DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting compass error every time I try to take off from new location

RickMC

Reactions
Just got the Mavic 2 and I love it but every time I take the Mavic to a new location to fly I get the compass error and it tells me to calibrate the compass. I don’t wanna have to do that every time I go fly somewhere new. Is there a fix for this?

If you travel more than 30 miles from your last flight it will ask for a compass calibration. Also if it’s been more than 30 days since your last calibration it will ask for it.

Paul C

Reactions: charliesRig
Just got the Mavic 2 and I love it but every time I take the Mavic to a new location to fly I get the compass error and it tells me to calibrate the compass. I don’t wanna have to do that every time I go fly somewhere new. Is there a fix for this?
With my older Mavic I never had to recalibrate it ever even if I traveled 1000 miles away. I’m having the same issue with my new Mavic 2. It will ask for a recalibration at my house where I flew from the previous day. It’s easy to recalibrate but a pain to do when you are ready to fly and don’t anticipate doing calibrations. It shouldn’t ask every time to recalibrate.

If you travel more than 30 miles from your last flight it will ask for a compass calibration. Also if it’s been more than 30 days since your last calibration it will ask for it.

Paul C
Gotcha. Mavic 1 didn’t do that and I wish this one didn’t either.

With my older Mavic I never had to recalibrate it ever even if I traveled 1000 miles away. I’m having the same issue with my new Mavic 2. It will ask for a recalibration at my house where I flew from the previous day. It’s easy to recalibrate but a pain to do when you are ready to fly and don’t anticipate doing calibrations. It shouldn’t ask every time to recalibrate.
Yeah same here never had to recalibrate with Mavic 1.

They may have added a change in later versions. Both of mine ask for it anytime I travel the 30 miles or greater distances.

Just takes a minute so I just do the dance.

Paul C

How Often to Calibrate compass????
This brings up a question I have always had, namely, if I move a little bit down the road and try to take another flight, I am so nervous about losing my Mavic Air that I always re-calibrate for every flight. Now, here is says, 30 miles! That would certainly save me some battery time. So what does the esteemed panel recommend for how often I need to calibrate my compass on a five outing in the same area?

How Often to Calibrate compass????
This brings up a question I have always had, namely, if I move a little bit down the road and try to take another flight, I am so nervous about losing my Mavic Air that I always re-calibrate for every flight. Now, here is says, 30 miles! That would certainly save me some battery time. So what does the esteemed panel recommend for how often I need to calibrate my compass on a five outing in the same area?

The question "how often to calibrate" needs to be asked in the context of "why do you calibrate". The calibration process measures the internal magnetic field of the aircraft at the compass(es), which is then subtracted from the measured magnetic field during flight. Unless the magnetometers drift, or the magnetic state of the aircraft changes, there is no reason to recalibrate.

DJI's random and varying advice to recalibrate only when interference is detected, only when moving a certain arbitrary distance, every 30 days etc., is not helpful. Better is to look at the interference values in the GO app, but the only definitive way to know if the compass needs calibrating is to power it up and turn the aircraft through 360°, preferably around a couple of different axes, and then compare the IMU yaw with the magnetometer yaw from the DAT file. If the calibration is good then those values should agree pretty well. If it is out of calibration then you will see a 2π periodic error such as this one:

yaw_error_yaw.png

Thant you sar104
I did not know that I was thinking it was
Your orientation to the earth magnetic north
.....Thank you

I have not recalibrated mp1 since my last crash 02-19
And have only recalibrate my M2P once

Yes still on fire

Mavic2Pro amazing

cR

The question "how often to calibrate" needs to be asked in the context of "why do you calibrate". The calibration process measures the internal magnetic field of the aircraft at the compass(es), which is then subtracted from the measured magnetic field during flight. Unless the magnetometers drift, or the magnetic state of the aircraft changes, there is no reason to recalibrate.

DJI's random and varying advice to recalibrate only when interference is detected, only when moving a certain arbitrary distance, every 30 days etc., is not helpful. Better is to look at the interference values in the GO app, but the only definitive way to know if the compass needs calibrating is to power it up and turn the aircraft through 360°, preferably around a couple of different axes, and then compare the IMU yaw with the magnetometer yaw from the DAT file. If the calibration is good then those values should agree pretty well. If it is out of calibration then you will see a 2π periodic error such as this one:

View attachment 80325

View attachment 80325
Wow- did you totally LOSE ME just now with that last sentence- I have no clue. Two pi??? WTF? This chart also threw me. I guess I'll just muddle through like I have been doing.

Wow- did you totally LOSE ME just now with that last sentence- I have no clue. Two pi??? WTF? This chart also threw me. I guess I'll just muddle through like I have been doing.

Sorry - that just means that the interference varies periodically with each full rotation (360° = 2π radians), which is the giveaway that the interference depends purely on direction.

Reactions: Concern
Sorry - that just means that the interference varies periodically with each full rotation (360° = 2π radians), which is the giveaway that the interference depends purely on direction.
So my routine is usually, no matter what, to calibrate on first flight. Nine times out of ten, (or really about the first or 2nd time) I get a "calibration failed" message. So I continue to re-calibrate, moving away from the first spot a bit each time, and staying away from my car, or a roadway which might have metal in it. I try to do it over grass. Eventually, I get a "cannot fly" red marker, and then I know I will be good to go in a few moments when the green banner comes on to fly. I have rarely had an ok to fly on the first calibration. I usually spend the better part of 5% battery with this crazy spinning around looking like a fool to onlookers. I refuse to fly without the calibration ok. What the heck am I doing wrong that I cannot get the "ok to fly" on the first calibration???? I'd love to have that 5% batttery back to do my hyperlapse and other flights.

So my routine is usually, no matter what, to calibrate on first flight. Nine times out of ten, (or really about the first or 2nd time) I get a "calibration failed" message. So I continue to re-calibrate, moving away from the first spot a bit each time, and staying away from my car, or a roadway which might have metal in it. I try to do it over grass. Eventually, I get a "cannot fly" red marker, and then I know I will be good to go in a few moments when the green banner comes on to fly. I have rarely had an ok to fly on the first calibration. I usually spend the better part of 5% battery with this crazy spinning around looking like a fool to onlookers. I refuse to fly without the calibration ok. What the heck am I doing wrong that I cannot get the "ok to fly" on the first calibration???? I'd love to have that 5% batttery back to do my hyperlapse and other flights.

I don't know. I only calibrate when the aircraft requests calibration, and I don't recall ever having a calibration fail on the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2. I'm still not clear why you insist on calibrating every time. I've seen very few cases of flight problems due to bad calibrations - it's just not a significant problem.

I don't know. I only calibrate when the aircraft requests calibration, and I don't recall ever having a calibration fail on the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2. I'm still not clear why you insist on calibrating every time. I've seen very few cases of flight problems due to bad calibrations - it's just not a significant problem.
Not to belabor the point but I am always nervous when I start up my Mavic Air after a full year of successful flights, although I've had some near misses with trees and sailboat masts. So naturally, if it says "calibrate," I calibrate. Even if it doesn't say calibrate, I force a calibration until I get the green "fly now" banner. I also stubbornly wait for a minimum of 10 satellites even though I am in risk of losing my shot (I missed a great herd of pronghorn antelopes in Montana 2 weeks ago- they fled while I was futzing with the calibration. I am thinking of upgrading to Mavic 2 Pro with better communication to the RC (Occusync). I have lost communication 3-4 times and it scared me to death. Please see attached photo of a chicken (just kidding).

Not to belabor the point but I am always nervous when I start up my Mavic Air after a full year of successful flights, although I've had some near misses with trees and sailboat masts. So naturally, if it says "calibrate," I calibrate. Even if it doesn't say calibrate, I force a calibration until I get the green "fly now" banner. I also stubbornly wait for a minimum of 10 satellites even though I am in risk of losing my shot (I missed a great herd of pronghorn antelopes in Montana 2 weeks ago- they fled while I was futzing with the calibration. I am thinking of upgrading to Mavic 2 Pro with better communication to the RC (Occusync). I have lost communication 3-4 times and it scared me to death. Please see attached photo of a chicken (just kidding).

The delay in the green banner has nothing to do with the status of the compass, unless the unit is requesting calibration. It's initializing the IMU and other stuff. Calibrating the compass will not expedite the green banner, and I recommend restarting the aircraft after a compass calibration anyway in order to re-initialize the IMU yaw. I think you are completely wasting your time and risking an initialization error with that strategy.

Mine prompts every 30 miles(as the manual says it should.)
I occasionally (but sometimes) get it inside that distance and that does seem to depend to an extent which bag, or more specifically whats next to it in the carry bag, i use.
Hint - bluetooth speaker next to it in a bag isnt a great idea....

Once ive found an area it wouldnt calibrate. Within 10m or so of a large, metal lighthouse. I thought i was far enough away but it just wouldnt calibrate. Moving an extra 100m or so solved the issue.

In terms of other interference, even some rocks have produced interference not just concrete with rebar etc. Even some types of sand can cause issues.

I, too, have had excessive Compass Calibration requests on both my Mavic 2's, which don't just go away by moving the launch location away from the area of claimed interference. Recalibrating seems to be the only fix, once it demands it. Seems to be more sensitive than my P4P to compass interference, and more insistent about recalibrating to make it go away. Some known locations used repeatedly have a 50% chance of requiring a compass calibration. I try launching away from them whenever possible. I'd like to be able to consistently launch from the top of the glass sunroof of my car (apparently too much metal around it) , which is one of those locations, as it is level and dirt free, but if it throws the compass out about half the time, I am better off launching from the ground next to the car, which works every time. There is also a favorite parking garage rooftop, but the rebar and steel underneath are too much! I am able to consistently launch from an outside ledge of the parking garage, though! Oh, well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123