DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frame grabs from 4K video versus jpegs

MavicManic

Reactions
I find that frame grabs from my 4K 30fps video are sharper than the MP jpegs. Since I am mostly interested in clear still photos, should I use ND or polarizing filters? I bought the PolaPro six-pack. Since I am not cocerned about “cinema smooth” shutter speeds of one over double the frame rate (1/60th sec, in this case) but the sharpest still image shouldn’t I shoot with a “naked” lens, or maybe just an ND4-PL to darken blue skies?

When I shot still 35mm film from airplanes, the rule was highest shutter speed to minimize vibrations so 1/1000 or even 1/2000 was typical. We didn’t care about depth of field with the larger aperture as everything was at infinity anyway.

I watched a MP2 (Hasselblad) youtube tutorial wherein it is shown that moderate apertures produce the clearest images.

Does anybody know what aperture will yield the sharpest image on the Mavic Pro (non-Hasselblad)?

Good questions. I would also like to know. I believe you are correct about the filters.

I find that frame grabs from my 4K 30fps video are sharper than the MP jpegs. Since I am mostly interested in clear still photos, should I use ND or polarizing filters?
1. So you prefer 8 megapixel resolution frame grabs rather than 20 MP stills (MP2) or 12MP stills (M2 zoom)?
2. ND filters are only going to slow the shutter speed.
Unless you have a particular reason to want slower shutter speeds, they have no place in still photography from a drone.
3. Forget a polariser. They are much too difficult to use on a drone.

If you want stills, shoot stills and forget about filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone on
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada