DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Free 4k editor?

MKurr

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I have been looking all over for a free 4k editor for windows 7, which editor do you use? Which one would you recommend? For now I only have a non 4k editor which I use to put together my videos...

Resolve.

Many threads about that, quick search should bring up everything you need.

Reactions: MKurr
DaVinci Resolve is probably the best free 4K editor, assuming your graphics card is compatible and it and your processor have the horsepower to handle it.

Reactions: kjcbid54
DaVinci Resolve is probably the best free 4K editor, assuming your graphics card is compatible and it and your processor have the horsepower to handle it.
I tried hitfilm express, (which probably takes up less cpu than resolve) and it slowed down the computer so much that I couldn't do almost anything...

Editing 4K is likely going to be difficult for you until you upgrade your computer. I made do with an older computer using Adobe Premiere Pro (my graphics card at the time wasn't compatible with Resolve). My machine started developing other problems, so I bit the bullet on a Christmas sale Dell had and finally bought a new computer.

Forget 4K editing with Resolve on a non >= 5 core CPU!

Even with an i5 3 GHz 8GB RAM and playing in 1920x1080 you get very slow playback for 4K unless you use optimized media and pre-render cache ALL clips plus audio plus any Effects, if you want to roll through the clip frames. As far as I have seen (task manager) the graphic card is not involved so much but the CPU rushes up to 100% and stays there. I took my 4K clips with an M2Z and an OSMO Pocket.

Another issue is the render quality you set on your final deliver render.

Using YouTube 1080 preset with a restriction to 10000 Kb/sec you get a small mp4/mov file but as soon as you pan or move fast you get very nasty artifacts. But if you select Automatic- Best Quality you get a 10 times larger file which, at least on my sharp HD TV set, cannot be replayed. It replays with a satisfactory quality via apple TV and my home network but takes minutes to pre-load. I'm still in the learning phase and as I do not (yet) have a 4K TV set I am undecided whether filming in 4K on my M2Z is a good option because filming in 1920x1080 gives me an astonishing good digital zoom from 24 - 90. The shots are not at all "drone like".

Try an editor called VSDC. VSDC Free Video Software: audio and video editing tools It doesn't have nearly the feature set of DaVinci or Adobe, but for basic editing needs, like I need, it's really quite good. Resolve would constantly crash on me, so even thought I liked it, I couldn't use it on my old PC. VSDC is a lot more stable, and even though I can't preview videos on my VERY OLD PC without a lot of choppiness, I get by.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Try an editor called VSDC. VSDC Free Video Software: audio and video editing tools It doesn't have nearly the feature set of DaVinci or Adobe, but for basic editing needs, like I need, it's really quite good. Resolve would constantly crash on me, so even thought I liked it, I couldn't use it on my old PC. VSDC is a lot more stable, and even though I can't preview videos on my VERY OLD PC without a lot of choppiness, I get by.
Thanks!

I have resolve and a pretty descent computer that I’ve build myself but I’ve heard the the free version of resolve won’t use your gpu thus slowing down your editing, that being said I’d like to find a free editing program(mainly for color grading)that does 4K while utilizing the graphics card, but I’m still looking myself

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair