DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell Wide Angle / Anamorphic Lens for Mini 3 Pro

Aerophile

Reactions
I see this and am curious...

Freewell ND Compatible Wide Angle, Anamorphic Lens for Mini 3 Pro

You get (I think) a "wide angle lens" (111° field of view), and an "anamorphic lens" (with a "desqueeze factor" of 1.19, whatever that means), plus ND filters (16, 32, 64, 128 and 256) that fit either lens.

Anyone here tried these ? Familiar with them generically?

(I recall DJI initially offered their own wide angle lens as an accessory when the Mini 3 pro was first released, but it appears that lens was abandoned, for reasons unknown, and it never shipped in quantity).

Hmmm.

I have a set of Freewell variable nd filters for my MP2 and they work well. This is my only experience with Freewell.

(I recall DJI initially offered their own wide angle lens as an accessory when the Mini 3 pro was first released, but it appears that lens was abandoned, for reasons unknown, and it never shipped in quantity).

Hmmm.
They reintroduced the Wide lens back and an update to the fw.
I've had focus issues with the DJI one but the extra FOV is good.
Me no can vouch for the freewell!

"anamorphic lens" (with a "desqueeze factor" of 1.19, whatever that means),
An anamorphic lens captures a wider FOV than normally fits the 16:9 aspect of the camera, compressing the horizontal dimension of the image so no vertical resolution is lost like it would be with cropping. The distortion is then reversed at playback, producing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (Cinemascope), and the familiar "black bars" above and below the image on a 16:9 screen.

Reactions: jorn
I broke down and bought that set from B&H several weeks ago. The camera gimble handles the extra weight very good. It's best to put them on before turning the drone on, so the gimble goes through it's startup dance correctly. To use the filters, the camera needs to have either the w/a or anamorphic lens installed beforehand.
The w/a lens gives a slightly better fov over the DJI w/a, but it's more or less a wash when compared to the images taken.
The anamorphic lens is pretty cool, but you have to have editing software that will allow you to "de-squeeze" the video. Davinci Resolve, Cyberlink in my experience, but I haven't had the time to try it in Premiere properly.
The Fly app will notify you that you have a wide angle lens installed just like the DJI filter, and will also show the same notification with the anamorphic lens installed. There are some features that will not work with these lenses installed.
The final results that are rendered in 4K and played on my 75" 4K tv are amazing.
Here's a link to one of the videos

Reactions: miniflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98