DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found one!

If it doesn't have the FAA required ID, (which requirement started in 2015), I guess all bets are off. Early requirement was the number had to be readily accessible, though not necessarily on an outside surface - could be in battery compartment etc.

Found a crashed Mavic Pro the other day. In the canyon below lake tulloch in tuolumne county.
I've placed notices on fb and cl to no avail. Any ideas on how to track down the owner?
A good samaritan here. ?⚽️? any reg# or pilot cert? Think from there you can track the owner. Hope this will help. Thanks

Hi .,
Well first of all thank you for trying to find the owner , it’s not everyone that would do that especially these days it seems .
Have you seen any numbering that looks like it has been added to the mavic .
It could be anywhere on the drone , if it still has the battery take that out and have a look there for any added numbers .
I’m not sure if DJI would be able to help if they had the serial number .
I’m not very familiar with the regulations and registration that applies in the Scotland part of the UK.
So if you could talk to someone that knows the local regs might be able to help you more than I can .

I’m sorry I can’t help you out any more , but I hope you can get it back to the owner soon , hey there might be a reward in it for you !! , but then again Scottish pilots aren’t known for their generosity!!

Didn’t mean to offend anyone.

I do commended you for trying to return it .

If you think I can help you out just let me know .
All the best .

You can, I think, email dji with serial numbers and they have, I believe, been known to contact the owner if the owner is registered with them. It might also be worth looking at the contents of the memory card if there is one. Some people put a file on there with their contact details.
There are flight records on the drone that you might be able to access if the drone has enough power left in the battery, see Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide . If they can be accessed and read/decoded it is likely that a lot of them will be near the owners home etc. etc.

If you contact DJI, enclose a picture of the serial number data plate. I know they have the ability to determine the owner if they care to, since they determined who the owner of a Mavic was just based on the serial number of a single motor. That was the Mavic that had the midair with the Blackhawk helicopter over New York Harbor.

If it doesn't have the FAA required ID, (which requirement started in 2015), I guess all bets are off. Early requirement was the number had to be readily accessible, though not necessarily on an outside surface - could be in battery compartment etc.
How do you do this, with scotch tape?

Reactions: bumper
Thsnx for trying to find the owner! Not sure if you can you charge it via the usb cable. If it has power, you should be able to read the memory on your computer like a USB drive. Assuming it's dead...and you are able to read the SD card on your computer, see if there is anything on it. I have a .txt file on mine with my contact info.

Foundone, you could try asking the same question on the DJI forum Mavic - DJI Products forum
sometimes their mods pick up on these and 'kick things upstairs'. Sorry I should have mentioned it in my earlier post

Most folks here probably do this also, but in case not, in addition to my FAA number, I also put a label on the outside of the drone that says "If found, call (xxx) xxx-xxxx" where the 'x's are my cell phone number.

Reactions: dawgpilot
great to see honesty in the world! the vessel is activated and I,d bet dji has a name to go with it I couldn,t be to sure but they certainly know what i,m flying

Just as a matter of interest, if a crashed and registered drone is found and reported to the FAA are they likely to come knocking on the door of the pilot asking what happened?

Just as a matter of interest, if a crashed and registered drone is found and reported to the FAA are they likely to come knocking on the door of the pilot asking what happened?
I doubt it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3