DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freezing Rain and Mavic 2 flight

clearchrome

Reactions
Hi,

I live in Quebec Canada and today we expect an ice storm conditions. I would like to get some arial shots of the powerlines with ice dangling over them as this is a rare art work opportunity.

I seen videos where some people lost their drones underwater and were still able to salvalge them using rice bags.

My question is , I'm I asking for trouble or the M2Z can handle it no prob??.

Flight time would be like maximum 5 mins with some pre-heating inside the car at first.

Ice.jpgice-storm.jpg

Pictures above were taken from the 1998 ice storm crises

Last edited:
Agree with sar104. Freezing rain can build on leading edges at astonishing rates. It doesn't take much ice build up on the propellers to destroy lift. And if you haven't already crashed, when one blade slings its ice load, the imbalance can do damage as well. Best to stay the heck out of it.

On small aircraft, it's often icing of the horizontal stab and elevator that results in fatalities. The tailplane can no longer provide down force and so the plane pitches nose down with no recovery likely before shedding wings and/or impacting ground.

My amateur opinion is that flying a quadcopter, with four non waterproof electric motors , in ANY rain, freezing or not , is asking for a bad situation .

Could try flying in those conditions but only if you have a plan to possibly replace the drone. Any frost or ice build on the props may cause a crash.

If it gets wet and you need to dry it out, do not use rice or rice bags. That is a fallacy and not good advice. It is far better to use bags of silica gel or drying fans or dehumidifiers.

I wouldn't fly it in active icing conditions, but after the storm when the humidity has dropped then it should be fine.
+1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett