DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geo Zone self-unlock question

Rick0504N

Reactions
I recently flew at a local flying field for the first time and was prompted to unlock prior to taking off (first time I’ve ever had to do that). Not a big deal, but is it permanently recorded —or will I have to unlock every time I fly there?

I've not hit that kind of situation before, but did go through an on-line process on the DJI website the other day, and that left the Zone unlocked and off my DJI Go 4 for 3 days.

Went back week later. I just had to check off three boxes on one pop up screen and I was good to go. Did not have to receive a code via text and then enter it on another screen this time.

Dji states that the unlocking last for either 24 Hours or 3 days depending on what type of unlock one does.

"
There are two ways to unlock Authorization Zones (blue):
1. Live Self-Unlocking
When connected to the Internet, DJI GO and DJI GO 4 allow you to unlock Authorization Zones on-site when you take off inside of or fly into one. Unlocking lasts for 24 hours and requires just a few taps on the screen.

Confirm authorization to flyVerify with phone/credit card numberReady to fly
2. Scheduled Self-Unlocking
Users planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without an Internet connection can use the Online Flight Planner to schedule up to 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each unlocked zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card, or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service, and verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.
When your request is approved, go to the Camera View, select General Settings, and select Unlocking List in the DJI GO or DJI GO 4 app to confirm your flight license has been downloaded. Afterwards, you can fly in the Authorization Zone without a network connection."

Source : DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

So I went to the DJI website, logged into my account, went to the set-unlocking link, and unlocked the zone (confirmed through phone number) I wanted to fly in. I hopped in my car, Mavic 2 Pro happily riding in the back seat, and drove the half-hour to the area where I wanted to fly. I did all the pre-flight preparation, but when I wanted to fly it said I was in a No Fly Zone!

My iPad is cellular-ready, but I don't have it set up on my Verizon account. So I wasn't able to unlock via the app (hence, the reason for using the website unlocking option).

What did I do wrong? Do I have to use the GoPro 4 app (using WiFi) on the iPad to unlock the zone and not a computer?

So I went to the DJI website, logged into my account, went to the set-unlocking link, and unlocked the zone (confirmed through phone number) I wanted to fly in. I hopped in my car, Mavic 2 Pro happily riding in the back seat, and drove the half-hour to the area where I wanted to fly. I did all the pre-flight preparation, but when I wanted to fly it said I was in a No Fly Zone!

My iPad is cellular-ready, but I don't have it set up on my Verizon account. So I wasn't able to unlock via the app (hence, the reason for using the website unlocking option).

What did I do wrong? Do I have to use the GoPro 4 app (using WiFi) on the iPad to unlock the zone and not a computer?
Did you download the unlocking code to your Go 4 ??? as per this video from DJI:

Did you download the unlocking code to your Go 4 ??
Thanks for the video. No, I did not do that. There's my problem. But the video doesn't say how to download the authorization from the DJI website on my computer to the app.

Thanks for the video. No, I did not do that. There's my problem. But the video doesn't say how to download the authorization from the DJI website on my computer to the app.

You just need to open the app while connected to the internet on that device. It will then download the unlocking authorizations that you have been approved for. There is a section in the DJI Go 4 settings where you can view the authorizations.

You just need to open the app while connected to the internet on that device. It will then download the unlocking authorizations that you have been approved for. There is a section in the DJI Go 4 settings where you can view the authorizations.
Thanks! Is there a DJI tutorial that shows what to do within the Go 4 app once the authorization/s have been made online via the DJI website? I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, but I would think DJI would have a tutorial to walk the owner step-by-step through the final step.

Thanks! Is there a DJI tutorial that shows what to do within the Go 4 app once the authorization/s have been made online via the DJI website? I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, but I would think DJI would have a tutorial to walk the owner step-by-step through the final step.

I don't have a tutorial, but maybe this will help:

Open DJI Go 4, click the "Me" button on the bottom right. Then click the "More" menu option at the bottom of the list. Finally you will see "Geo Zone Unlocking Applications". Inside that menu you should see a list of the geo zones that you have been approved for. Later, when you connect to your drone, these authorizations are transmitted to your drone so that the zones are unlocked.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I'm about ready to fly to China and shove my Mavic 2 Pro up a DJI executive's a$$! This "Geo Fencing" is Bull S..t!

I have driven three times to the exact same place to fly the drone. The first time I got the DFZ notification. I went home, researched the issue, and learned of DJI's Geo Fencing restrictions. Okay, so that's on me.

Since I don't have cellular on my iPad, I learned I needed to go online and self-unlock, which I did. Drove out to the same area, set everything up, and got the DFZ restriction again. Later I found out from the posts above that I didn't download the authorization to the iPad. Okay, so that's on me again.

Last night I went online and did another self-unlock for the same zone, hooked the iPad to the controller, started up the Mavic, and went to the authorization section of the Go4 app and saw the authorization. So the next day I jump in my car, drive out to the same location, so all the prep, and, guess what? yes, I got the DFZ restriction again. I double checked to see if the authorization was both in the "Me" section and in the "Authorization" section in the setting section of the drone. The authorizations with the correct dates were in both sections.

What the F... am I doing wrong?

Wow...
Am I an idiot.
I figured out the problem. Yes, I correctly and properly unlocked the NFZ for the area I wanted to fly. But I didn't notice there was an overlapping NFZ from another private, seldom used, airport. Once I unlocked that NFZ along with the original NFZ, I was able to fly.

Moral of the story: Don't zoom in so far on the DJI self-unlocking map that you don't see all the NFZ areas. When I clicked on the airport pin corresponding with the blue NFZ color, there was another blue NFZ zone also overlapping that area. Since the overlapping area remained the same shade of blue, I only saw the one airport. I definitely need to pay closer attention!

Wow...
Am I an idiot.
I figured out the problem. Yes, I correctly and properly unlocked the NFZ for the area I wanted to fly. But I didn't notice there was an overlapping NFZ from another private, seldom used, airport. Once I unlocked that NFZ along with the original NFZ, I was able to fly.

Moral of the story: Don't zoom in so far on the DJI self-unlocking map that you don't see all the NFZ areas. When I clicked on the airport pin corresponding with the blue NFZ color, there was another blue NFZ zone also overlapping that area. Since the overlapping area remained the same shade of blue, I only saw the one airport. I definitely need to pay closer attention!
Thanks for letting us know that - as it was a bit of a mystery ... A good lesson for all. Fly safe & have fun ...
[There will be a DJI Executive who is now breathing a sigh of relief ... :p ]

Hi,
This might be a silly Question, but I can't find the site/scheme to unlock the geo zones as shown in the video posted above. I only get to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography which asks for documentation in which should not be neccessary to unlock the area I want to fly (blue/yellow/gray). I can unlock the zone through the app in the field, but are going to do some work in the area over several days..

Hi,
This might be a silly Question, but I can't find the site/scheme to unlock the geo zones as shown in the video posted above. I only get to DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography which asks for documentation in which should not be neccessary to unlock the area I want to fly (blue/yellow/gray). I can unlock the zone through the app in the field, but are going to do some work in the area over several days..

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Guess I need to contact DJI; when clicking the link you provided I see a flash of the site I guess I'm interested in, but then it changes to another one (see below) which requires documentation..
View attachment 65223
Looks like it's an issue with being in Malta and not offering the "Self unlock" option. I had the same issue after changing my country to that. It works fine for me when selecting the United States.

Reactions: Dimde03
Have you created on online DJI account?
Yes, I have. Seems like dawgpilot is right! When choosing the UK for instance I get the option of self unlocking, but most other European countries do not give that option.. Will have to unlock in the field for every day.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun