DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV goggles support?

scro

Reactions
I see there's been new firmware for the Mini 3 Pro (and DJI RC) released and one of the main updates was support for the DJI goggles. Can anyone confirm if the DJI RC now supports some version of the DJI goggles? Has anyone tried it and had success?

I installed the updates on my DJI RC and it now has an option to link to the goggles, but not having any goggles to try it with I don't know if it's supported or not - when tapping on the button it gives instructions on how to link goggles to a "mobile device" rather than the RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
I see there's been new firmware for the Mini 3 Pro (and DJI RC) released and one of the main updates was support for the DJI goggles. Can anyone confirm if the DJI RC now supports some version of the DJI goggles? Has anyone tried it and had success?

I installed the updates on my DJI RC and it now has an option to link to the goggles, but not having any goggles to try it with I don't know if it's supported or not - when tapping on the button it gives instructions on how to link goggles to a "mobile device" rather than the RC.
Yes! It works. I have both the DJI FPV and the Avata (as well as a bunch of minis and a Mavic 3). I bought the Goggles 2 when they were released but hate the fit and the fact we have to tether our phone for RID, so I bought the Integra goggles for the better fit, and they have built in RID, bought the Motion Controller 2 as well last week. Was trying to justify the expense but the update yesterday did that for me!
So now either the Goggles 2 or the Integra can be used to fly the Mini 3 Pro and the entire Mavic 3 series. However the Motion Controller 2 is the only controller that will work with the goggles on these Camera Drone models.
I made one flight with the Mini 3 Pro and one flight with the Mavic using the goggles and motion controller. It was a lot of fun, but just doesn't feel (yet) like flying the FPV drones. I hope future firmware updates will allow the traditional stick controllers to be used with the goggles like I can on the Avata and FPV drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: scro
Thanks for the clear response 👍

I like the idea of fpv flying, but have been a little put off by the need to buy a load more kit, having a spotter (to keep legal) and the lack of sub 250g drones with decent cameras.

I suspect the mini 3 pro will never quite give a true fpv experience but it may come close if it had a full manual mode and a controller with sticks.

Yes! It works. I have both the DJI FPV and the Avata (as well as a bunch of minis and a Mavic 3). I bought the Goggles 2 when they were released but hate the fit and the fact we have to tether our phone for RID, so I bought the Integra goggles for the better fit, and they have built in RID, bought the Motion Controller 2 as well last week. Was trying to justify the expense but the update yesterday did that for me!
So now either the Goggles 2 or the Integra can be used to fly the Mini 3 Pro and the entire Mavic 3 series. However the Motion Controller 2 is the only controller that will work with the goggles on these Camera Drone models.
I made one flight with the Mini 3 Pro and one flight with the Mavic using the goggles and motion controller. It was a lot of fun, but just doesn't feel (yet) like flying the FPV drones. I hope future firmware updates will allow the traditional stick controllers to be used with the goggles like I can on the Avata and FPV drone.

Reactions: Torque and scro
I saw this yesterday. A couple of people released videos showing this. Not sure how stable or risky this is, but I will probably try it this weekend. As mentioned on this video (or another?), a crash while flying with the goggles and traditional controller probably wouldn't be covered by care refresh.

Reactions: KLRSKIR and iaTa
Excuse my ignorance but what is "RID"?

I'm new to the forum and in fact don't have a drone yet, but my son and I are doing some research before investing in one. My initial interest is for an application where I could fly over my property to survey the number of deer present. About half the property is woods. I've been researching the Mini3Pro with the RC controller at the recommendation of my grandson. I was about to conclude that it would be unsuitable for my survey work because of the VLOS rules for both recreational and FAA 107 license, but now I run across this FPV option with goggles which seems like just what would enable me to do the survey work I'm interested in. Is the use of goggles in the US legal and if not, what are the potential consequences of flying illegally?

The other concern is the loss of signal strength with the Mini3 Pro when flying where you have obstructions between the drone and the controller, like trees. I'd appreciate input on this issue also and any recommendations for an alternative which has signal strength less effected by obstructions, if you think this might be a problem with the Mini3. My range would likely always be a 1/2 mile or less of woods.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Using FPV goggles doesn't mean the vlos rule no longer applies. Typically you need a spotter to maintain vlos with the drone while you fly with goggles. I'm not best qualified to comment on the detail of the rules in the USA so please do check exactly what the requirements are for FPV flying.

With regard to signal strength and penetration, drones almost exclusively use 2.4/5.8ghz bands for the data link. These frequencies are absorbed quite well by water (similar frequencies to your microwave oven) so any foliage that gets between the controller and the drone impairs the signal. The difference in range through trees between summer and winter in temperate regions can be quite stark, due to the amount of leaves on the trees. The recent DJI drones using occusync 3 (or O3) transmission have about as good a range as you can expect from any drone without going down the route of significant modifications. The mavic 3 may be slightly better than the mini3p for signal range but will be affected just the same if there are trees etc blocking the signal path.

Thanks. I just run across the following at an internet site called TechRadar:

"The rules regarding the use of an observer in the UK and US are practically identical – it’s the exact wording of the rules that differs slightly.

In both countries, when using an FPV drone or FPV goggles, a drone pilot must be assisted by an observer to help them keep the drone away from obstacles and other aircraft.

This observer must keep the drone within unaided visual line of sight (VLOS) at all times and must be standing next to the drone pilot. Remember, this means the observer can't use a screen or binoculars to watch the drone, as the line of sight must be 'unaided'."

It doesn't sound like an FPV drone is going to be my answer for doing my deer survey. There must be different rules for the 'Search and Rescue' drones that the police use since they must go beyond VLOS.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Using FPV goggles doesn't mean the vlos rule no longer applies. Typically you need a spotter to maintain vlos with the drone while you fly with goggles. I'm not best qualified to comment on the detail of the rules in the USA so please do check exactly what the requirements are for FPV flying.

With regard to signal strength and penetration, drones almost exclusively use 2.4/5.8ghz bands for the data link. These frequencies are absorbed quite well by water (similar frequencies to your microwave oven) so any foliage that gets between the controller and the drone impairs the signal. The difference in range through trees between summer and winter in temperate regions can be quite stark, due to the amount of leaves on the trees. The recent DJI drones using occusync 3 (or O3) transmission have about as good a range as you can expect from any drone without going down the route of significant modifications. The mavic 3 may be slightly better than the mini3p for signal range but will be affected just the same if there are trees etc blocking the signal path.
I have the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Pro. I live in rural NC with a small uncontrolled airport next to me. From the back of my property, it's almost 1300 feet to the treeline. The treeline has a break in the middle, about 400 yards into it. I have had both drones flying around in that break from my backyard deck with full signal bars, a VO in that clearing communicating via phone so I was still operating legally, although out here in the countryside, barring you don't interfere when aircraft are within 5 miles of the airport here, you can goof around as long as you are safe and have permission of property owners you may have to land in if aircraft approach. Long story short, I have had both way, way out with no issues. For realistic (and legal) use, unless you are flying around a house made of lead, you won't lose signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S