DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Garrison Church Old Portsmouth

dear @Irvine i know you are going to think i am a grumpy old man ,when i make the following comments, but i must advise you that your video was not done under the drone code recommendations of distance from people or property, and does not paint a very good picture for us fellow flyers, i say this not because i am the drone police, but to save you from litigation in the future.

dear @Irvine i know you are going to think i am a grumpy old man ,when i make the following comments, but i must advise you that your video was not done under the drone code recommendations of distance from people or property, and does not paint a very good picture for us fellow flyers, i say this not because i am the drone police, but to save you from litigation in the future.
Once again I apologise I really thought the church was a reasonable distance from the drone. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. So I should be 150 feet from buildings and people. In future I will abide by the rules and keep distances by the rules . Regards Irvine

Reactions: old man mavic
Once again I apologise I really thought the church was a reasonable distance from the drone. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. So I should be 150 feet from buildings and people. In future I will abide by the rules and keep distances by the rules . Regards Irvine
A man of your experience if I do a point of interested I have to be 150 feet from it. Thank you

thank,you for your understanding the problem is that jo public and the media will seize on any chance they get to villiefy,drone fliers, and i understand you are really keen to get some good shots, it was not the subject you were videoing just where you were doing it from yours OMM

Irvine are you aware of the 2x digital zoom feature on the MPP it works from the small button joystick on the controller and you set it up in the app it is good to get you a little bit closer to your subject without the need to be to close give it a go

A man of your experience if I do a point of interested I have to be 150 feet from it. Thank you
you can be a 150 ft high and fly round an object the real issue arises when to do so would have you flying over a large gathering of people

thank,you for your understanding the problem is that jo public and the media will seize on any chance they get to villiefy,drone fliers, and i understand you are really keen to get some good shots, it was not the subject you were videoing just where you were doing it from yours OMM

Irvine are you aware of the 2x digital zoom feature on the MPP it works from the small button joystick on the controller and you set it up in the app it is good to get you a little bit closer to your subject without the need to be to close give it a go
That's great I've never used the soom on my MP sorry for my ignorance but what's OMM smiles

That's great I've never used the soom on my MP sorry for my ignorance but what's OMM smiles
i smiled too,there should have been a comma before yours OMM thats my forum name old man mavic but my real name is Tony

Regarding the video.
Not a bad effort, but keep practicing, cinematic video and editing takes a long time to get yourself to a decent level with it.
This video could easily be edited down to a couple of minutes and hold peoples attention better.

Yeah, UK 50m rule is pretty harsh, but I can understand with population density of some areas.

Here in Australia it's 30m from people (hobbyists) and this is LATERALLY, not just to the side and away vertically.

We have no rule as such for over buildings (except "you must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person or property."), so if careful we can get some good footage of such places.
Just need a sharp eye (or spotter) so you can see if people do come into frame . . . it is a lot harder to see people on your device screen when concentrating on flying / framing shots, but easily see them in later editing and playback on a larger screen.

Regarding the video.
Not a bad effort, but keep practicing, cinematic video and editing takes a long time to get yourself to a decent level with it.
This video could easily be edited down to a couple of minutes and hold peoples attention better.

Yeah, UK 50m rule is pretty harsh, but I can understand with population density of some areas.

Here in Australia it's 30m from people (hobbyists) and this is LATERALLY, not just to the side and away vertically.

We have no rule as such for over buildings (except "you must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person or property."), so if careful we can get some good footage of such places.
Just need a sharp eye (or spotter) so you can see if people do come into frame . . . it is a lot harder to see people on your device screen when concentrating on flying / framing shots, but easily see them in later editing and playback on a larger screen.
Thank you for your comments can you recommend free video editing software I am a complete novice in this matter so I would need one with a lot of instructions. Regards Irvine

You win the prize however by resisting putting music over it. IMHO of course.

Nice video. Agree with OMM’s comments - have a quick read of the code. There’s not much to it and can be memorised after a few minutes reading.

Does everyone fly to the absolute letter of it? Couldn’t comment but it gives a good starting place to decide what ‘safe’ flying :).

Nice video. Agree with OMM’s comments - have a quick read of the code. There’s not much to it and can be memorised after a few minutes reading.

Does everyone fly to the absolute letter of it? Couldn’t comment but it gives a good starting place to decide what ‘safe’ flying :).
my main concern was the height and proximity to the road and public during the video

Reactions: dannybgoode
Thank you for your comments can you recommend free video editing software I am a complete novice in this matter so I would need one with a lot of instructions. Regards Irvine

Depends on your device type.
I have ipad (mini4) and still use iMovie to segment, transitions, speed up or slow down, add text.
Then I add some of the stock music in the DJI Go4 editor.

I think you can do it all in the standard Go4 editor, it's in you main screen when starting the app.

LumaFusion is a low cost editor that is very good, can handle 4k too, although I shoot 1080 for now as it's good enough for most needs.
There are many others, and a quick search of the forums here will reveal many threads and recommendations.

There are decent desktop editors too.
I use a PC and recently downloaded a free version of OpenShot, yet to even open it . . . so you could find one like that and then download your microSD card files to a folder on your desktop computer and edit away.

As far as instructions go, YouTube is the answer !!
Search there for whatever editor you would like to see, add tutorial in the search, and you can see the basics of using the various apps etc.

Enjoy the new learning experiences, there's a lot to know.

Depends on your device type.
I have ipad (mini4) and still use iMovie to segment, transitions, speed up or slow down, add text.
Then I add some of the stock music in the DJI Go4 editor.

I think you can do it all in the standard Go4 editor, it's in you main screen when starting the app.

LumaFusion is a low cost editor that is very good, can handle 4k too, although I shoot 1080 for now as it's good enough for most needs.
There are many others, and a quick search of the forums here will reveal many threads and recommendations.

There are decent desktop editors too.
I use a PC and recently downloaded a free version of OpenShot, yet to even open it . . . so you could find one like that and then download your microSD card files to a folder on your desktop computer and edit away.

As far as instructions go, YouTube is the answer !!
Search there for whatever editor you would like to see, add tutorial in the search, and you can see the basics of using the various apps etc.

Enjoy the new learning experiences, there's a lot to know.
Thank you again I use a mini ipad2 I do find the go4 app useful. I also a windows pc I will try that Openshot and let you know how I get on wish me luck.

Regards Irvine

Thank you again I use a mini ipad2 I do find the go4 app useful. I also a windows pc I will try that Openshot and let you know how I get on wish me luck.

Regards Irvine

Have a go on apples iMovie (possibly already on your ipad, or free download) and / or the Go4 editor, both are easy to learn, especially iMovie.

Your video looks like my first videos, slow and uncertain. I would stop, look for drone, move it, stop, adjust various stuff, fly a little, stop, adjust, look for drone, etc etc. You will get used to just following the drone via the video feedback and you will do a much smoother and fluid flyover. As for being too close to church, that's minor. The only danger (with no one inside the building), is to your drone, and sensors would stop it from hitting the building. A simple observance of nearby people is sufficient for when/where to fly. I have no patience for these people who complain about drones overhead, especially these very small and 'quiet' UAVs. They are far less intrusive than a lot of other stuff out there - like noisy motorcycles and barking dogs etc etc. A respectful use of a drone after practicing careful flights is no problem. But i see a near-future scenario where regulations will kill off recreational drones in public areas. it only takes a reckless drone pilot showing off to spoil it for the good pilots.,that's always the way. Good luck.

Have a go on apples iMovie (possibly already on your ipad, or free download) and / or the Go4 editor, both are easy to learn, especially iMovie.
OK I have downloaded the Openshaw as you suggested. Will try that I movie as well. Thanks again Irvine

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54