DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Georgia man accused of shooting, damaging workers' $15K drone

Kupe

Reactions
From our local newspaper:

A Newnan man was arrested after police said he fired shots and damaged a crew’s $15,000 drone while they were using it to photograph their work Friday.

Coweta County sheriff’s deputies said they were dispatched about 12:10 p.m. to the 60 block of Fuller Gordon Road, where two employees for Georgia Transmission said they were working on towers and power lines when 35-year-old Edward Neil Pope shot at the drone they were using.

According to a police report, the employees told Pope beforehand they would be working in the area, which he said he understood.

While flying the drone, one of the workers said he heard three shots. When the drone landed, they saw two gunshots had destroyed the device’s $600 battery. The landing gear was also shot at least once, the police report indicated. They told deputies they were unsure whether only the landing gear would need to be replaced or the entire drone, which they said is worth $15,000.

When one of the employees returned to his vehicle, he heard another gunshot and pellets hitting a nearby tree and the top of his truck, authorities said. The workers confronted Pope, who denied shooting the drone, the police report stated. The employees then called police when they saw a long shotgun in one of the cars in Pope’s yard, authorities said.

Deputies said when they failed to contact Pope, they spoke to his neighbors who told them they’ve had issues with the man harassing family members and also placing spike strips in the street.

Around 5 p.m., deputies said they made contact with Pope, who denied shooting the drone although authorities said there were two eyewitnesses, the police report said.

Pope was eventually arrested after a brief struggle and sent to the Coweta County jail, authorities said. He was charged with reckless conduct and criminal damage to property in the second degree.

...When the drone landed, they saw two gunshots had destroyed the device’s $600 battery.

Some drone that can land with a ‘destroyed battery’. Unless it was a dual battery aircraft of course.

Reactions: Otisangb
Some drone that can land with a ‘destroyed battery’. Unless it was a dual battery aircraft of course.

$15,000 drones do typically have multiple batteries.

That’s wild. What $15k drones are there on the market? Two batteries? That sounds awesome.
You can probably build a Matrice up to that... Just hang a $5k FF Mirrorless Camera underneath. Not sure about the dual battery redundancy though.

Outside of DJI... I've seen drones with insane zooms... That cost over $200k

From our local newspaper:

A Newnan man was arrested after police said he fired shots and damaged a crew’s $15,000 drone while they were using it to photograph their work Friday.

Coweta County sheriff’s deputies said they were dispatched about 12:10 p.m. to the 60 block of Fuller Gordon Road, where two employees for Georgia Transmission said they were working on towers and power lines when 35-year-old Edward Neil Pope shot at the drone they were using.

According to a police report, the employees told Pope beforehand they would be working in the area, which he said he understood.

While flying the drone, one of the workers said he heard three shots. When the drone landed, they saw two gunshots had destroyed the device’s $600 battery. The landing gear was also shot at least once, the police report indicated. They told deputies they were unsure whether only the landing gear would need to be replaced or the entire drone, which they said is worth $15,000.

When one of the employees returned to his vehicle, he heard another gunshot and pellets hitting a nearby tree and the top of his truck, authorities said. The workers confronted Pope, who denied shooting the drone, the police report stated. The employees then called police when they saw a long shotgun in one of the cars in Pope’s yard, authorities said.

Deputies said when they failed to contact Pope, they spoke to his neighbors who told them they’ve had issues with the man harassing family members and also placing spike strips in the street.

Around 5 p.m., deputies said they made contact with Pope, who denied shooting the drone although authorities said there were two eyewitnesses, the police report said.

Pope was eventually arrested after a brief struggle and sent to the Coweta County jail, authorities said. He was charged with reckless conduct and criminal damage to property in the second degree.
I understood that a professional drone operates under the Federal Aviation Authority rules, if this same person took pot shots at a private aircraft or commercial plane would the charges be so relatively insignificant .
it strikes me that the FAA should be all over this case, however I don’t see there name even mentioned?

I
I understood that a professional drone operates under the Federal Aviation Authority rules, if this same person took pot shots at a private aircraft or commercial plane would the charges be so relatively insignificant .
it strikes me that the FAA should be all over this case, however I don’t see there name even mentioned?
Yes
Thomas B alluded to this earlier. If the allegations are true, including the problems with the neighbors, I would take a guess that he has had previous interactions with the police before. If he has a previous record he could be federally prohibited person for firearms depending on the crime. In that case the ATF may be a better option. Just some wild speculation here.

That’s wild. What $15k drones are there on the market? Two batteries? That sounds awesome.
Matrice 600 Pro (6 batteries per flight) - No transmitter, no batteries, no camera $6,000

Alta 8 (2 batteries per flight) with no camera, no transmitter $17,495

DJI M300 (2 batteries per flight) no camera $12,000

Alta X (this is an AMAZING aircraft) - (2 batteries per flight) no camera, batteries, or transmitter $15,995

If you start looking at Custom aircraft you can easily get over $50K and that's no camera/sensors.

Matrice 600 Pro (6 batteries per flight) - No transmitter, no batteries, no camera $6,000

Alta 8 (2 batteries per flight) with no camera, no transmitter $17,495

DJI M300 (2 batteries per flight) no camera $12,000

Alta X (this is an AMAZING aircraft) - (2 batteries per flight) no camera, batteries, or transmitter $15,995

If you start looking at Custom aircraft you can easily get over $50K and that's no camera/sensors.
Nice! Thanks for the detailed reply. Definitely gave me some fresh things to look up on Youtube haha

Reactions: Capt KO and BigAl07
Wow, that guy is a people hater. Didn’t stop with shooting the drone, went after the workers too. Sure the neighborhood would like to see him Gone. Been through similar in my neighborhood, didn’t end until the abuser went to jail. In the US, the crazies have the law on there side until things go very bad and someone suffers. Until then, you’re on your own.

Hope everyone gets what they deserve. Jail and peace ✌️

You can probably build a Matrice up to that... Just hang a $5k FF Mirrorless Camera underneath. Not sure about the dual battery redundancy though.

Outside of DJI... I've seen drones with insane zooms... That cost over $200k
You can can load out an Inspire 2 for more than that. I have a friend who’s in about 28 Grand with his. All of the Cameras and those batteries aren’t cheap at all. I’ll stay with my OG Magic Air for now. I’ll say one thing about his Inspire, he’s more than made his investment back. I help spot him from time to time.

• Wow
Reactions: itsneedtokno
You can can load out an Inspire 2 for more than that. I have a friend who’s in about 28 Grand with his. All of the Cameras and those batteries aren’t cheap at all. I’ll stay with my OG Magic Air for now. I’ll say one thing about his Inspire, he’s more than made his investment back. I help spot him from time to time.
If you don't mind my asking, what's he do?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143