DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV mode in Air 2s with VR Goggles?

MikeinMO

Reactions
Hi there. I’ve got the Air 2s. I was thinking about picking up one of those cheapo goggles that you slide your phone into for VR, then enabling FPV mode in the Fly App and seeing if that would allow a more engaging FPV experience with the 2s. I have a long Lightening to USB-C cable for the controller link to the iPhone. Not afraid to modify the goggles for the cable. Anyone tried this or think it would work? I’d like to get the DJI FPV drone, but not dropping $1,500 on it. Maybe this is a workaround.

Totally possible ... but,

It's some drawbacks, or thing's to think about to do this.

Most cheapo box goggles have 2 lenses designed to be paired with a live view on your phone that have been split into 2 equal pictures (generating a 3D effect). This requires a special mode in the app ... Litchi for instance have a mode like that. If you instead go with goggles with a single big lens you can use what ever app you like (...but no 3D effect is created), here is one example --> MovieMask - Your Portable Cinema

The second thing is that you can't reach any of the buttons in the app as the phone is in the goggles, you have to rely on whatever buttons you have on the RC.

Most cheapo box goggles have 2 lenses designed to be paired with a live view on your phone that have been split into 2 equal pictures (generating a 3D effect). This requires a special mode in the app ... Litchi for instance have a mode like that. If you instead go with goggles with a single big lens you can use what ever app you like (...but no 3D effect is created), here is one example --> MovieMask - Your Portable Cinema

The second thing is that you can't reach any of the buttons in the app as the phone is in the goggles, you have to rely on whatever buttons you have on the RC.
That Movie Mask looks interesting but wow a $130 price tag. Anyone happen to own it or something similar?

Hi there. I’ve got the Air 2s. I was thinking about picking up one of those cheapo goggles that you slide your phone into for VR, then enabling FPV mode in the Fly App and seeing if that would allow a more engaging FPV experience with the 2s. I have a long Lightening to USB-C cable for the controller link to the iPhone. Not afraid to modify the goggles for the cable. Anyone tried this or think it would work? I’d like to get the DJI FPV drone, but not dropping $1,500 on it. Maybe this is a workaround.
a half-price option would be to get a Smart Controller and use HDMI capable goggles...I use my FatShark Dominator 3s and they work great.

Reactions: CallmeDash
I´ve used an old Samsung GearVR with my MM and had a very frustrating experience. Seemed like flying watching a 360p video, no safe to fly, can´t see pole wires correctly, buildings and houses have no good resolution

Reactions: Biggie777
That Movie Mask looks interesting ...Anyone happen to own it..?
I´ve used an old Samsung GearVR with my MM and had a very frustrating experience. Seemed like flying watching a 360p video..
Actually bought that "Moviemask" ... the previous model they had, a tad cheaper. Can't complain about the picture quality at all ... had to use +3 reading glasses to get the focus right (normally wear glasses) & soft coat the nose section a bit for comfort purposes.

But yeah, they worked pretty good for the purpose of just up & fly around ... anything else than that & you will start to suffer from that you can't adjust anything in the app once airborne. Also it's worth noting that a too big phone doesn't work so good, can't move my eyes so far so I miss the outer edges. Use a Samsung Galaxy S8 & that size is about the biggest where you can see the whole screen, a Samsung Galaxy S20+ was to big in this sense.

Here a phone pic into the goggles with the GO4 app active ... the "single" lens are actually 2, the seam is in the middle so you will not see it once wearing the goggles.

1631283235629.png

I´ve used an old Samsung GearVR with my MM and had a very frustrating experience. Seemed like flying watching a 360p video, no safe to fly, can´t see pole wires correctly, buildings and houses have no good resolution
Yeah, I would think you need to get to at least 720p resolution goggles to make it worth it. That's what my FatShark goggles are and the picture is very clear except around the very outward edges.

Yes, This is the problem that I am also having - successfully using a VR BOX with Litchi FPV but there is no way to control the phone - unless someone can find a useful controller for the phone. The controller that comes with the VR box is totally useless apart from being able to change the volume and switch between YouTube clips.
Of course you can use Litchi View so a partner could watch the 3D footage but then there is lag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N