DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell vnd filters for Mavic 2 pro

RaviSene

Reactions
Just saw a video comments made by "Drone mood " youtuber. He has noticed and experienced some issues with the gimbal after mounting the filters. Has anyone noticed gimbal getting stuck? Wanted to orde the same but ...

Just saw a video comments made by "Drone mood " youtuber. He has noticed and experienced some issues with the gimbal after mounting the filters. Has anyone noticed gimbal getting stuck? Wanted to orde the same but ...

I would like to know the issues as I have the VND. Could you please share the link? I couldn't find the said video on YouTube. Thanks.

I will have a set when I can get them other than waiting
a month after buying them.

Reactions: Bill combs

It’s a filter, just like what you remove to install it. His “gimbal issue” isn’t the filter. They work as expected for me.

Reactions: RaviSene
It’s a filter, just like what you remove to install it. His “gimbal issue” isn’t the filter. They work as expected for me.
Wanted to make it clear, had a chat with Freewell yesterday. They assured me, that there won't be any such issue, only two such complaints so far. I had a doubt after watching "Drone Mood"
he mentioned about oversize of the filter lead to this problem of the gimbal.

I was excited to have found a filter that would make constant ND filter change unnecessary.
In the countryside on a sunny day I used it for the first time. I set it to ND4.
On my tablets screen I already found the colors akward, very green and oversaturated.
Back home I did a comparison with the original DJI ND and the original Hasselblad UV Filter.
See below.

The Freewell Filter ads massive green. It seems to also have a polarizing effect when I look at the sky.
Note how much more dense it is by looking at the shutter speed:
With the DJI ND4 it was 1/320s, on the Freewell ND4 it was 1/25s!!
All images were shot at f/4, WB was 5800.

I'll try to return those. To me this is garbage.

Freewell ND4.JPG

DJI ND4.JPG

Original Hasselblad UV.JPG

Hmmm, this discussion made me really nervous. I always got vignetting on my panorama photos, and I thought maybe ND filters are just no good at this kind of photos as I never tried any other ND filters before. But it seems the filter is faulty?

DJI_0320-resize.jpg

I have a set of the Freewell filters and I am having problems with the gimbal getting stuck at initialization. I have to gently hold the bottom of the camera when the Mavic is turned on to ensure it ends up looking straight ahead.

I have also had significant problems with vignetting and too much yellow brween ND4 and ND16. I haven't had to go higher.

Vignetting can be smoothed out some in post processing. The gimbal issue is more serious because it can overheat if its stuck.

I never had a single issue with the Hasselblad lens.

I will make a video of the sticking issue in a day or two

Mavic 2 Pro. It's a camera.

Reactions: RaviSene
I have not had any sticking of the gimbal on my Mavic 2 with the Freewell NVD filters.

I have a set of the Freewell filters and I am having problems with the gimbal getting stuck at initialization. I have to gently hold the bottom of the camera when the Mavic is turned on to ensure it ends up looking straight ahead.

I have also had significant problems with vignetting and too much yellow brween ND4 and ND16. I haven't had to go higher.

Vignetting can be smoothed out some in post processing. The gimbal issue is more serious because it can overheat if its stuck.

I never had a single issue with the Hasselblad lens.

I will make a video of the sticking issue in a day or two

Mavic 2 Pro. It's a camera.

Yikes! That pano in #9.... @waynesi I've seen that in DSLR's when using polarizing filters but not a good quality ND. I wouldn't try a polarizer for panos. Is that just a regular ND?

I have not had any sticking of the gimbal on my Mavic 2 with the Freewell NVD filters.

Here is my video of the problem I am having with the Freewell ND filers. The first clip is with the original Hasselblad lens. The second clip is with the Freewell ND filter attached:

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint you but YES the gimbal problem was from the filter cause after talking about that with Freewell, my filters have a manufacturing default ? we are not a lot to have those problems but it can happen sometimes ??‍♂️ I’m actually waiting for new ones from Freewell to make another review ! ✌? Oh and for those of you who have same issues, just contact Freewell and they’ll replace them for you ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Sorry to disappoint you but YES the gimbal problem was from the filter cause after talking about that with Freewell, my filters have a manufacturing default ? we are not a lot to have those problems but it can happen sometimes ??‍♂️ I’m actually waiting for new ones from Freewell to make another review ! ✌? Oh and for those of you who have same issues, just contact Freewell and they’ll replace them for you ?
Mine shipped yesterday and should be here in a week or so... we’ll see.

Mine shipped yesterday and should be here in a week or so... we’ll see.
They report my issues to their factory so... I think all good now. By the way my bro from Drone Supremacy tested them and tell me that his own don’t have any problems ? it was just no luck for me and a few other people ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
They report my issues to their factory so... I think all good now. By the way my bro from Drone Supremacy tested them a tell me that his own don’t have any problems ? it was just no luck for me and a few other people ?
Hope mine are a new batch w/o this problem... ordered them from the manufacturer (Freewell) since I could get both adjustable filters for about $25 more than all the out of stock sellers want for one.

Hope mine are a new batch w/o this problem... ordered them from the manufacturer (Freewell) since I could get both adjustable filters for about $25 more than all the out of stock sellers want for one.
Let me know here when you have tested them ? I should be getting mine next Monday but I’m going to Bali for 2 weeks on Wednesday so I’ll make the second review from there (by the way it can be good ahah) Let’s keep in touch here !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22