DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frustrated with 8k Hyperlapse

Ttrent

Reactions
SO, I found that I can play 8K hyperlapse on my Mac by downloading SPLAYER for free from the App Store. That is ok BUT, What I really want is the ability to edit the hyperlapse in FinalCut with out the grey bars that the AIr2 includes in the video. I found that I can upload directly to YouTube from the 8K format but without color correction and editing what is the point? YouTube also downsamples my upload to 1080P. Has anyone figured out how to edit the 8K hyperlapse on a Mac?
Here is the upload on YouTube.

1. Worst case scenario, download it from YouTube after uploading. It should be available in the full 8K resolution.
2. Did you try any other re-encoding tools? Like Handbrake?
3. Why do you even bother with 8ak? The 4K option has better dynamic range and you can get the raw files for much better editability.

1. Worst case scenario, download it from YouTube after uploading. It should be available in the full 8K resolution.
2. Did you try any other re-encoding tools? Like Handbrake?
3. Why do you even bother with 8ak? The 4K option has better dynamic range and you can get the raw files for much better editability.
Are you sure there is a 4k option? I thought it was 8k or 1080p, no 4k. Or has that been changed via a firmware update?

Are you sure there is a 4k option? I thought it was 8k or 1080p, no 4k. Or has that been changed via a firmware update?

Reactions: Ttrent
SO, I found that I can play 8K hyperlapse on my Mac by downloading SPLAYER for free from the App Store. That is ok BUT, What I really want is the ability to edit the hyperlapse in FinalCut with out the grey bars that the AIr2 includes in the video. I found that I can upload directly to YouTube from the 8K format but without color correction and editing what is the point? YouTube also downsamples my upload to 1080P. Has anyone figured out how to edit the 8K hyperlapse on a Mac?
Here is the upload on YouTube.
You are going to need to set a custom resolution in Final Cut Pro. FCPX It’s weird about resolutions and not as flexible as it should be.

I recommend using a 4k timeline not an 8K timeline. There’s no point in exporting 8k at this point so few people have 8k screens and the internet to support it so isn’t worth it and will just make your life miserable at every step of the way. However, It will allow you to crop without loosing detail So you can get rid of the bars if you want or just transform to the aspect ratio you want

YouTube uses VP9 encoding for videos 4k and up. Apple is boycotting VP9 in favor of HEVC so Safari does not play videos that are VP9. To watch 4k videos and above on YouTube you need to use Google Chrome for best results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ttrent
You are going to need to set a custom resolution in Final Cut Pro. It’s weird about resolutions and not as flexible as it should be. I recommend using a 4k timeline not an 8K timeline. There’s no point in exporting 8k at this point so few people have 8k screens and the internet to support it it isn’t worth it and will just make your life miserable at every step of the way. It will allow you to crop without loosing detail So you can get rid of the bars if you want of just transform to the aspect ratio you want

YouTube uses VP9 encoding for videos 4k and up. Apple is boycotting VP9 in favor of HEVC so Safari does not play videos that are VP9. To watch 4k videos and above on YouTube you need to use Google Chrome for best results.
Also, 99% of people are not going to notice a difference in quality between 4k and 8k, even on a big tv. Not to mention that most people look at these videos on laptops or phones. No, for quality improvements focus on dynamic range, not resolution.

Really the best way to do this is to just download the original RAW files and create the hyperlapse yourself in DaVinci Resolve or something (Final Cut Pro X doesn’t support DNG sequences).

Then you’d get 12-bits to work with and you COULD do real HDR. You would still need an HDR reference monitor to do it properly though.

Thanks All for the Great feedback! I really wanted the 8k Hyperlapse to be able to produce content in 4K But based on the above posts making my own 4K hyperlapse from RAW seems to be the better option for a better quality 4k result. Not as push button as I would like but I'm going back out today to play! I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11