DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal clamp at imu calibration

Hessu

Reactions
Hi

When I do imu calibration, the gimbal rattles quite noisy in the 2 last positions.

Should I leave gimbal clamp on during imu calibration?

Should I leave gimbal clamp on during imu calibration?
No. You should always remove it before powering up the Mavic.

Still looking at the different threads about this but still no answer if the shaking of camera (edit: during IMU calibration) is normal or could be an issue. With issue I mean:
-Does it damage the motors of the gimbal
-Is the calibration reliable although it was vibrating but was accepted successfully by the system.
Im not even going to try contacting DJI support about it because they are total ##### and waste my time, always the same.

I have done calibration before on 1 of the birds and flight/hover performance was great after it. However (not sure if related) it seemed that after the calibration the gimbal got issues (tiny movements during flight). Maybe it was there before and I didn't notice cause the bird was pretty new and I was distracted by the unstable hover when shooting footage. It's at the repair centre now.

Last edited:
Should have been more precise: Clamp goes off, that for sure.
My concern is the vibration of the gimbal when in position nose-up.

This puzzles me; why doesn't DJI add to the procedure of calibrating the IMU to remove the gimbal clamp prior to doing the calibration. The video actually shows the Mavic with the lens protector cover on too! No mention of reminding people to remove either on many of the youtube videos. I saw it as a problem right away and shutdown the Mavic before any over heating of the gimbal motors occurred.

The video actually shows the Mavic with the lens protector cover on too!
It's okay to power on the Mavic and/or calibrate the IMU while the gimbal cover is attached.

It's okay to power on the Mavic and/or calibrate the IMU while the gimbal cover is attached.
Are we sure about it? If gimbal is still stabilised during calibration that means gimbal motors are under serious stress continuously trying to fight with clamp... In my opinion, entering IMU calibration procedure should automaticaly shut off gimbal stabilisation. I'm not sure this is the case...

Are we sure about it? If gimbal is still stabilised during calibration that means gimbal motors are under serious stress continuously trying to fight with clamp...
The gimbal lock (clamp) should always be removed before powering on the Mavic. The gimbal cover does not have to be removed.

Reactions: Mad.Flyer
Sure the gimbal cover is no problem being on, but not the clamp. It should be more emphatic about removing it up front when they say to turn on the Mavic with the legs not extended.

I had the same question the other day. You would think that during IMU calibration with the Mavic sitting up, the gimbal is twitching (trying to right itself) and would mess up the calibration. Any updates on this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11