DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Freewell Mini 3 Gradient filters- first blush

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I received my Freewell gradient filter kit frrom B&H on Friday and just did a very quick test of the lower gradient vs the standard lens cover/filter on the Mini 3 and thought I'd share the first image. I have gradient filters from PolarPro for my Mavic 2 Pro, so I have a little experience with gradients.

IMO the Freewell filter, the one with the least ND has a less graduated progression than the PolarPro set that I have. That was visible as I held both up to the light. The one thing about the PolarPro set is that it is so subtle but effective that I really can't tell that I had a gradient on my M2P at all. Because I'm comparing the two, I think I am biased a bit.

I shots the photos on auto exposure with 0 EV compensation. The one thing about the gradient is that because it darkens the area of the image, when the camera reads the entire area, it averages the exposure out. Without any adjustment on the gradient image, the sky was only slightly darker, but the lower, ground portion was slightly lighter than the non-gradient shot. I adjusted the gradient image to be closer in "exposure" to the buildings and ground of the non-gradient image so what the filter does to the sky is more evident in this comparison and the gradient's effect can be better seen.

I think the filters will be useful, as the purpose is to lessen the impact of a bright sky combined with the ground image area. Are the filters as well produced as the PolarPro? Not in my opinion, but I think they can be very useful a lot of the time when sky and ground appear in the footage at the same time. $39 for a two filter set from B&H.

1678042642203.png

Reactions: Prop Wash
That's quite a difference. I like the filtered one - obviously more sky detail with only minimal affect on the buildings!

Reactions: michaeldallen1
I did a bit of practice filming yesterday but I don’t have a computer with me. Is there a way to get images and video off a SD card into an iPad?

I like the PolarPro gradients a lot. Too bad they discontinued them on the M2p and never went forward with them. I had to get mine from Japan.

We use one of these to transfer most of our data to and from iPads:

Anker 555 USB-C hub on Amazon

When we need faster transfer of lots of large video files, we use this one instead:

AngelBird dual SD card reader

It is strange that the graduated ND filter isn’t a “thing” with aerial cameras. Obviously, it’s not an every flight kind of thing like standard NDs are, but they can come in handy, just like with landscape photography.

Is there a way to get images and video off a SD card into an iPad?
I use this but I don’t think they make them anymore. It works great. You may be able to find something similar.

A2A2366C-1B2F-483D-8694-A3D51C70D553.png

Can one use a standard card reader to iPad’s USB-c?

Can one use a standard card reader to iPad’s USB-c?
It will likely depend on the card reader. The Gigastone one comes with an App that allows you to manage the files on the mSD card that is inserted into it. It is a powerful app that not only allows you to view photos and videos but it allows you to move files to and from the card. It also has built in backup software that can completely backup your photos/videos to a mSD card which I find very handy.

I have another card reader that is for regular SD cards and it doesn't come with any software. I can only copy files from my SD card to my photo library on my iPhone and they have to be in the camera directory or the Photos app will not recognize the files. So it really depends on the card reader - the ones that come with software or have downloadable software will likely have much more features.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22