DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fusion5 10.6in tablet

Tekgodcms

Reactions
In researching tablets with HDMI out capabilities, I came across this tablet. It seems to have as close to the specs of the Nvidia Shield K1, and it's actually available. Any thoughts or experience in using this tablet to gain FPV capability without the DJI Goggles?

10.6" Fusion5 108 Octa Core Android Tablet PC - 2GB RAM - 16GB Storage - Android 6.0 Marshmallow - Bluetooth 4.0 - 1366*768 IPS Screen - 7200mAh battery - 2MP front and 5MP rear camera, AutoFocus - Supports OTA Updates - Android tablets

Yeah, and the smallest one is $469 for 5.5in.. Nice try, DJI, but I think I'll stick with 10.6in for $140.. If I wanted to spend $500, I'd just buy the Goggles.

Thanks for playing, we have no parting gifts for you. :)

I'm not DJI. If I was, I would have fired the entire CS department and replaced it with actual competent people.

I'm not DJI. If I was, I would have fired the entire CS department and replaced it with actual competent people.

I wasn't intending to imply you were DJI. Lol. I had never heard of the CrystalSky, and was responding to the company's marketing.. Seemed like it boiled down to 'Here's our tablet, it doesn't do anything but drone stuff and it's gonna cost you plenty'.. I don't see anything that the Fusion5 can't do that the Shield K1 could, which seems to be the Unicorn everyone is searching for, and it's literally twice the display area of the Crystalsky for a 1/3 of the cost. Trust me, your status as a Well Known member causes me to infer you have enough knowledge in this area for a little respect.. :)
\

I wasn't intending to imply you were DJI. Lol. I had never heard of the CrystalSky, and was responding to the company's marketing.. Seemed like it boiled down to 'Here's our tablet, it doesn't do anything but drone stuff and it's gonna cost you plenty'.. I don't see anything that the Fusion5 can't do that the Shield K1 could, which seems to be the Unicorn everyone is searching for, and it's literally twice the display area of the Crystalsky for a 1/3 of the cost. Trust me, your status as a Well Known member causes me to infer you have enough knowledge in this area for a little respect.. :)
\
True, but the costliness is mostly because of the design to handle extreme temps and are 2-8 times brighter than any other device on the market.

10.6 is too big to carry around IMO, plus 1366x768 screen of that size will look crud.
Don't expect it to be bright or well visible outside either, it's probably a crappy bottom of the pack panel.

In researching tablets with HDMI out capabilities, I came across this tablet. It seems to have as close to the specs of the Nvidia Shield K1, and it's actually available. Any thoughts or experience in using this tablet to gain FPV capability without the DJI Goggles?

10.6" Fusion5 108 Octa Core Android Tablet PC - 2GB RAM - 16GB Storage - Android 6.0 Marshmallow - Bluetooth 4.0 - 1366*768 IPS Screen - 7200mAh battery - 2MP front and 5MP rear camera, AutoFocus - Supports OTA Updates - Android tablets
That is a very attractive price, but "you get what you pay for". Also, it's well documented that the DJI App and Android don't interact well on certain devices.

Amazon.com : Fusion5 10.6" Android Tablet PC - 2GB RAM, Full HD, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, 5MP and 2MP Cameras, 16GB Storage, Bluetooth, 108 Octa core Tablet PC (Full HD) : Computers & Accessories

So here is the tablet I bought off of Amazon. It says native resolution is 1920x1080, versus what my previous link stated.
I'm not sure what extreme temps I need to look out for.. If it's too hot or cold for my tablet, I'm sure I'll want to be away from those temps as well.. Anyone wants to fly over a volcano, be my guest.

It doesn't appear to have a cellular option, but I'm not concerned with that.

Bottom line folks, I'm attempting to achieve a viable FPV option for my Mavic consisting of components I can use for a few different purposes. I DO NOT want to purchase a proprietary device that is pigeonholed into one use or one device brand. The tablet is simply an HDMI port to a set of goggles. The specs are similar to a tablet already hailed for it's use in this purpose. If anyone has any experience with this tablet, Fusion5, I would like to hear of it. If you want me to purchase the easy, costly, and inflexible solution, I appreciate your thought, but no thanks.

After I gather all the pieces, I will report on my findings.. Happy Flying!

Well, I have to report the Fusion5 a failure. While it ran beautifully and the HDMI out was without lag, the image lag with both DJI Go 4 and Litchi was just as bad as my LG tablet. So, back to Amazon it goes. I think I'm done attempting to get an FPV experience out of the Mavic. I'd like to have a little more fun with my FPV than I think it's capable of, and I'm a fierce advocate against proprietary hardware restrictions. So, it's off to get an Inductrix and an Eachine while my Mavic remains my HD imaging goto.. If anyone has any questions about my brief experience with this tablet, shoot.

Well, I have to report the Fusion5 a failure. While it ran beautifully and the HDMI out was without lag, the image lag with both DJI Go 4 and Litchi was just as bad as my LG tablet. So, back to Amazon it goes. I think I'm done attempting to get an FPV experience out of the Mavic. I'd like to have a little more fun with my FPV than I think it's capable of, and I'm a fierce advocate against proprietary hardware restrictions. So, it's off to get an Inductrix and an Eachine while my Mavic remains my HD imaging goto.. If anyone has any questions about my brief experience with this tablet, shoot.
A bit late to the party but I'm going down the same route with my Mini 3 Pro. I bought an Acer Iconia with HDMI out and it streams to the googles nicely. It only installs one version of DJI Fly though - 1.6.9. That connects up to everything nicely except the video view is always black - I just get the overlay :-(
So far, thwarted at every turn!
Can I ask what your lag was like? I'm less into fast action FPV for this drone, more the flying around like a bird experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7