DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fresh Kill

DDS

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Taken w/ a MP down by the jersey shore. Zoom in and u can see whatever is left of the bass i believe

As far as the Bird I was told by one bird enthusiast is a Red Tailed Hawk, however another bird watcher told me it's an Osprey. Anyone know what bird this is?

That's an Osprey. Great pic.

Reactions: DDS
That nest is HUGE! Pretty amazing

heres the video

Taken w/ a MP down by the jersey shore. Zoom in and u can see whatever is left of the bass i believe

As far as the Bird I was told by one bird enthusiast is a Red Tailed Hawk, however another bird watcher told me it's an Osprey. Anyone know what bird this is?

View attachment 73852
Whatever it is you are far too close to nesting bird of prey!!

View attachment 73852
Wow that’s a fantastic shot !! Love it. Intense Too. Lol

Reactions: DDS
Too close - these shots give drones a bad name!

def risky but to me was worth the risk (no danger as it's a vacant building w/ no foot traffic or any traffic for that matter) besides i know a guy who fixes these things should the bird defend its territory ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
def risky but to me was worth the risk (no danger as it's a vacant building w/ no foot traffic or any traffic for that matter) besides i know a guy who fixes these things should the bird defend its territory ;)
It might be a surprise to learn many are more concerned about the harm you may cause to the bird acting on instinct than the potential damage to your flying toy.

It might be a surprise to learn many are more concerned about the harm you may cause to the bird acting on instinct than the potential damage to your flying toy.
@WithTheBirds It was my assumption that a plastic consumer drone is no match for this birds of prey’s talons. however u do make a valid point, if the mp can harm the osprey I def would not have taken that flight.
The forum is all about learning and awareness. I thank u for bringing this to my attention

Reactions: dirkclod
I meant that it is too close for the bird which is clearly highly stressed by the encounter and might feel it has to vacate a nesting spot that it has invested a lot of work on. It might not even breed this year.

You might also want to consider that it is illegal to harass migratory birds in the US but, what the hey, I love it when people break the law and post the evidence on a public website.

I meant that it is too close for the bird which is clearly highly stressed by the encounter and might feel it has to vacate a nesting spot that it has invested a lot of work on. It might not even breed this year.

You might also want to consider that it is illegal to harass migratory birds in the US but, what the hey, I love it when people break the law and post the evidence on a public website.
The nest is flourishing as I see a whole flock of ospreys going in and out of that nest. what my concern is what’s going to happen to the nest now that a developer bought all the vacant property and is building condos

I hate being the guy to snark about someone's flying and footage, but you should definitely not do that again. Whether or not the nest appears to be flourishing, and whether or not a developer is going to be working there, please stay away from that nest and let them be. Ospreys are protected, especially nesting ones. Conservationists have done an incredible amount of work over the years building osprey nests all along the Jersey Shore to help the population of this threatened species. Harassing them is not going to help this cause. Whether or not you think that the nest is flourishing, drones absolutely stress out nesting birds. (I inadvertently upset an oystercatcher who, unbeknownst to me, had a nest in the dunes near where I was flying on the beach. I had to land and go fly somewhere else.) Not to mention that it is going to lead to more restrictive drone laws in NJ, which is not good for any of us. If you're going to come down the shore with your drone, that's totally fine -- just please be mindful and steer clear of our sensitive wildlife.

If you want to see into a nest -- a valid curiosity -- there are some great osprey cams online at Island Beach State Park.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929