DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get three times your photo quality from stills...

Just realised rather than taking a horizontal pic at the 48 or 12 MP resolution just flip that camera to vertical and take three or 4 overlapping shots and stitch them. You now have a pretty high resolution image rivaling if not exceeding the quality of the Mavic 3 single image.
Watch this before making this advice. Mini 3 Pro may need some software refinement in the vertical camera department before your dreams can come true:

Interesting mini creates nice 360 panos (using external software) would have thought this would have been a doddle. If anybody is happy to take a 3 or 4 shot vertical pano (effectively) and post the jpegs or dngs we can have a look first hand...

I am hoping for a dedicated Pano mode for the vertical camera that does some of the work you are looking for in an automated fashion. I sometimes do some stitching for larger images or to get more dynamic range but the Mavic 3 and Mavic Air 2s do a pretty good job on their own.

I am hoping for a dedicated Pano mode for the vertical camera that does some of the work you are looking for in an automated fashion. I sometimes do some stitching for larger images or to get more dynamic range but the Mavic 3 and Mavic Air 2s do a pretty good job on their own.
I guess you would like to think just a matter of time then? (for firmware upgrade)

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Oh wow, that's disappointing that vertical orientation is yet to be implemented in pano mode.

I don't need the vertical mode for videos on social media but for the ease of taking panoramas.

Let's hope for a software update but it's beyond my mind how DJI is always that short-sighted and stinted for proper implementation (same with AEB and panorama).

Reactions: Bussty and miemo
Corresponding reminder for DJI found here:

Judging from the lack of AEB and panorama with the M2P (could only be reached with Litchi with first setting up AEB and then changing to pano), I doubt, we will ever experience what the drone is capable of with comfort.

Yeah, I know, you can do it manually and that's the way to go for now, but it is so cumbersome that so many things go to waste as DJI does not really care about even very small improvements in software.

Let's hope and see ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bussty
Corresponding reminder for DJI found here:

Judging from the lack of AEB and panorama with the M2P (could only be reached with Litchi with first setting up AEB and then changing to pano), I doubt, we will see this unfortunately.

Yeah, I know, you can do it manually and that's the way to go for now, but it is so cumbersome that so many things go to waste as DJI does not really care about even very small improvements in software.

Let's hope and see ...
Yes would love to be head of the DJI customer service and improvement team for just a month :)

Sure, any additional line of code costs money, support etc.
But why build a drone with the gimbal going up to 60 ° and then let the automatic mode just do the same old 20 ° flip like all the other models?

But well, we saw how DJI released the Mavic 3 even without proper modes, so we shouldn't be surprised at all.
Will definitely write a short and friendly message to [email protected] to see, if they have plans to improve in the near future.

How do you stitch jpegs? Also how can you stretch a jpeg plan view so that there is no distortion?0

How do you stitch jpegs? Also how can you stretch a jpeg plan view so that there is no distortion?0
Use Photoshop, Lightroom, PTgui, or any other pano stitching software.

Much of your success with Adobe Lightroom and its ability to stitch will depend upon how high you were when taking the picture and how much lower ground area you have taken compared to that of the sky.

To help with this process you need take different heights and find the best one that the software works with best.
Adobe has some tricks that will help but the better picture you give the better the results .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Much of your success with Adobe Lightroom and its ability to stitch will depend upon how high you were when taking the picture and how much lower ground area you have taken compared to that of the sky.
You can stitch panoramas taken at any height.

Bonjour
Les français dont je fais parti ont la réputation d'êtes des gros raleurs invétérez, je vois que je vais pouvoir suivre des cours de rattrapages ici (Humoooooour!)
A+patc 45 de France

Bonjour
Les français dont je fais parti ont la réputation d'êtes des gros raleurs invétérez, je vois que je vais pouvoir suivre des cours de rattrapages ici (Humoooooour!)
A+patc 45 de France
Yes lessons are free here, and so is the humor. lol El Welcomomo

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

• Haha
Its not giving you any extra detail, resolution or "quality" over a single image - its just giving a wide field of view from that position.
It also has large downsides as as moving objects can appear multiple times (cars etc) and other effects.
Panoramas are great but they dont give "3x the quality" at all.

Reactions: Johnmcl7 and Meta4
Its not giving you any extra detail, resolution or "quality" over a single image - its just giving a wide field of view from that position.
It also has large downsides as as moving objects can appear multiple times (cars etc) and other effects.
Panoramas are great but they dont give "3x the quality" at all.
Sorry you are right it's only about 1.8x the quality for a 16x9 horizontal image taken on Mavic 3. But point is you can potentially exceed the resolution of a single Mavic 3 image. And yes still days are better.

Maths...

16/9 Mavic 3 image is 5280 x 2970 = 15681600 pixels

Flipping the Mini 3 to vertical and fitting the Vertical into the 2970 vertical space of the Mavic 3 to fill the same view means the 4032 x 3024 sensor of the Mini 3 would fit 2.37 times across the sensor (2970 x 3/4 = 2227.5 5280/2227.5 = 2.37x)

Mini 4/3 sensor is 4032 x 3024 = 12192768 pixels x by 2.37 = 2889680 pixels

2889680 / 15681600 = 1.84x number of pixels.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada