DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GETTING READY FOR THE RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE!!!

CLAYB.7

Reactions
Hey Guys I am going to have my batteries charged up for the morning of THURSDAY JUNE 10 2021 and be in the air for the "RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE" it's going to be AWESOME I think and I really hope that I can get a great video and pictures of it as it's happening I read that it will be at its peak at around 6:15am EST-U.S. so I know that here in my area we'll only be getting a partial one but I think it's going to be AWESOME none the less especially since I can get to see it airborne "HOPEFULLY" I'll be launching early just to make sure so I would like to invite you all to find out if you get to see it in your area and find out what time in the morning or midday for tomorrow and see if you can get some AWESOME video and pictures of the "RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE" as well and if so post what you get here on the thread tell me what you think and I look forward to it. God Bless Us All ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

The map makes it look like I will only be able to catch a small sliver down here in Florida but I am going to give it my all!!
Yeah Brother that's what I'm kinda seeing here in South Carolina to and yeah I'm going to be doing the same exact thing!!! ? God Bless Brother ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

Reactions: JackL
I'm in the Boston area right on the water, great place for sunrises. Per the map I'm looking at, the eclipse will be in progress at sunrise. What would you guys suggest for settings (shutter interval, shutter speed, ISO, color temp, ND filter) for a series of time lapse photos to get the best results? Equipment = Air 2S.

Attached map credit: space.com

PtGWqMQYAc7eqHx6i9bcR9-970-80.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BarbT and CLAYB.7
What would you guys suggest for settings (shutter interval, shutter speed, ISO, color temp, ND filter) for a series of time lapse photos to get the best results? Equipment = Air 2S.
The wideangle lens on your drone camera and lack of a controllable aperture make it about the worst camera you could use to capture details of a solar eclipse.
You won't see anything of the eclipse in the resulting images, regardless of your settings.
Best to leave the drone at home for this.

The wideangle lens on your drone camera and lack of a controllable aperture make it about the worst camera you could use to capture details of a solar eclipse.
You won't see anything of the eclipse in the resulting images, regardless of your settings.
Well maybe but I am going to try none the less especially since I was able to get incredible shots of the 2017 solar eclipse by just simply using my smart phone camera and at the time I was using the MOTOROLA MOTO Z PLAY and the camera on it was really no comparison to the camera on my DJI MINI 2 is without a doubt way better and being that he's going to be using a DJI MAVIC AIR 2S with a 20mp 1 inch sensor camera on it I think that he will get way better videos and pictures than I get but we'll see what happens I'll be posting what I get on here soon. God Bless ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B.?

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
Well maybe but I am going to try none the less especially since I was able to get incredible shots of the 2017 solar eclipse by just simply using my smart phone camera
Care to show one of those incredible shots?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hey Guys I am going to have my batteries charged up for the morning of THURSDAY JUNE 10 2021 and be in the air for the "RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE" it's going to be AWESOME I think and I really hope that I can get a great video and pictures of it as it's happening I read that it will be at its peak at around 6:15am EST-U.S. so I know that here in my area we'll only be getting a partial one but I think it's going to be AWESOME none the less especially since I can get to see it airborne "HOPEFULLY" I'll be launching early just to make sure so I would like to invite you all to find out if you get to see it in your area and find out what time in the morning or midday for tomorrow and see if you can get some AWESOME video and pictures of the "RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE" as well and if so post what you get here on the thread tell me what you think and I look forward to it. God Bless Us All ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B.
Well I am bummed out as far as me getting a good shot of the RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE in my area it was partly cloudy so I didn't get the AWESOME shot of the SOLAR ECLIPSE I was hoping for even though it would have been a partial SOLAR ECLIPSE for me here in South Carolina I still got some really nice pictures though at least I think so anyways and here are some of them that I took this morning I was at 525 FT. up and over my backyard but I still got Blessed cuz I got to see the beauty our Holy God created across the sky!!! God Bless ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B. I can't wait to see what you guys got ?

Attachments

• Photo_6553645_DJI_45_jpg_4028936_0_202161061712_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553645_DJI_45_jpg_4028936_0_202161061712_photo_original.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
  • Photo_6553651_DJI_51_jpg_4892856_0_202161061830_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553651_DJI_51_jpg_4892856_0_202161061830_photo_original.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 39
  • Photo_6553652_DJI_52_jpg_4639364_0_202161061842_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553652_DJI_52_jpg_4639364_0_202161061842_photo_original.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: JackL
Yeah, you CAN'T really SEE much from those PICS.

Reactions: CLAYB.7
You never know. That early in the morning, the sun may not be so intense. With the right ND filter, he may be able to get decent shots. However I'd still bring a decent handheld camera with me.

Reactions: JackL and CLAYB.7
Well I am bummed out as far as me getting a good shot of the RING OF FIRE SOLAR ECLIPSE in my area it was partly cloudy so I didn't get the AWESOME shot of the SOLAR ECLIPSE I was hoping for even though it would have been a partial SOLAR ECLIPSE for me here in South Carolina I still got some really nice pictures though at least I think so anyways and here are some of them that I took this morning I was at 525 FT. up and over my backyard but I still got Blessed cuz I got to see the beauty our Holy God created across the sky!!! God Bless ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B. I can't wait to see what you guys got ?
Nice shots though

You never know.
Most of the time, I do.
That early in the morning, the sun may not be so intense. With the right ND filter, he may be able to get decent shots.
An ND filter would have made no difference at all, unless he had a particular reason to want a slower shutter speed.
Even without the cloud cover, he still would have had a fuzzy, over-exposed burnt out, distant blob with no visible detail of the eclipse.

Reactions: Quad Craft
Most of the time, I do.

An ND filter would have made no difference at all, unless he had a particular reason to want a slower shutter speed.
Even without the cloud cover, he still would have had a fuzzy, over-exposed burnt out, distant blob with no visible detail of the eclipse.
What are ND filters good for? I never use them.. But since you know almost everything, ? What circumstances might I want to use them on the Air2S? I just use a CPL filter to see more clearly under the Florida oceans and inlets. Lots of fish to see.

What are ND filters good for? I never use them.. But since you know almost everything, ? What circumstances might I want to use them on the Air2S? I just use a CPL filter to see more clearly under the Florida oceans and inlets. Lots of fish to see.

Use neutral-density filters in very bright scenes (i.e., FL) when you are moving the camera around a lot, or you have fast-moving objects like cars in view.

Why? In bright scenes, the drone camera will choose a very fast shutter speed to avoid over-exposure. That fast shutter speed results in excellent video, but in fact it's TOO GOOD and will look computer-generated to most people who grew up in the 24 frames per minute cinema age.

By using a filter, you reduce the light to the camera, which forces it to extend the exposure time. This results in blur with fast-moving objects, and blur when the camera turns quickly. I know, hard to accept, but blur is what we are accustomed to at this time.

BTW, it's called neutral-density because the manufacturer tried hard to make sure that all colors were filtered the same so that the color wasn't affected, only the overall light level.

In the computer graphics industry, we need footage with no motion blur so our object tracking software can match and create a fake or virtual camera within the scene. This fake camera then moves exactly as the real one moved. Then we add fake objects and characters to the footage. They look like they are really there because the fake camera is moving exactly like the real camera did. We only introduce motion blur in post as it would cause problems when making a matching virtual camera.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu