DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Friendly police in Cartagena, Colombia

Clipper707

Reactions
Cartagena, Colombia is an extremely droneworthy and drone-friendly destination.

I'm living and working in Medellin for the month of May, and brought my Mini 2 on the chance I'd get some flying opportunities. I got a few days off and visited Cartagena this weekend. I love the old walled part of the city called Amurallada.

I was at a small park beside the wall and asked two cops of the Policia Nacional if I could fly a drone. Sure, it's ok. Here and up on the wall. The beach too. If there were any limits, they didn't indicate any.

I flew to my hearts content and batteries' exhaustion. I stopped for a light afternoon snack on a balcony overlooking a square. The church doors opened and a wedding party poured out, along with a crew of photographers including a big Mavic. The operator took off and launched from within the public square.

Later, just after sunset I was at the Torre de Reloj (clock tower) and I got into a conversation with a policeman who turned out to be the Capitan of the Tourism Police for Cartagena. I told him I planned to come back to the square and fly in the morning. He said, you should fly now while it's a beautiful, lively, and crowded. I had one remaining battery with about 26% so I did a short flight. He hadn't seen the Mini2 and was impressed by the size. Capitan Sotelo said drone videos are good for tourism.

Capitan Sotelo pointed me in the direction of his favorite seafood restaurant. Returning to my hotel, I passed the square and sought him out to thank him for the recommendation and take a selfie. There was another Mini in the air at the time and the operator was wearing an iPad on his back showing a live feed of his flight. I'd never seen that before.

It's said a unit takes after its leader. All of my encounters with the Cartagena police proved to be friendly and pleasant. They are all tourism ambassadors, like their Capitan. I don't know about the rest of Colombia, but Cartagena is clean, safe, and friendly towards drones. You can fly almost anywhere in the walled city and the 16th and 17th century architecture is stunning.

DJI_0106.JPG

Last edited:
Cartagena, Colombia is an extremely droneworthy and drone-friendly destination.

I'm living and working in Medellin for the month of May, and brought my Mini 2 on the chance I'd get some flying opportunities. I got a few days off and visited Cartagena this weekend. I love the old walled part of the city called Amurallada.

I was at a small park beside the wall and asked two cops of the Policia Nacional if I could fly a drone. Sure, it's ok. Here and up on the wall. The beach too. If there were any limits, they didn't indicate any.

I flew to my hearts content and batteries' exhaustion. I stopped for a light afternoon snack on a balcony overlooking a square. The church doors opened and a wedding party poured out, along with a crew of photographers including a big Mavic. The operator took off and launched from within the public square.

Later, just after sunset I was at the Torre de Reloj (clock tower) and I got into a conversation with a policeman who turned out to be the Capitan of the Tourism Police for Cartagena. I told him I planned to come back to the square and fly in the morning. He said, you should fly now while it's a beautiful, lively, and crowded. I had one remaining battery with about 26% so I did a short flight. He hadn't seen the Mini2 and was impressed by the size. Capitan Sotelo said drone videos are good for tourism.

Capitan Sotelo pointed me in the direction of his favorite seafood restaurant. Returning to my hotel, I passed the square and sought him out to thank him for the recommendation and take a selfie. There was another Mini in the air at the time and the operator was wearing an iPad on his back showing a live feed of his flight. I'd never seen that before.

It's said a unit takes after its leader. All of my encounters with the Cartagena police proved to be friendly and pleasant. They are all tourism ambassadors, like their Capitan. I don't know about the rest of Colombia, but Cartagena is clean, safe, and friendly towards drones. You can fly almost anywhere in the walled city and the 16th and 17th century architecture is stunning.

View attachment 148390
Did you Need to register any droneflights or do a drone Training beforehand? I only read of rules regarding drones, which weigh more than 250g

Did you Need to register any droneflights or do a drone Training beforehand? I only read of rules regarding drones, which weigh more than 250g
I didn't do any of those things (register or training.) I was just a guy there with a drone flying among friendly police. I happened to be there with my 249g Mini 2, but if I'd been flying my heavier M2P, it would have made no difference.

Later I was in Santa Fe de Antioquia and the police there were just as friendly and tolerant.

Thanks for sharing your story. Most LE are good people and helpful. The Capitano has a good attitude.
Regards

Reactions: Clipper707

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60