DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Front object avoidance issue

migmatite67

Reactions
I was flying about 40-50 ft up just practicing flying circles and enjoying a clear sunny day. Several times when flying in over a gravel lot with nothing within 100 ft radius, I got an avoidance alarm and the drone stopped. I RTH and checked the drone over and didn’t see anything that I could determine would cause this to happen. It happened a few random times so I landed and decided to check for anyone else experiencing similar things. My firmware is up to date. Compass calibrated before each flight. Anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Safe flying

Richard

It isn't uncommon for the sun to get into the Obstacle Avoidance (OA) "eyes" and fool the system into thinking it's an obstacle. This particularly happens in early or late day sun.

It is not recommended to calibrate the compass on each flight.

Beat me to it DanDaMan. :p

Thanks. It was a very sunny day and I was flying towards the sun now that I think about it. How often do you calibrate the compass?

Only when it asks me to, or observing uncommanded yaw, which has been never. Some productions of the M2 do ask for calibration every 30 days or 30 miles from last launch. Mine doesn't.

If you do get frequent calls for calibration, then you may need to demagnetise the AC. That can happen when stored near magnets such as what you find in speakers.

The problem with always calibrating is that you might actually have low magnetic interference and get a worse calibration.

Reactions: Joe Boudreault
Thanks. It was a very sunny day and I was flying towards the sun now that I think about it. How often do you calibrate the compass?
Hardly ever. Recalibrate after modifications that add or remove something from the drone.
As long as your drone is flying straight and hovers in place without slowly spiraling, the compass calibration is just fine.
My main drone is three years old and has never had anything calibrated.
It still flies as well as it did on day one.

Thanks guys. Good example of being overly cautious that could create more issues than it solves. Thank you all for sharing knowledge that helps us all become better pilots.

Some productions of the M2 do ask for calibration every 30 days or 30 miles from last launch. Mine doesn't.
mine must be one of those models as it ask me and only then do I do one.
Hardly ever. Recalibrate after modifications that add or remove something from the drone.
My Phantoms are like that but not seen it with any of my mavics. Course I don’t have anything that I add to it like trackers and so on. Really havn’t modded anything with these. You don’t have to.

I was flying about 40-50 ft up just practicing flying circles and enjoying a clear sunny day. Several times when flying in over a gravel lot with nothing within 100 ft radius, I got an avoidance alarm and the drone stopped. I RTH and checked the drone over and didn’t see anything that I could determine would cause this to happen. It happened a few random times so I landed and decided to check for anyone else experiencing similar things. My firmware is up to date. Compass calibrated before each flight. Anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Safe flying

Richard
Dust off the sensors that could help I had that problem and cleaned the front sensors and it really helped

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser