DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gettng Cold Feet - Is Hassling The Norm or the Exception?

LeafPeeper

Reactions
Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

Reactions: flodi
Hard to say really, All my contacts so far with public have been positive. I make the time to engage with anyone if they are showing an interest. Make a point of showing them my screen (have an IPad so it is nice and big).
So far they have been impressed.
I do make sure I am not flying over people where possible as most of my shots are nature and seascapes.
I am aware that it's probably only a matter of time before I get an adverse reaction.
For me I wouldn't even consider flying over built up areas.

You have to weigh whether keeping it in the case unless/until you feel confident enough to assert your rights is worth the $$$. Even if you only use it a few times (vs. flying every day), if those few times help you capture scenes you'd otherwise only dream of, it may well be worth it to keep it. OTOH, if you're going to fret over the tied up funds in a sitting/depreciating device that rarely gets used, I think you'd be better off returning it.

I flew regularly in FL, in a 1000+ home gated community with homes so close together, if I needed milk, I'd simply open my kitchen window, reach across, and knock on my neighbors kitchen window. Well, not quite, but you get the idea. Even there, I was never harassed or challenged. But, I also made it a point to never loiter, or fly lower than 200' if possible.

Have flown in various places and countries and only received positive interest so far.
Where did you get your information from about a stigma, hate and hassle???

From reading various drone forums and media outlets - articles on law enforcement use, spying and various privacy concerns.

That is exactly why I started the thread - to see if I'm blowing it out of proportion. Thanks for your feedback!

LP

Hard to say really, All my contacts so far with public have been positive. I make the time to engage with anyone if they are showing an interest. Make a point of showing them my screen (have an IPad so it is nice and big).
So far they have been impressed.
I do make sure I am not flying over people where possible as most of my shots are nature and seascapes.
I am aware that it's probably only a matter of time before I get an adverse reaction.
For me I wouldn't even consider flying over built up areas.

I'm the same way - landscapes, mostly rural areas. So thanks, that helps.

LP

Even if you only use it a few times (vs. flying every day), if those few times help you capture scenes you'd otherwise only dream of, it may well be worth it to keep it.

Yes - this is perfect. I had that exact discussion with my wife. Even if I don't go out a ton, the few times I use it, I'm thrilled with what I get.

I flew regularly in FL, in a 1000+ home gated community with homes so close together, if I needed milk, I'd simply open my kitchen window, reach across, and knock on my neighbors kitchen window. Well, not quite, but you get the idea. Even there, I was never harassed or challenged. But, I also made it a point to never loiter, or fly lower than 200' if possible.

This is good to hear. I'm the same way - I actually avoid flying over houses if I can, never loiter over them if I can't, and always high.

Thanks for that. Feeling better already. :)

LP

I hear you LeafPeeper, I'm new also and seemed to have the same thoughts. I have taken some flights now "away from home" and will keep it! (I find myself looking for things to fly over even when I know I can't!!!)

With the short time you have left to decide get out to a new area, something open with hills perhaps that you can really see what the drone will do!

I'm not going to get into to many details here but I have called my local airport, they were very nice. For one of the locations I can fly they said not to worry about calling in as long as I agree to stay low, not much above the surrounding objects aircraft would need to avoid like water towers and so on.

On the negative side I never thought about how many "grass runways" are around. I see them all over now that I'm looking for them! (Going to have to knock on there door and ask if they still fly, some are grown over. Might find a plane real cheap!!)

No contact with anyone negative while flying yet but agree it will happen at some point. Try to stay away from folks as much as I can, will attempt to show them the flight is to get the scenery not the people in it if they are up for a conversation. If they are not then hope I can just move away from the area. Main reason I purchased the Mavic is to take it with me where I'm way off grid and slim chance of seeing anyone else in the first place. (That will be my luck to run into someone that gets "hot" and won't let up!!!)

Good luck to you!

Just fly it sensibly and people will leave you alone. The mavic is pretty inaudible and invisible a few hundred feet away so just keep a good distance from people and their property. No low flying hovering close to third parties.

Over the four years I've been flying drones, I've never once had anything but genuine interest and curiosity from the public, and I've flown in hundreds of locations within and outside of my state.

I'm not sure where this perception is coming from, unless it is being manufactured by those few who truly do want to see them gone.

I'm sure there is a small minority who fear or misunderstand the tech but I've yet to encounter them.

I think we will face more negative comments in future when drones become more affordable and when there will be much more drones in the air. For now, it is still relatively OK. I have not yet meet anyone who would confront and argue with me because i am operating a drone... Who knows, maybe my 6'7'', 275 lbs act as an repelent.

Keep your Mavic. I enjoy the hell out of mine. I've made several friends I fly with, and so will you.
If I fly in my neighborhood, it's over the streets and at 400'. I don't fly directly over people or houses. I mostly fly in a very large, rural park. Never a negative encounter.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
My experience is similar to many here. Nothing but curiosity and positive interactions. I try to be a good "ambassador" for the hobby and am very nice and patient. I'll even land it and show them how it all works.

As for the nay-sayers. They fall into two types: the silent ones who will glare and say nothing, or at worse mutter under their breath. Then you have the ones that will confront you. If someone is really being in your face, simply say: "I'm sorry I can't talk I need to focus on flying. If you think I'm doing something illegal call the authorities. Now please leave me alone, you are creating a hazard." If they continue to harass, call the police yourself.

The biggest thing is don't be a jerk when flying. Follow the rules, don't buzz rooftops or hover. Common sense and you'll be fine! :)

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Thanks,
LP
I have not had that experience, but I choose to fly in an open field away from people. Most cases of someone approaching me, I try to take the lead and ask if they would like to see. I figure that if they see that the camera is not a "sattelite" extreme detail, the assumption of spying is moot. Most have been open to chat, so I bring the bird home so I don't loose track of it and then show the actual copter. I would not let the incorrect opinions of others prevent you from having fun.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Thanks guys - this is great, and it helps a lot. I think I decided to keep it after only the first few responses. As I said in the title, I really just wanted to get a feel for whether the negative reactions were the norm before making up my mind. I can certainly handle confrontation....I just didn't want to have to deal with it on a regular basis such that it takes all of the fun out of the hobby. I also didn't want to have to deal with drone-uneducated law enforcement and have them confiscate my Mavic for no good reason. It sounds like these confrontations are the exception, which is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks again...
LP

Guys,

Thanks,
LP
All my experiences with people while flying have been good. To add to that I was visiting Utah and wanted to fly at a certain ski area (off season)) I did not see anything posted about drones but decided to ask management and was told they were forbidden. I said thank you and proceeded to go back outside. As I was leaving the lobby the same manager pulls me aside and says he never saw one fly and what were they like. After explaining the ipad view he said if I would let him watch I can fly. Turned out to be a great time. I guess it all depends on who you meet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke