DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV

FPV mode locks the gimbal from rolling. So, when the MM banks in a turn...the footage tilts or leans as though you were flying in an airplane. The opposite gimbal mode keeps the footage parallel to the ground.

Reactions: ff22 and ArcTenTen
FPV mode is not very forgiving, the footage can be uncomfortably jerky on playback even if you think you've been flying smooth turns. I should try it again and see if I've gotten any better.

And no, you don't need goggles; actually the MM does not support goggles.

Reactions: ff22 and ArcTenTen
I had the same question, and posted here

Nobody came back with a compelling reason to want to use it, and I've not found any good reason either!

+1 no use really, check YouTube should be in a review of the drone

As I wrote above, FPV mode gives the footage the appearance of flying in an airplane with the banked turns. I actually got an interesting bit of footage flying lower over a field and turning.

As I wrote above, FPV mode gives the footage the appearance of flying in an airplane with the banked turns. I actually got an interesting bit of footage flying lower over a field and turning.
Fair point, and it seems to be the only way to get some roll on your pictures/videos without post-editing.

However, drones fly quite differently to fixed wing aircraft: FW aircraft need to bank to make smooth turns, whereas drones don't. The roll you get in FPV mode requires the drone to be moving sideways so the flight path and movement are not the same as a FW aircraft. A close approximation can be achieved in larger turns in wide open areas, but up close in tighter areas the effect is a bit weird, I find.

Reactions: rehkram
I have used it a few times while flying and not recording or taking pictures. I am building an FPV freestyle drone to fly, and I have used the FPV mode on the Mini in sport mode to get a sense of what flying the FPV will be like. Fun to play with for sure. After reading Matt's post, I want to try it in a field. I might try that today if it doesn't rain.

Last edited:
No, but it seems like it does. In FPV mode, the gimbal is locked so if you bank, you actually see the bank. You can still bank the Mini when not in FPV mode, you just don't see it because the gimbal adjusts itself to keep itself level.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000