DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Furthest you have travelled to NOT fly your drone...

Iceland...was there the summer 2018 the rainiest summer in over 100 years. Only able to take my Mavic up a couple times over the course of 3 and a half weeks. Rain and then a gimbal failure. 4,300 miles from LA.

1860 miles to be scuppered by wind over 10 days!

GO!

Not quite that far for me; Baku to Istanbul as part of a larger trip, which is 1,763 km according to Google, although I hadn't really intended to fly in Turkey anyway as it was more a layover on the way home. A few shots of the city taken from over the Golden Horn/Bosphorus might have been nice to get though.

Other than a few <100km daytrips, I don't think I've ever made a multi-day trip and not got the drone out of the bag at all - there's always been at least one or two days when I've flown (albeit sometimes with the wind alarm going nuts). I also shoot with DSLRs though, so if the weather's too bad to fly on a given day then I'll often end up with some dramatic DSLR shots which usually helps make up for the lack of flight time.

Iceland...was there the summer 2018 the rainiest summer in over 100 years. Only able to take my Mavic up a couple times over the course of 3 and a half weeks. Rain and then a gimbal failure. 4,300 miles from LA.

Frig me! That's a killer. I almost sent mine up (Lanzarote) but as soon as you got above the roof-tops it was a gale! At least you got yours up a little.

Frig me! That's a killer. I almost sent mine up (Lanzarote) but as soon as you got above the roof-tops it was a gale! At least you got yours up a little.

Yeah, I think Iceland has probably claimed more cameras than any country has a right to, plus a fair number of tourists. I wrote off a Canon 1-series DSLR there a few years back when a freak wave and murderous undertow got me - I was well above the visible tideline when I got caught, and while the surf only came just above me knees it was still a struggle to keep my feet and the camera got a dunking in the process. Luckily I had a spare and there were no quibbles from my insurer, so no harm other than dented pride, fortunately.

Nature can be pretty unforgiving place at times... Keep safe out there!

Reactions: GiT Airways
cant match any of those distances, myself and a fellow flyer friend decided to have a day flying a couple of months ago ,we waited for the day to dawn left the house at 7am intending to have a full days flying we both have 5 batts each for our MPPs,went about 45 miles and stopped at a mcdonalds for breakfast ,we were heading to the coast to fly and had about another 40 odd miles to go to our chosen destination ,by now its about 10am and we are almost at our destination on the coast, when we get there and exit the car we are met by a absolute gale ,way to windy to fly, anyway after spending the rest of the day trying to get airborne, and having travelled over two hundred miles ,we eventually arrived home at around 8-30 pm just as it was starting to get dark, but in spite of never getting our mavs out of their cases ,we had a great day out and laugh about it even now ,when we get the chance to fly together

Reactions: Clipper707
Myanmar (Burma) in 2015. Curse the rain gods!

From the US, I contacted the Myanmar government, sent them links to my Youtube videos from the previous year when I'd illegally brought my Phantom 2 Vision + in and told them I wanted to do it again, legally.

The Director of the Ministry of Tourism (MoT) responded and she was supportive. I'd have to hire a government guide and pay his expenses. The documentation required approvals from 4 government ministries and the Customs Bureau.

There was a paperwork error, resulting in the Customs Bureau holding my Phantom for about a day while it was sorted out. While I was in the Customs office getting a receipt for my equipment, I noticed a stack of confiscated drones in the corner of the office. My minder, an Assistant Director with the Ministry of Tourism told me there's a warehouse offsite full of confiscated drones.

It was raining the next day when he brought my Phantom to me at my hotel and we planned our trip to the southern city of Mawlamyine. The day after that, there was no letup in the rain.

We were on the road 3 hours out of Yangon, and the rain wasn't letting up. The forecast didn't say anything good and I aborted the trip. I gave some cash to the driver and the MoT minder. We're still friends today and we get together whenever I visit Myanmar, but I still haven't flown the reclining Buddha at Mawlamyine.

I ate my return ticket cost, bought a new ticket, and flew the Cai Rang and Phong Dien floating markets at Can Tho, Vietnam instead.

I'm off to Yangon on Thursday and hope to get the paperwork done for a visit in March next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Yeah, I think Iceland has probably claimed more cameras than any country has a right to, plus a fair number of tourists. I wrote off a Canon 1-series DSLR there a few years back when a freak wave and murderous undertow got me - I was well above the visible tideline when I got caught, and while the surf only came just above me knees it was still a struggle to keep my feet and the camera got a dunking in the process. Luckily I had a spare and there were no quibbles from my insurer, so no harm other than dented pride, fortunately.

Nature can be pretty unforgiving place at times... Keep safe out there!

Lived in Iceland at the former NATO base last two years of high school and have returned three times.
Last trip was up in the Westfords...whole less number of tourists. Tourist just don’t understand how easy it is to get hurt. Your situation is very common. Had a HS friend almost washed out to sea because of a wave. Two Chinese tourist run over and killed in 2018 on N1 close to Vik standing in the middle of the road when dark looking for the Northern Lights. I will bring my Mavic Pro as back up to my Mavic Pro 2 Zoom next time.

Lived in Iceland at the former NATO base last two years of high school and have returned three times.
Last trip was up in the Westfords...whole less number of tourists. Tourist just don’t understand how easy it is to get hurt. Your situation is very common. Had a HS friend almost washed out to sea because of a wave. Two Chinese tourist run over and killed in 2018 on N1 close to Vik standing in the middle of the road when dark looking for the Northern Lights. I will bring my Mavic Pro as back up to my Mavic Pro 2 Zoom next time.

Annoyingly, I was well aware of how risky Jokulsarlon beach can be when you're near the tideline - both from previous visits and the fact that some tourists had been swept out sea and drowned there just a few weeks prior, and I'm pretty au fait with nature's quirks in harzardous locations of many stripes to boot. I just got a little too complacent because I was maybe 30ft back from where the the high waterline was on the sand and the tide was supposedly going out, but yeah; North Atlantic - you're going to get the occasional freak outlier.

On the upside, it was very early in the morning and there were a few hardcore photographers there (several of which also got dunked to various degrees). If there had been a few coachloads of less savvy tourists around there would almost certainly have been a few much closer to the water, probably some with their backs to the ocean as well, and it could have been a whole lot worse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett