Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Friday, March 11th, 2022 and the BVLOS saga . . .The ARC Report to the FAA

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
As many of you may already be seeing, yesterday the FAA Released a VERY long report on UAS BVLOS operation.

First off let me break it down for those who have only seen the headlines.... we are NOT ALLOWED TO FLY BVLOS without a Waiver right now. I repeat

we are NOT ALLOWED TO FLY BVLOS without a Waiver right now

This report is merely the Final Report of the Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) on UAS BVLOS operation. This is only a committee making recommendations to the FAA. It will take time for the FAA to "digest" this report and then come up with what they want to take from it. Then they will likely, at some point in the future, create a new Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) which will then have to go through the long process of Public Comments etc. Once that time period has expired the FAA would then take into account the comments from the Public (or not) and make revisions or possibly start the actual process of actually codifying their final rule. This could be a long process or a VERY long process.

If I had to "guess" I would estimate a Final Ruling could be 12-24 months away at best. There are a LOT of variables at play here and it's not going to be easy to say the least.

I would fully expect @Vic Moss and Greg @pilotinstitute to weigh in here.

I ask that we make every effort to keep any discussions about this in the UAS Rules & Regulations section of this forum:

Greg's working on it as we speak. I'm sure we'll put something out as well. After all, Kenji was on that ARC.

I suspect @pilotinstitute will have one out very soon.

... and it has some VERY exciting parts. Let's hope the FAA takes the suggestions seriously. Afterall, they were also on that committee.

... and it has some VERY exciting parts. Let's hope the FAA takes the suggestions seriously. Afterall, they were also on that committee.

We can definitely HOPE so.... would be a nice change of pace from the "norm".....

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
As many of you may already be seeing, yesterday the FAA Released a VERY long report on UAS BVLOS operation.

First off let me break it down for those who have only seen the headlines.... we are NOT ALLOWED TO FLY BVLOS without a Waiver right now. I repeat

we are NOT ALLOWED TO FLY BVLOS without a Waiver right now

This report is merely the Final Report of the Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) on UAS BVLOS operation. This is only a committee making recommendations to the FAA. It will take time for the FAA to "digest" this report and then come up with what they want to take from it. Then they will likely, at some point in the future, create a new Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) which will then have to go through the long process of Public Comments etc. Once that time period has expired the FAA would then take into account the comments from the Public (or not) and make revisions or possibly start the actual process of actually codifying their final rule. This could be a long process or a VERY long process.

If I had to "guess" I would estimate a Final Ruling could be 12-24 months away at best. There are a LOT of variables at play here and it's not going to be easy to say the least.

I would fully expect @Vic Moss and Greg @pilotinstitute to weigh in here.

I ask that we make every effort to keep any discussions about this in the UAS Rules & Regulations section of this forum:

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers!

So, does this mean we can fly BVLOS now?

I KID, I KID!!! Just a lame joke, please don’t flame me. 😝

As William Shakespeare might have observed, the reactions to a couple of exclamation points and a capital NOT was Much Ado About Nothing.

I shudder to think what all the capital letters and large, bold, red type in @BigAl107's summary will set off. Fasten your seatbelts and brace for impact!

I accept I have a simplistic view on VLOS and BVLOS: If you want to fly BVLOS, then you must be licensed (that means understanding and accepting the relevant risks and being accountable when things go south). That may include mandatory 3rd party insurance or similar.

Alternatively, fly VLOS, that’s where I’m comfortable and happy. I am a bit of a control freak and want to know I’m in control of situations and external influences.

I accept that’s just me and others will have different preferences. I do enjoy watching videos of nice areas and am impressed with other’s flying skills. I just do this as a hobby and for my and my family’s enjoyment to show our trips from an aerial perspective as well as ground based.

We're essentially the same as the US - so, no we can't without being approved (we've got delivery services in trial on the southern side of Brisbane - Logan). I'm just saying that I'm happy to fly VLOS in my comfort zone and IF it gets to the point where BVLOS is allowed, it should only be after being approved for some form of license - whether that's akin to your 107 authorisation or another level up? But certainly where the PIC fully understands and appreciates the risks and has appropriate 3rd party insurance.

Reactions: MS Coast
Is it possible to legally fly BVLOS in Australia if you are licensed? It's definitely not that way in the US or the EU.
It takes extensive pre authorisation from CASA, for very specific purposes. For all intents and purposes the answer is essentially no. I go with4006448 on this one. I like to take my drone out, take it home in one piece, and sleep at night.

I treat it as a hobby that comes with risks, but risks that are managed as far as possible.

Reactions: 4006448
As William Shakespeare might have observed, the reactions to a couple of exclamation points and a capital NOT was Much Ado About Nothing.

I shudder to think what all the capital letters and large, bold, red type in @BigAl107's summary will set off. Fasten your seatbelts and brace for impact!

I'm shocked it didn't set off anyone... I was expecting all kinds of issues, complaints, and REPORTS due to my "formatting" my statement. With all that formatting they could have "Read a LOT Into" my words.... I mean look what was "inserted" into my 2-words . . . :)

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
I'm shocked it didn't set off anyone... I was expecting all kinds of issues, complaints, and REPORTS due to my "formatting" my statement. With all that formatting they could have "Read a LOT Into" my words.... I mean look what was "inserted" into my 2-words . . . :)
Perhaps the recent "spat" (or blue as we Aussies say) on the "we can do better" thread had a positive side. Oh dear, Should I have used the words "spat" or "blue". Better not go there🤣

One thing I got out of a recent post. Someone used the term "Please don't flame me". I like it!

Reactions: BigAl07
If you'd like to get some insight into this document check out this thread from Vic about a Live Streaming event tomorrow evening:

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent