the past. If there is, and if the altitude is 2000 feet, then the flight was illegal unless it was conducted in an approved area within the park.

I was under the impression that you had to register your MA2 online with DJI in order for it to work at all
In that case, if the finder was to send his/her info to DJI along with the approx location the drone was found and the drone serial # ( found in the battery compartment ) and maybe the battery serial #, surely then DJI could email the drone owner with finders info without breaking any 'privacy' laws ? Owner could then contact finder and sort things from there
Just a thought, Stu

I am curious which National Park it happened in? Just being voyeuristic ---- if you don't want to say, no worries...just curious....

There is a supposed buffer zone that extends in altitude to approximately 2000 feet. over all national parks. I have been known to be wrong in the past. If there is, and if the altitude is 2000 feet, then the flight was illegal unless it was conducted in an approved area within the park.
No such thing. No “buffer zone” over national parks in the US. The NPS does not control the airspace above the parks. Only the ground. They can limit takeoffs and landings on NPS property but they cannot restrict overflights above the park. There are some NFZ around some national monuments and other government properties.

Here are all NFZ in the US.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3