DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freezing Temperatures?

gyeung743

Reactions
I want to take some footage with my Mavic Pro (1st series). Should I keep the gimbal cover on because it will keep my drone warmer? Or is that a bad idea? The temperatures are around 30F - 32F. Because I’m taking footage of skiing. So there will be some snowing. Thanks.

Take it off. Keep your batteries warm.

Hi there
I flew my Pro down to - 6 C so far with no gimbal cover and all went well. Just put a warm battery on it before take off. You can monitor battery temperature during flight just click on battery icon.
Have as well the voltage displayed. Light snowing should not affect it other than if a flake gets on the lens your footage will be ruined.
If you have battery mod be very careful. I found out that due the less current draw from the main battery, it's temperature drops during flight in bellow 0 temps. Better stick to stock winter time
J

Taking video with the Lens Bubble on will result in very poor quality video. Have you tried it ?

Many here have flown in much less than freezing temperatures. Flight time will be shorter as the batteries are depleted faster. Like it has been mentioned just make sure your batteries are warm and hover for a few moments to get the batteries up to temp.

Keep your battery’s in a inside pocket next to your body . I have flown down to -25

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I’ve flown in -5f and snow, with no problem. Light snow isn’t a problem, but it wouldn’t hurt to land and wipe it off if it is accumulating on the machine.

Also, if a snowflake hits the OA sensor, it will stop on a dime.

Keep in mind that DJI only reccomends 32f, so if anything goes south it’s on you.

As already stated, keep your batteries warm until takeoff. If they drop below a certain temp, the app will prevent you from taking off.

Gimbal cover will give you a distorted image,

If you really want to . Try it . Take a short video with the lens bubble on and view it. I think you will be less than pleased with the video produced.
Without the lens bubble on you may get snowflakes that hit the lens and need to be wiped with a soft cloth to remove , but thats just part of the process.

Dont let too many particles of snow "build up" .

Let your MP acclimate to outside temp, if you take it outside from warm environment I would expect the lens to fog over for a bit.
That's not how condensation forms, it forms when a cold object is brought into warm environment.
I have flown my mavic at -35C/-31F with zero issues. The one thing I do do to prevent condensation after I'm done flying is when it's really cold is fold it up and put it in a Ziploc bag and suck the air out.
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S