DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV goggles - Real life users!

Quiet Place

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been reading many articles cocnerning using FPV goggles with an observer. I cannot drop a bunch of money on experimentation. I have a MA 2 with a Smart Controller and would like to try using goggles but again cannot spend much. Has anyone used goggles with HDMI capability that you would recommend someone try? Thanks so much.

BTW, flying low over heavy new clean white snow will affect flying sensors. We got 18 inches here yesterday and I had to get some shots of that. Interesting flight, LOL

I would try some cardboard DIY ones first using your phone a long lead from the controller, you may find you are suspceptable to nausea if nothing else.

I updated the thread NAME to make it more understandable what you're thread is about . . .

I agree try the cheap route first because Motion Sickness from FPV is a very REAL thing. Maybe even check your more local FPV groups and see if someone local can give you a first hand FPV flight experience for FREE.

With the MA2 you have a couple relatively (or dirt cheap) alternatives.

First the cheapest route. VR goggles. You can get a relatively decent set of VR goggles for under $30. You can fly in split-screen FPV mode with Litchi or another program DroneVR (drone). I think Litchi is under $25 and DroneVR cheaper still. I went that way first and found that with a few mods (because of presbyopia and fit) I could make them work.

The second way, more expensive but more universal is the DroneMask/MagiMask now at $170. These goggles don't use split-frame and can be used with the Fly or Go4 apps main screens.

The downside to those is that you have to access your phone and set the settings before you seal them in your goggles where access requires taking them out of the goggles. I have both and have just started testing the DroneMask. I took an exterior photo of both goggles together. With the cheap VR goggles you can see from the photos that I had to add nose pads for comfort and support, install reading glasses to allow me to focus fully and put pads on the mounting surface to move the phone further away, to again, aid in proper focusing. Truth be told, the cheap VR glasses, with mods are easier on the nose and face as the DroneMask, when adjusted for focus, by extending the phone area outward increases the weight leverage on the face. I may install readers in these too, but not yet.

The one better thing about the DroneMask is the way the mounts in in one position of the headset compared to the VR set that I have with no stationary mounting.

While a bit heavier than the Pecosa VR set that I have (left image) I think I would now recommend a set that has a slide-out mount which makes it easier to access your phone and reinstall it in the exact same position. I got the Pecosa set because it is lighter than the the "Next" set, featured in the last image.

If you want to experience FPV from you DJI camera drone without DJI goggles, you can. I probably shouldn't have purchased the DroneMask as I already have Litchi and DroneVR... But again I have them and I'll test them when I can get outside in open space.

pecosa vs magimask.jpgvrNosepads.jpgVRreaders.jpgVRshims.jpg1651007108712.png

Attachments

• VRreaders.jpg
    VRreaders.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: orlie
I'm going to give this a small bump. With time on my hands I've been evaluating different methods of flying CHEAP FPV. Flying cheap VR can be a bit clumsy because when the phone is inside the goggles we don't have access to the screen unless the phone is removed. I've got two more VR goggles to test, arriving tomorrow. Stay tuned if you're interested.

Reactions: Hertzdonut
I have been reading many articles cocnerning using FPV goggles with an observer. I cannot drop a bunch of money on experimentation. I have a MA 2 with a Smart Controller and would like to try using goggles but again cannot spend much. Has anyone used goggles with HDMI capability that you would recommend someone try? Thanks so much.

BTW, flying low over heavy new clean white snow will affect flying sensors. We got 18 inches here yesterday and I had to get some shots of that. Interesting flight, LOL
I have the Air2S and Mini 2 with smart controller and have dabbled into the FPV arena using the Yunneec VR goggles, they connect directly to the HDMI out on your smart controller.

I have the Air2S and Mini 2 with smart controller and have dabbled into the FPV arena using the Yunneec VR goggles, they connect directly to the HDMI out on your smart controller.
The Yuneec goggles present a potential for those that have controllers with HDMI out. They aren't cheap, but I'm sure given the HDMI they are effective. I have to imagine that the Yuneec headset has no control over the gimbal or drone, right?

While not ideal because of its weight, the DroneMask/MagiMask/MovieMask (same mask, different names) provides a unique opportunity to fly FPV without needing HDMI or waiting for programs like Litchi with VR modes to become available as the programmers wait for DJI to release the SDK's (18 months for the Mini 2). It doesn't require a split screen and just magnifies what is on your phone. The better the resolution on the phone the better it will look. Unlike the apps like Litchi, DroneVR, Maven that have control features that can control the gimbal or flight characteristics by turning your head (relying on the gyro in your phone) DroneMask is simply a viewing program and all the controls are still (only) in your hands (sometimes a good thing). What I like about it is that because it has a zip closure, I only have to zip it enough to keep the light out. If I need access to the phone screen I can quickly unzip it, push the flap with the phone away and inch or so, get my finger in there while continuing to see the screen and what I'm doing on it, then rezip and continue flying. Dronemask Link [Image inside photo is just an illustration to show how the phone is mounted in the goggles. No split screen required.]

1656005754676.png1656005790879.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada