DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Free data from T-Moble on my iPad mini 4 w/LTE!

Intrglctcrevfnk

Reactions
[EDIT: as of May 7, 2017 TMobile has discontinued their Free Data For Life program. It was good while it lasted! Wanted to edit to give anyone a heads up who finds this in the future:
T-Mobile to Stop Offering 200MB of Free Data for New iPad Owners ]

Wanted to give everyone a heads up here, I read about the T-Mobile "Free For Life" promo that they rolled out a few years ago. Like many here I picked up an iPad Mini 4 with LTE for my Mavic. Got a great deal on the Best Buy closeout that happened a few weeks ago (it was $369 for a 64GB iPad mini 4 with LTE unlocked!) and was just using my phone to hotspot to the iPad as I got it mainly for the built in GPS. Concerns of interference with wifi and the battery drain on my phone made me think about picking up a sim card and adding it to my family plan.

I really didn't want to pay AT&T another $10+tax every month just to use here and there. I stumbled upon the T-mobile promo somewhere on reddit, but it was a few years old. Even all the documentation on the deal was from 2013. So I called a local T-Mobile and was told I could only get the "free for life" if I bought another service from them. Looked like I'd have to pay $20 to get a T-Moblie SIM card from them also. Turned out the lady on the phone was wrong, either misinformed or just trying to force a sale. I found out that apple sells a SIM card that can be used with any carrier (except for AT&T- if you activate AT&T on the Apple SIM it will permanently lock it to AT&T FYI) and also can be used on international travel too. I don't to much of that but it's a nice bonus :) It can also switch between carriers at any time (again, except for AT&T).

So I chatted online with Apple help and they said that they don't sell a SIM card and you have to get it from a carrier. They don't sell it online either. But from everything I read they should still carry it (here: Use Apple SIM with Wi-Fi + Cellular models of iPad )
Went up to the apple store with a picture of the part number from the Apple SIM (which is MJVV2LL/A by the way, also attached picture) and they pulled one from the back. And it only costs $4.99!!! Figured I couldn't lose with just 5 bucks to risk. Popped it in, picked T-Mobile, then scrolled down to the bottom were it says 'keep it simple plan'. Made a username and profile and within 2 minutes I was up and running.

So now I have 200MB a month from T-Mo to use for map data on DJI GO. It's not a lot of data per month, so I turned off cellular data for just about everything else, because I could blow through 200MB really fast if I let background tasks or streaming get on LTE. Went flying for the 3 batteries I had and used a whopping 8MB. So I think this will work out nicely. All I had to do was set up a username and password, no credit card or anything like that when signing up. Then when I'm home I turn off cellular data entirely.

TL;DR - go get a $5 SIM card from Apple and get 200MB LTE from T-Moble that starts over every month. Free map data without having to cache where you are first. Also it's only for iPad mini 3 and up, iPad pro, and iPad Air 2 and later. That is when they put universal cellular radios in the hardware, older models had specific GSM/CDMA modems for whatever carrier it was branded for.

Hope this helps out!

T-mobile's info page on it:
Free Data for Life | T-Mobile Support

See attachment for Apple SIM part number!

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    683.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Reactions: benz240 and Daskid
Great info, thank you. I may do the same thing if I could find a good deal on a cellular mini 4. $369 for a 64gb unit with cellular is crazy cheap, I cant even find a 16gb brand new for that price w/o cellular.

Reactions: benz240
Yup same here, been using the free data for life on two of my iPad through T-Mobile.
200mb goes a long way and I use it just to get the maps when I'm not near a Wi-Fi.

Most iPads are unlocked unless you bought it from a carrier like AT&T.
And T-Mobile sim cards can be bought from Amazon for 5-10 bucks.

Great info, thank you. I may do the same thing if I could find a good deal on a cellular mini 4. $369 for a 64gb unit with cellular is crazy cheap, I cant even find a 16gb brand new for that price w/o cellular.

Yeah that was just luck and timing. Apple switched the tiers from 16/32/64 to 32/128 end of last year. Guess they sat on the shelf too long after the change. They had a clearance sale beginning of January online. Oddly enough I first paid $449 for it and 4 days later the price dropped to $369. It was still on its way from UPS and I called BB's 800 number and got the difference refunded!

Way better price than the $629 the 64 used to cost (and the 128GB does now)!

Tried chatting with a rep from T-Mobile a few weeks ago they rep told me they do not offer the Free Data for Life plan anymore. I might have to pay my local Apple store a visit for this.

Thank you!

Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
Thanks for the info. I had an Apple SIM card in my mini4 and didn't even know it because I never intended to data-up. So I went into Data in settings and I'm all signed up!

I noticed the email Confirmation Promotional Pass from T-Mobile says "enjoy up to 200 MB of high speed data for use until 03/07/2017". Does it auto renew each month?

Thanks for the info. I had an Apple SIM card in my mini4 and didn't even know it because I never intended to data-up. So I went into Data in settings and I'm all signed up!

I noticed the email Confirmation Promotional Pass from T-Mobile says "enjoy up to 200 MB of high speed data for use until 03/07/2017". Does it auto renew each month?

Yep. Every month. But like a normal cell phone it's not always on the first. February is 28 days which might be why it's the 7th instead of the 5th. Must be based on a 30/31 day cycle.

Awesome very cool. Thanks again.

Went to my local Apple store and got 2 T-mobile sim cards. As I was about to pull my credit card to pay for it, the nice lady said it's free of charge. Sweet! I now have the Free Data For Life plan! Thanks OP!

Just signed up for Data for Life - 200MB / month - $0

So easy to do.

Great idea for dedicated mobile displays!!

Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
Since I'm a T-mobile customer already I was able to add a line for free (Unlimited Data) on my iPad Mini.

You can also try FreedomPop. Their basic plan is free - 200 Mb per month, 200 text, 200 min - but you have to use their messaging app. You can get a sim card for 99 cents.

Since I'm a T-mobile customer already I was able to add a line for free (Unlimited Data) on my iPad Mini.

I just called T-mobile and they quoted me $10.00 a month to add (Unlimited Data) for my Mini. And I have been with them since early 2006. Guess I will just have to shop around a bit more.

Update to all: read that TMobile has discontinued the 200MB free data for life on iPad program. Anyone that has it now is Grandfathered in. However that program is tied to a specific device and not the SIM card so whenever I upgrade my iPad mini that will be the end of that.

200MB isn't a lot anyway but it's been great for flying with maps.

Link to macrumors:
T-Mobile to Stop Offering 200MB of Free Data for New iPad Owners

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom