DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galaxy S10 Screen Brightness

Xooterpust

Reactions
I have a Galaxy S10, which was a fairly high-end phone two or three years ago. I use it with a Mavic Air 2. However, the screen doesn’t get bright enough to fly the drone on a sunny or nearly sunny day. I can barely see the images on my screen, even when screen brightness is turned to max. Any suggestions for how to compensate for the problem or recommendations for a phone whose display is bright enough under sunny conditions? iPhone, maybe?

I have the same phone, and have the same experience. Flying in the shade is fine, not so much direct sun.

I have purchased a (fairly cheap; Skyreat) hood that attaches to the antenna portion of the controller, and it improves things to the point it is usable. I also have to take off my (polarized) sunglasses for best viewing.

Given the S10 and Fly seem to be relatively 'happy' with each other, and this is only a $20 fix, so I'm going with it for now.

Reactions: tlswift58
I have purchased a (fairly cheap; Skyreat) hood
I'll see if I can find one. Amazon, maybe?
Please note there is a difference between a hood (4 sided) and a 'sun shield' (3 sided).

IMO, from experience, a 3-sided sun shield is next to useless. A hood that you can stick yer face into is much better... I made one from cardboard, or you can buy a Hoodman or similar.

I have a Galaxy S10, which was a fairly high-end phone two or three years ago. I use it with a Mavic Air 2. However, the screen doesn’t get bright enough to fly the drone on a sunny or nearly sunny day. I can barely see the images on my screen, even when screen brightness is turned to max. Any suggestions for how to compensate for the problem or recommendations for a phone whose display is bright enough under sunny conditions? iPhone, maybe?
There's nothing that can beat the Smart Controller for use in bright sunlight. Also, I get into air within a minute. No fussing with cables, sun hoods etc. Yes expensive but worth it.

Mobile phones/iPads will hardly do the job in bright sunlight. I highly recommend the Tripltek Tablet! It is a little on the heavy side, but the screen (1200 nits) can be easily seen

Go with a hood to start. If not ideal, then look at tablets. When comparing - you need to look at NITS - or brightness. Yes, the Triptek does have high NITS, but a corresponding high price tag. If you fly a lot or commercial - then it makes sense to go that route.

If not, then other tablets can work - you just have a bigger screen, but usually same problem in bright sun. Easiest / cheapest way is to find shade - any shade around your flight area. I also get underneath my 4Runner back hatch - opened - and it provides some good cover and I can watch the drone as well.

Yet standing out in bright sun is not going to be great for 99% of phones / tablets. While the SC is a good choice - too small a screen for me - IMHO. That's why I moved up to a tablet versus a phone.

I highly recommend the Tripltek Tablet! It is a little on the heavy side, but the screen (1200 nits) can be easily seen
Whenever the subject of 'bright tablets' in direct sunlight comes up, I see plenty of people recommending the Tripltek, and others chime in commenting on the (high) price.

Is there something wrong with the much more reasonably priced?:

I don't know ATM, and honestly don't have the time nor inclination to do research on the difference between the two... any and all comments appreciated. TIA

Whenever the subject of 'bright tablets' in direct sunlight comes up, I see plenty of people recommending the Tripltek, and others chime in commenting on the (high) price.

I don't know ATM, and honestly don't have the time nor inclination to do research on the difference between the two... any and all comments appreciated. TIA
This appears to be a monitor only. You need something with a touchscreen and ability to run the FLY or GO app.

Reactions: umanbean
I use

That would be nice if it were more than a field monitor requiring HDMI. Some mention the cost of the Tripltek Tablet being high, but it is less expensive than DJI's Smart Controller AND brighter. I do a lot of commercial work and very often in bright sunlight. I need to be able to see the screen on the tablet and I have found that the Triplteck works for me. I have been using DJI's Crystalsky with the drones I have that are compatible, but the Mavic Air 2s / Fly app can not be used with the Crystalsky but the Triplteck can be used with them all.

When I see someone complain about not being able to see the screen of their smartphone or tablet, I share what has worked for me.

I am NOT a Tripltek employee or paid to share. I simply share what has worked for me

Reactions: Gary R and umanbean

Lower NITS or brightness. Few tablets have anywhere close to 1200 NITS like the TripTek. My Lenovo M10 FHD has maybe 300-400 NITS, so that's the comparison. Yet, my Lenovo is also 1/3rd the price of the TripTek as well.

For those with the $$$$ or doing commercial work - the TripTek is a no brainer.

Those on a budget, well the lower priced tablets do work, but better with a hood, no direct bright sun shining on it (like a phone as well), or finding a shady spot to stand in. I don't have a hood for my Lenovo, but do find some type of shade - whether a tree, my car hatch, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929