DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Front strobe color

JayTea26

Reactions
I have a strobe I’m going to mount on my rear leg.

Is it “overkill” to mount a red strobe one front leg and a green on the other?

I’m thinking about putting just one light on the front - but can’t decide on the best color to use?

Recreational use - lights main purpose for me is to see it - going and coming.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing for the same reason. While the red and green would be "correct" the fact is that the white strobes are more visible and if you have one color strobe on the front and a different color on the back you should still be able to determine the drone's orientation/which way it's facing even with the same color on both front legs.

Some folks like the red/green lighting because it is similar to naval port and starboard, which you'd get some orientation feedback from. However, the white strobe is going to give you the best shot of VLOS in daylight. I use white strobes only. (front / back) The app gives me my orientation feedback, if however I ended up in Atti mode, then it could be a little confusing. White is most visible, followed by red, then green, then blue. Its not overkill IMHO, its wise, my eyes are old, so every little bit of help they can get.... yep!

Just because to me green means good, I put green on the front of mine. Red on the back is telling me that it is flying away from me. This is not correct in marking port and starboard, I understand that, just my personal choice.

Reactions: JayTea26
Hi AK consider putting some extra strobes on your bird. I went for Firehouse duos Double strobes red forward left leg, green forward right leg and a white on each of the rears. The rears I leave on strobing white and the forwards on slow flash. The strobes come with 3 modes strobe flash(fast) slow pulse type flash or permanen. Depending on the mode depends on their battery life(self contained rechargeable batteries).
This will help you spot the bird further away but more importantly help you with spatial awareness and aircraft orientation. Ie if you see white flashing the bird is flying away so stick left bird left. If you see red and green it’s coming towards you so opposite stick.
As old man said practice and big spaces and it will come to you.
But most of all enjoy what is a cracking drone!!

sorry not sure how to link to recent posts but this was my advice I gave to a recent new member

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22