DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ft Lauderdale area

Shivers

Reactions
Hey All I am traveling to Fort Lauderdale in the next couple of weeks, and I’m wondering if anybody has been able to get LaANC working on or around the beaches. Suggestions. Thanks

I'm not an expert on how automated LAANC approves or denies, my guess is it depends on wind direction and which beach you're on (Johnson State Park being right under FLL approach), plus a number or other factors. West wind, common in the early morning, results in low flying passenger aircraft heading west to land in FLL which will likely impact the approval process. If it's an east wind they're a non issue, they approach over the glades. Tons of low flying VFR aircaft as low as 1000' and occasionally helicopters that fly at whatever altitude they want, usually the lowest I've seen is 500', following the beaches all day. That's still not your biggest worry, the 2-3 parasail operations that routinely move about up and down the beach all throughout the day will really keep you on your toes, those lines look like they go up 250-500'; right in your operating range. My advice, fly at sunrise north or south of Port Everglades and maintain tight VLOSS. The area you're looking to fly is a ZOO of flying objects. You'll get a couple hours of peace before it ramps up into chaos, you'll see what I mean. Good luck and post back your results.

Screenshot_20200227-090756_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200227-090934_AirMap.jpgScreenshot_20200227-092105_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

PS. The approach plate above is FYSA. Commercial jet aircaft flying west from the ocean begin a decent from FAF SNAPE at 2000'. Which means as they descend, depending on the pilots, you could see varying degrees of altitude when they fly over you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bekanne
Unless Trump is in town.
Most weekends here in the winter feature massive TFRs.
And you can’t get around that.

I am in Fort Lauderdale. The beach area near Oakland park Blvd. North and south are a good place to fly. Maybe limited to 300 ft but that about all unless Trump is in town.

7B0E212F-AF18-4142-82B0-77C9E8E7EE2D.png
This might help. The large blue circle to the north is Palm Beach Intl Airport with an expanded restriction due to presidential activity at the time it was taken. It doesn’t normally encompass Lauderdale by the Sea.

You all rock. So for giggle factor, I planed a flight to see if I would get clearance, at Hollywood beach. i was approved. So, I’m gonna take my drone with.
I’ll be down Wed.. leaving next Tuesday.

Any site seeing suggestions are welcome. Thank you all that posted

75F29810-E74A-48CA-90ED-B529CE477762.png

Was looking to fly around the outskirts to Port Everglades - but it seems that as a recreational flyer that is not possible. Seems that one can't request permission above 0 feet.

Am I reading the aloft correctly?

Was looking to fly around the outskirts to Port Everglades - but it seems that as a recreational flyer that is not possible. Seems that one can't request permission above 0 feet.

Am I reading the aloft correctly?
Welcome from South Central Florida and enjoy.

Yes you read it right. Major airport close by.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa