DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get M2P now or wait for M3? What about autel evo ii?

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
Hope this type of post is allowed.

Right now, I'm only a spark owner. It's mostly serving me well. I'm primarily a real estate photographer and I mostly use it to take a few photos of homes as add-ons to the ground photos. It's decent for this purpose. The photos aren't great but the quality is fine for just a few exterior photos.

Recently though, I don't know what it is, but I'm getting a lot more people interested in the drone work, specifically people wanting video. I've done 3 videos for real estate agents with the spark in the last 2 years, and while they were happy with the video, I just look at them taken with a 2-axis gimble and they kind of make the perfectionist in me puke.

Not only that, but I'm starting to get more inquiries from large businesses that want super high res photos, something better than the spark. I have to turn these down.

So I've been thinking about getting the M2P. I have some big concerns about this though. While it's a great drone, it IS now what, like 2 or 3 years old? Generally, I don't like purchasing tech in it's 2nd year, I don't like investing in something that's going to be obsolete soon. If the price was lower on it I would feel better, but I think right now it's even more expensive than when it came out. And then I could see DJI releasing the Mavic 3 in 6 months and the value of my "new" M2P would drop like a brick.

Even more worrying is the FAA's remote ID BS. It seems, from what I gather, that when remote ID comes, you will need a new drone and all the old drones will essentiallly be bricked. I wish DJI would make a statement or be more clear if the older drones like M2P can be firmware fixed to be remote ID compliant, but it seems they want to leave us in the dark guessing.

Now, I'm not made of money, so a M2P would be a big investment for me. And I would want it to last. So if it's foolish to get it now, I wouldn't. But at the same time, the spark is holding me back from the potential of making more money.

I've also been looking into the Autel Evo II. If I got it, I would wait for the 1" sensor model slated to come out in March. The specs look great, and it's my favorite color orange, so I wouldnt have to wrap it! And I like that it doesn't have the BS DJI geofencing. My area has had a lot of the geofencing zones added recently. I think it's stupid that I have to go to the DJI website and get authorization every time, when I'm already a 107 holder and get proper auth ahead of time with LAANC. Honestly DJI should just keep 107 licenses on file per account and leave it up to the pilots to get proper auth, knowing that as 107 holders, they probably play by the rules and aren't rogue pilots.

Of course, with the Evo II, the remote ID concerns still apply. That, and I don't know how reliable Autel drones are. DJI is the leader, so it seems they would have the most reliable tech. In other words, less chance for crashes or fly aways with DJI gear. I would think.

Thoughts? Anyone else in my situation?

The “M3” is currently vaporware. Best info indicates no M3 release during 2020.
Search “Autel Evo2” on this site for user experiences with that platform.
That's the general consensus I'm getting that no Mavic 3 in 2020. Of course, DJI announced the M2 in August, so an August announcement for the M3 could in theory still happen. With the remote ID issue, and competition from Autel, I could see DJI pushing to get the M3 out quicker. Idk. Wish this company was more transparent and would at least let us know if they are working on a M3 or not...

That's the general consensus I'm getting that no Mavic 3 in 2020. Of course, DJI announced the M2 in August, so an August announcement for the M3 could in theory still happen. With the remote ID issue, and competition from Autel, I could see DJI pushing to get the M3 out quicker. Idk. Wish this company was more transparent and would at least let us know if they are working on a M3 or not...
Your not going to find a better camera than what comes on the M2P this year. Most other drones and even the ones that haven't even been released yet are still using a camera equivalent to the P4 standard which is still a completely excellant drone for shooting professional video.

Reactions: maven4336
Your not going to find a better camera than what comes on the M2P this year. Most other drones and even the ones that haven't even been released yet are still using a camera equivalent to the P4 standard which is still a completely excellant drone for shooting professional video.
Until the EVO2 Pro with the 6K 1" sensor shooting 4K 60fps is reviewed that statement may not be entirely correct. Many won't care about the supposed 6k, but many will be pleased to have the 4K 60fps.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
The M2P had been drastically reduced in price during the holiday season, even going below the price of the M2Z. That might have been part of the cause for speculation on a 2020 release of an M3.

Both the M2P and M2Z came out August 2018 so it's not 2 years old yet.

Until the EVO2 Pro with the 6K 1" sensor shooting 4K 60fps is reviewed that statement may not be entirely correct. Many won't care about the supposed 6k, but many will be pleased to have the 4K 60fps.
Still unavailable without anticipated delivery date though... given Autel’s history we’ll see if it happens in the future and when.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
For the deal I got on my MP2 I'll settle for 2.7K st 60fps. It will be hard to beat the Hassleblad camera.

For the deal I got on my MP2 I'll settle for 2.7K st 60fps. It will be hard to beat the Hassleblad camera.

Hasselblad didn't build the camera, just provided the color science. Great pictures but the video while very good, could be even better. Only time will tell whether the EVO 2 camera will match or beat the M2P.

If it does my M2P will get a partner.

I also do Real Estate work (mostly photos) and my main rig is from another manufacturer and also has a 20 meg 1" sensor that produces stunning images and video but it is much larger, and there are times when I can see how a smaller more compact system would 'fit the bill'. I considered the Evo2 and forth-coming Mavic3 but until either of those have a track record of reliability; much less proven to have a truly better camera, they're (to me) just not worth considering right now. I picked up a M2P a couple weeks back and am glad I did.

So I've been thinking about getting the M2P. I have some big concerns about this though. While it's a great drone, it IS now what, like 2 or 3 years old?
Generally, I don't like purchasing tech in it's 2nd year, I don't like investing in something that's going to be obsolete soon.
Mavic 2 was released August 2018 ... so it's been out a little less than 1.5 yrs.
Tech advances in early drones were big but like digital cameras, newer models only have small improvements now.
I still shoot with a Nikon D800 from 2012.
Until recently there was no compelling reason to update to a newer model. and it's still producing great images.
And then I could see DJI releasing the Mavic 3 in 6 months
Or not ... no-one has any knowledge of when/if a Mavic 3 is likely
I've also been looking into the Autel Evo II. If I got it, I would wait for the 1" sensor model slated to come out in March.

Hasselblad didn't build the camera, just provided the color science. Great pictures but the video while very good, could be even better. Only time will tell whether the EVO 2 camera will match or beat the M2P.

If it does my M2P will get a partner.
DJI MAVIC 2 PRO
FEATURING THE HASSELBLAD L1D-20C

Reactions: PTBperegrine
Hasselblad didn't build the camera, just provided the color science.
Here are some comments on that from someone involved in creating the M2pro.
On to the more important stuff – the camera. I have not had a chance to use the Zoom version yet, so my comments are confined to the 1″ Pro, and biased by my involvement in development.
First question is likely to be: “is this a real Hasselblad?” – I think the answer is yes, though a lot more complicated now that DJI and Hasselblad are integrated.
The imaging pipeline is definitely Hasselblad, as is the color and tonal response tuning.
We’ve never made our own sensors, so use of a 1″ 20MP Sony sensor is very much normal.
That sensor is mated to a matched 28mm-equivalent lens with variable f2.8-11 aperture (for light and thus shutter speed control, not DOF) that resolves very well right into the corners, at all apertures.
The lens (and gimbals) are not interchangeable, but there is a bayonet fitting on the front of the 1″ version that can take future accessories (filters etc).
Given that the entirety of the camera hardware has been packed into a 3cm cube: this is really, really impressive. Camera housing and gimbal are both magnesium alloy for strength and heat dissipation.

How about the P4P ? The resolution of 4K video is definitely better. M2P's 4K is just inflated 2.7K. Too bad that I knew it after I have bought it.
I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing portable fold up drones here. There are a lot of suitcase drones that you can buy if your looking for a better camera. I suppose if your really worried you could save up for this one.
Nevertheless, the MP2 holds it's own against this monster camera drone. Nice to know.

So I've been thinking about getting the M2P...

I’m too new at this hobby to know all about the disappointing history of Autel release dates and broken promises, and have not had to deal with DJI support yet.

But I know that the Mini did its job and got me fired up to buy its big brother, M2P, all within a month. I saw myself obsessing over pricing bundles online. Every spare moment at work had me grabbing my iPad to check the forum’s Classified section, as well as every online DJI retailer’s pricing. I watched every major YouTube comparison between Evos and Mavics. I was simply non-stop into that obsession.

So now I’ve got my M2P prominently displayed next to his little Mini brother. I’m no longer obsessing about pricing bundles, nor vaporware release dates. Now I’m spending constructive time learning about things like Waypoints (and all the apps that do it too), sensors over water, optimal camera settings, and even studying for Part 107.

Go buy that baby...you know you want it. Like mentioned earlier by @kawartha, the profits you’ll make with the M2P can put you on a savings trajectory to buy whatever next model your heart desires. You will also be flying the flagship of the Mavic line-up now, so have a great time!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e