DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frustrating outing this weekend....

1bad

Reactions
Good Morning,

I am hoping you guys can help me with the logic a little in the drone as I'm sure I either have user error or maybe I need a drone with different software limitations, However, I'm sure it is my error.

I took my drone and did some hiking this weekend in Sedona, Arizona if any of you are familiar. I hiked deep into a couple different trails then launched my Mavic to get the epic shots I was looking for. However, in both cases in two different spots I was met with a maximum flight altitude error and could not get the drone any higher. Both cases the drone was only 5 to 15 feet above the launch point.

The first launch:
- Was in the side of a mountain, in what they call the birthing cave, basically a dent in the side of a mountain
- I can't remember the exact words, but a a visual line of sight launch only which I have seen before
- no home location was set immediately
- Took drone up to 10 feet - hit the maximum flight altitude error.Decided to take it out at that altitude since i was going out over a drop off anyway
- Once I got about 50 to 75 feet out in open space it set a home point and released height restrictions
- However, this became a problem later when it tried to return home into no man's land out over the drop off.
- I got it back in and landed gave up at that location. Thought maybe it was funny signal or something causing errors.

The second Launch:
- Was in a pretty open canyon next to oak creek and wanted to fly through this canyon
- Launched drone, again no home location would establish
- drone went to 16ft hit max
- Would fly all over but not any higher, never established home location or got height restriction to lift.

Bring it home launch it in the driveway, away she goes.....

What can cause height restrictions in the software?
(All my settings are at max height and distance allowable in the programming.)

If it is lack of signal how do people fly in remote areas?

Thanks for your help
Aaron

Reactions: old man mavic
Good Morning,

I am hoping you guys can help me with the logic a little in the drone as I'm sure I either have user error or maybe I need a drone with different software limitations, However, I'm sure it is my error.

I took my drone and did some hiking this weekend in Sedona, Arizona if any of you are familiar. I hiked deep into a couple different trails then launched my Mavic to get the epic shots I was looking for. However, in both cases in two different spots I was met with a maximum flight altitude error and could not get the drone any higher. Both cases the drone was only 5 to 15 feet above the launch point.

The first launch:
- Was in the side of a mountain, in what they call the birthing cave, basically a dent in the side of a mountain
- I can't remember the exact words, but a a visual line of sight launch only which I have seen before
- no home location was set immediately
- Took drone up to 10 feet - hit the maximum flight altitude error.Decided to take it out at that altitude since i was going out over a drop off anyway
- Once I got about 50 to 75 feet out in open space it set a home point and released height restrictions
- However, this became a problem later when it tried to return home into no man's land out over the drop off.
- I got it back in and landed gave up at that location. Thought maybe it was funny signal or something causing errors.

The second Launch:
- Was in a pretty open canyon next to oak creek and wanted to fly through this canyon
- Launched drone, again no home location would establish
- drone went to 16ft hit max
- Would fly all over but not any higher, never established home location or got height restriction to lift.

Bring it home launch it in the driveway, away she goes.....

What can cause height restrictions in the software?
(All my settings are at max height and distance allowable in the programming.)

If it is lack of signal how do people fly in remote areas?

Thanks for your help
Aaron
nothing to do with signal between RC and AC its because of lack of GPS lock because not enough satellites were able to be locked on to by the AC so it would only let you fly at a reduced height that was within range of the downwards positioning sensors

Lack of GPS signal, that is what happens when you are in canyons, especially like the location you were.

How many sats did you get before take off? If you don't hear the nice lady say "Homepoint has been recorded, please check it on the map", you may in for some issues during the flight.

So my next question is how can I bypass that feature. That is cool that it lands its self and it knows where its at, However, There is some really awesome stuff out there to see that does not involve having GPS signal. It would be nice to fly line of sight only and get the video I want.

Aaron

Well, actually, you can. It's called flying in ATTI mode, where you have zero gps lock and the only thing controlling the AC is the IMU, keeping it level ONLY. You will have to deal with the drifting caused by breezes/winds.
The best way is to get a toy type drone to practice with. No gps. This will help you get used to the ATTI mode, and learning about AC orientation and stick inputs. And once you have that under your belt, you are ready IF you do lose your gps signals (which can happen)

Well, actually, you can. It's called flying in ATTI mode, where you have zero gps lock and the only thing controlling the AC is the IMU, keeping it level ONLY. You will have to deal with the drifting caused by breezes/winds.
The best way is to get a toy type drone to practice with. No gps. This will help you get used to the ATTI mode, and learning about AC orientation and stick inputs. And once you have that under your belt, you are ready IF you do lose your gps signals (which can happen)
Awesome, I'm assuming I can throw it in ATTI mode in the options menu? I came from the toy drone world so have been enjoying the spoils just recently of being an adult:) I understand the frustration of dealing with winds:(

Aaron

From the factory, I don't think there is way you can switch from GPS to ATTi mode, like you could with the phantom line.
I have a Mavic Pro Gen I, and there is way to get around that, but it requires doing a process with the firmware ("No Limit Drones" if your are interested, but I would save that part for later on down the road, but, it is up to you.

Start your journey here:
and here:

Awesome, I'm assuming I can throw it in ATTI mode in the options menu? I came from the toy drone world so have been enjoying the spoils just recently of being an adult:) I understand the frustration of dealing with winds:(

Aaron

It's one thing to crash a toy drone, but to crash or lose a MA2 is going to sting more.

Here are some guidelines. You can chose to ignore them but if you do you may want to think twice about posting that "lost my drone/crashed my drone" thread.
  • Do not take off without GPS lock (the satellite icon will turn from red to white) despite if it says "safe to takeoff".
  • Once you have locked enough satellites to take off you will gain more as you fly. You'll start with about 10 and that could easily grow to 17-18. More than likely no matter where you fly (unless it's indoors or in a cave) should you lose satellite signals. If you do you will get a warning but you should be monitoring the satellite lock before you get somewhere dangerous.

You said you wanted to fly somewhere without GPS. Just where would that be?

It's one thing to crash a toy drone, but to crash or lose a MA2 is going to sting more.

Here are some guidelines. You can chose to ignore them but if you do you may want to think twice about posting that "lost my drone/crashed my drone" thread.
  • Do not take off without GPS lock (the satellite icon will turn from red to white) despite if it says "safe to takeoff".
  • Once you have locked enough satellites to take off you will gain more as you fly. You'll start with about 10 and that could easily grow to 17-18. More than likely no matter where you fly (unless it's indoors or in a cave) should you lose satellite signals. If you do you will get a warning but you should be monitoring the satellite lock before you get somewhere dangerous.

You said you wanted to fly somewhere without GPS. Just where would that be?

Refer to Original post for locations. Twice in two remote-ish areas did not have GPS locks. Then after it did pick up Satellites on the first flight it set my home position 50 to 100 feet off of a drop, I'm assuming that is where the satellites must have locked.

Secondly, although yes it is not a toy, it is a toy just one that cost more. Fly it for fun, make some money with it, fly it into the lake and go buy another one, it will be OK. I just want it to be able to everything I want to do, or move into something that can.

Picture below are just from phones not from the Drone. First two are the first spot, pretty open in the side of a mountain. Second is the canyon, but still a pretty open that I thought I would get some locks. Never did.
Aaron

Attachments

• 20200530_131620.jpg
    20200530_131620.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200530_131716.jpg
    20200530_131716.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200531_091418.jpg
    20200531_091418.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
You might try an app like UAV Forecast. It will give you some good information before you fly like how many sats are visible from your take off location and wind conditions.

Reactions: 1bad
You might try an app like UAV Forecast. It will give you some good information before you fly like how many sats are visible from your take off location and wind conditions.
Thanks, Downloading now. I use Air maps for wind and flight restrictions. I wonder if that app will work with no signal? No cell or data in these spots.

One thought might be to not focus so much on launching from where you want to photo. Instead search for nearby open areas or areas overlooking where you want to shoot. Launch with good GPS and once airborne you are likely to have enough sats unless you fly very low into the canyons.

Reactions: 1bad
I wouldn't think being in a remote area would have anything to do with satellites

It’s not that its remote. A wide open desert will have plenty everywhere. But, they are not directly overhead. So anything that masks the natural horizon blocks satellites from reaching you. If you have your back to a canyon wall all the satellites in that direction are unavailable. There are GPS utilities you can download which will show you the elevation and direction of available satellites for a given position and date/time. They allow you to add masks to see what happens next to tall structures or natural features. You could use these to select times when the most will be available for a difficult location. But getting away from vertical surfaces by at least as much as they are tall will open up 45 degrees of sky. Or, instead of launching in a ravine with steep walls on either side, launch from above where less of the sky is masked. These satellites are usable from about 10 degrees above the horizon, At any point in time you will see 12 – 18 or more with a zero degree elevation mask. Bump that up with surrounding hills or buildings nearby and while they are still there, they are not useable.

Regards,

Russell S. Watson

860-910-8259 (iPhone)

Reactions: bigswifty and 1bad
It’s not that its remote. A wide open desert will have plenty everywhere. But, they are not directly overhead. So anything that masks the natural horizon blocks satellites from reaching you. If you have your back to a canyon wall all the satellites in that direction are unavailable. There are GPS utilities you can download which will show you the elevation and direction of available satellites for a given position and date/time. They allow you to add masks to see what happens next to tall structures or natural features. You could use these to select times when the most will be available for a difficult location. But getting away from vertical surfaces by at least as much as they are tall will open up 45 degrees of sky. Or, instead of launching in a ravine with steep walls on either side, launch from above where less of the sky is masked. These satellites are usable from about 10 degrees above the horizon, At any point in time you will see 12 – 18 or more with a zero degree elevation mask. Bump that up with surrounding hills or buildings nearby and while they are still there, they are not useable.

Regards,

Russell S. Watson

860-910-8259 (iPhone)

Thank you very mush for the info. I will definitely try this the next time i have this situation. Your post was awesome and I appreciate you sharing the abundance of info!!

What drone do you have you may be able to have it switch into atti so that won't happen anymore but you need to know how to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143