DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV Goggles for Mavic Air

Tommythe labrador

Reactions
Hi All,

I want to get some goggles for this aircraft. I wear glasses so find that most are no good. Does anyone know if the XT ViperFPV V2 5.8 goggles will work with the Mavic Air please?
Thanks

For the Mavic air to work with these goggles you would need a device with a HDMI output so that you could connect the goggles to it.
The only option that can run the DJI Go4 and output a HDMI signal is the Crystal Sky but this is expensive and end of life.

As an alternative I use the Epson BT-300 glasses with my Mavic Air and it works well, but these are also getting long in the tooth and will only support drones that use DJI Go 4, so it can't be used with the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to do FPV with the Mavic Air 1.

I installed the prop guards, set the RTH to hover and disabled the obstacle avoidance. With those settings, I can fly around my house pretty well using the standard controller and app. I'd like to try this with goggles.

I know the older DJI goggles work, but those do not seem to be available and they were somewhat expensive. I've found that there are a couple apps that will let you use your phone in an inexpensive VR headset to do VR.

I do not expect to get the performance matching the new DJI FPV drone. But I'm not looking to spend $1,300 either.

The apps I've found are DroneVR+ and Litchi. DroneVR+ is free, but you have to pay $10 to unlock using it with each model drone. Many of the DJI drones are listed as supported, including the Mavic Air 1. Litchi is $25, but does many other things as well. Has anyone tried either of these apps for FPV with the Mavic Air 1? The resolution should be decent, but I'm wondering how the lag is.

My phone is a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G. It has great screen and powerful processor and GPU. Its more powerful that most dedicated VR goggles like the Oculus Quest and Go. As I said, this will never equal the experience of the new FPV drone, but I'm not looking to get that aggressive and fly that fast.

...I'm looking to do FPV with the Mavic Air 1.

...I've found that there are a couple apps that will let you use your phone in an inexpensive VR headset to do VR.
The apps I've found are DroneVR+ and Litchi... The resolution should be decent, but I'm wondering how the lag is.
Yeah ... understand, you want to try out box goggles. Those are goggles where you put in your phone directly ... so lag will not be any bigger problem just because you move your phone from the remote & into the goggles.

You mainly have 2 types of box goggles ... one with 2 lenses, one for the right eye & one for the left. This type usually needs a special app (Like Litchi with it's FPV mode activated) which displays 2 equal views on the screen ... meaning it creates a poor kind of 3D image. So you can't use DJI GO4 directly as that "FPV view" feature doesn't exists there. So that is one draw back with the 2 lens variants of box goggles.

This is how Litchi looks like with the FPV mode activated ...

1616710410649.png

Then you have the single lens goggles ... one big lens that just makes it possible to view the phone screen from a very short distance. In goggles like this you don't need any special app ... you can use GO4 directly, or watching a YouTube movie or something else. I have these --> MovieMask - Your Portable Cinema I'm just moving the phone from the remote into the goggles with the USB cable still attached to the remote.

The picture quality is really good, don't have any complaints there, no lag as said before it's equal to have the phone in the remote. The only gripe is as with all goggles ... fit on your face & viewing distance. I have glasses normally & they fit inside, but they can't handle the short viewing distance so I use a pair of cheap reading glasses that work.

This is how it looks taking a photo into them ... (the bar in the middle isn't visible when you wear them)

1616709706286.png

But the major backside with box goggles in general is that you can't reach the phone when you're flying, you need to do all adjustments before you put the phone inside the goggles ... & if you want to start/stop videoing you need to use the buttons on the remote ... blindfolded, but it's manageable if you just want to fly around without fiddling with camera settings or other menu thing's

My phone is a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G.
This can also be a draw back ... I have a Samsung S20+ & that is to big for the moviemask in the sense that I can't see the whole screen, can't look around that much with my eyes. Use my smaller Samsung S8 instead, it works perfectly in size, can see the whole screen with that.

Having already bought Litchi, buying some plastic box for £10 seemed cheap to get some experience of FPV.

I agree with all @slup's comments, and would stress that the major problem is not the quality of the screen or the FPV experience - it is the sheer hassle of setting it all up and then trying to control the aircraft successfully. I've used it twice only. £10 was not a lot to lose...

I've just purchased Litchi and am awaiting delivery of cheap Zuvio type goggles.
My question is can either of the two function keys in the Mavic Air (one one the front and the top right) be programmed to toggle in and out of VR mode? (or any other task?). Lots of posts reference C1 and C2 function keys set up within Litch, but that's for a Pro controller. Litchi have obviously moved on from the Air(1), but there's not a lot of discussion about it in conjunction with VR that I can find. Do any of the other VR apps feature Mavic Air features through the controller?

I just plug-in to my DJI Goggles RE and fly.
I've just purchased Litchi and am awaiting delivery of cheap Zuvio type goggles.
My question is can either of the two function keys in the Mavic Air (one one the front and the top right) be programmed to toggle in and out of VR mode? (or any other task?). Lots of posts reference C1 and C2 function keys set up within Litch, but that's for a Pro controller. Litchi have obviously moved on from the Air(1), but there's not a lot of discussion about it in conjunction with VR that I can find. Do any of the other VR apps feature Mavic Air features through the controller?

For anyone considering purchasing the DroneVR app, be aware that the app differs between the IOS version and the Android. Despite being told that you get a 5 minute trial after the initial download, all I could get to work was a "Demo" mode which flew you through pre-recorded scenery.
I decided to pay for it (NZ$14) and although it works, there are features in the IOS version (check out the "How To" section on their website) such as Display settings that are not included in the Android version. After querying the matter with DroneVR they admit that their development focuses on iPhone as the displays are more powerful. There is no provision to switch from drone view to camera view with an android phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO