DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frustrating SmartController firmware update

DirtyHobo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Of course, after watching a few utube videos on this latest firmware allowing the use of SC on a Mavic Air 2, the Wi-Fi update option is out. So, the next option is the PC based DJI assistant which recognized the SC downloaded but failed at around 66% on the transmit [2nd] stage. Multiple restarts, reset to factory, updated Mac OS, reinstallation of Assistant has not resolved the failures. I understand Customer Support is useless too. So, now what?

Addendum:

As a last resort, looking at settings that could possibly preclude a successful firmware update as it seemed as if the SmartController was powering down after a few minutes, I changed the display begin sleep setting to the max setting of 30 min.

Reattempting the install and was successful though I still got an error message at 98% of the update [3rd] stage. The device wasn’t connected to the internet and had to reestablish the WiFi. Logging onto my account seemed to allow the install to finish. Checking the firmware version now indicates V01.00.0820...

But, all this seems unnecessary tasks and stumbling as others seem to have had similar problems but no clear cut solution to avoid error messages. No particular settings nor process seems to guarantee success. Anything I did is no guarantee that someone else won’t have problems..

Last edited:
Reactions: VanP
I mistakenly posted in another thread that I had no problem updating over my wi fi but that wasn't for this big Air 2 one.
I did attempt it & got 99% not enough free space (or something similar)
I don't have an Air 2 so if that's all it updates I will leave it until they sort it out, I don't need the hassle for something I can’t get any benefit from.

I mistakenly posted in another thread that I had no problem updating over my wi fi but that wasn't for this big Air 2 one.
I did attempt it & got 99% not enough free space (or something similar)
I don't have an Air 2 so if that's all it updates I will leave it until they sort it out, I don't need the hassle for something I can’t get any benefit from.

hi cyborg! I went through hell trying to get the update.. finally after hours and factory resetting , loosing all my waypoint flights that I had stored etc. , I was successful...
I don’t have the air2 either but I’m pretty sure that the SC wouldn’t connect to my M2P without updating now that I’m thinking ... let me know if I went through all that trouble for nothing !!!

Hey Cyborg, I got to thinking of the update as well as I have yet to acquire a MA2. Then I remembered the last firmware released for the aircraft and stock controller on M2P/Z. If you remember they adjusted Protocol or Power (?) to match the MA2 range.

So I would think that they now implemented that change within the SC as well as they added support to the MA2. I am just speculating on this but it sure seems that is the case as MA2 users report no loss of range using SC.

It was with that I updated on release (One of the lucky ones, no issues using Asst.2) So as far as Benefit I am again guessing here, but I think that is a good reason...range increase ;)

I did manage to get out today for a test flight, no discernible issues.
Lovely blue sky with fluffy white clouds, perfect for photography but also a relay strong wind.
Didn't get to fly for long because of the wind, intended to test out tripod & sports mode but the conditions got the better of me.
Knowing my luck tomorrow will be nice and calm but poring with rain.

It was a pain for sure.
I think th 99% was the DJI servers as I did the factory reset before.
Just be patient. It grind and the reboot several times.

There’s a guide to installing the latest SC FW on the DJI forum - very specifically states “don’t connect to WiFi”

I did link up both my MA2 and M2P in the house when I finally successfully uploaded the update. But then out in the field, it also wanted me to pair each bird again and I had to sign in to my account again. I was at beach, so I had to use my phone as a personal hotspot. The drones show on the controller but switching them required going online. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope we don't have to find WiFi somewhere every time we want to switch drones now.

I hope we don't have to find WiFi somewhere every time we want to switch drones now.

Hopefully that's not the case.

If it is, it totally sucks after spending so much money on a device that is "smart".

That's why I never purchased the expensive stuff (DJI or Epson BT 300 goggles, Crystal Sky monitors, etc).

They cost as much if not more than the drone itself when it's all added up. Good for commercial use but expensive for the hobbyist.

It seems the software is limited on the devices, looses support, or is not compatible across the fleet of products one might have already invested in.

This may help those that have 2 drones

• Love
Reactions: TheRock and MA2 317
This may help those that have 2 drones
This is exactly what I needed to see. I was going to the app first and then selecting the aircraft and I was always asked to sign in to my account via WiFi. This is what I needed to see to do it within the new update. I too have a MA2 and M2P. Incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Forums are great. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929