DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Disconnected?

Tony Perry

Reactions
I have had fewer than 20 flights on my Mavic and now when I connect to it with the DJI Go App, the Gimbal Status says "Gimbal Disconnected". I have a (blurry) image and the gimbal appears to be powered, but it isn't responding to any commands. I can't focus it, and i can't adjust the tilt or change the mode. I tried removing and reinstalling DJI Go, rebooting the phone, I even tried a different device..with the same results.

The last time I flew it was completely uneventful. I flew out, flew back, landed on flat concrete and then put the gimbal clamp and cover on it and put it away.

Anyone seen this before?

Reinstalled DJI Go.
Tried a different smart phone.
Did IMU calibration
Tried to calibrate gimbal (it did not start)
Reset to Factory settings with Assistant 2

Now they want me to send it back. UGH!

I think you are looking at enabeling RTH back to DJI .... im sure they will sort it.

I think you are looking at enabeling RTH back to DJI .... im sure they will sort it.

It looks like that's where we are. They said to look out for info re: a shipping label in email but haven't seen anything yet. Does that normally take a while?

It looks like that's where we are. They said to look out for info re: a shipping label in email but haven't seen anything yet. Does that normally take a while?

From the few i have seen coments on 24/48 hrs...

Also posted this on the DJI forum:

Ok, so this is the strangest thing.

As I was packing up my Mavic to get ready to ship back, I replaced the 32GB microsd card that I had in there with the card that came with the Mavic....and it started working again. WTF?

I checked the 32gb card in my pc, and it seemed to be fine. Even ran a scan on it. To see if that was really the cause, I put the 32gb card back in the Mavic, and the gimbal became non-responsive again.

I put the 16gb card back in, it started working again.

WTH? Should I still send it back? Should I just not use that card? I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Wow. I would buy another SD card and see what happens, just to test it out. You can always return the SD card once you figuredo it out.

Wow. I would buy another SD card and see what happens, just to test it out. You can always return the SD card once you figuredo it out.

It's an SD card that I had been using in my P3P. Just for grins, i popped it into the P3P and it works fine in there....So weird.

Did you format the card through the dji app in the drone ??

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

The DJI app in the Mavic times out when I try to format it. The P3 Pro is able to format it no problem.

And what about the 16 gig card can you format that one in the mavic ??

And what about the 16 gig card can you format that one in the mavic ??

Yes. I tried several different 16gb cards and they all worked fine. I guess it just doesn't like this card for whatever reason. It's a PNY Elite U3.

My mavic got this problem too:(

When i turn it on it seems to be fine but when i try control gimbal or camera it won't do anything:(
And gimbal status read "gimbal disconnected"

I been try change sd card but nothing, still not works...
I write to dji online support and they told me to contact to support.nl, well i sent video of problem to them and now waiting what they say, i think i need send my mavic to them:(

And i was hope to get some nice pic's of new year with mavic...

Well, after my last posting here, now my mavic is on the way for fixing.
Dji support told me to do rma and send mavic for them, this moment ups site shows that mavic arrive to them on tuesday 03.jan.17.
Then i hope that they can fix it fast and i could get it back next week...
I let u know what going to happen when i get some information too.
Happy new year for every one.

I just had the same issue.

"Gimbal disconnected"

Strange. Everything was fine on my last flight. Aircraft was gently put in its case.

I attempted to power off mavic, shut down controller, and restart dji go app.

Nothing.

Read on this forum about sd card.

Pulled the card out and everything is totally fine. Put in a different card, no problems.

The card that caused this problem is the same card I've used several times in mavic. The app will not allow me to format this sd card.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Right out of the box with this issue. First time putting it in the air boop there goes the camera feed and "gimbal disconnected"

Mind you the issues trying to update the thing.. got over that hurdle..

So far the way I have fixed this is I put back in the original SD card (16gb) that it came with. And went to calibrate the gimbal. Took 8 tries. Each time was different than the other. Sometimes it would fail right away. Others would get to 10% 20% and fail. The time it actually worked the entire thing disconnected from itself the app seemed as if it shut down and then appeared back up and connected about two seconds later. Got all the way to 86% and boop screen black then it went back to the camera feed and said calibration complete. Put it up in the air and recorded took pictures for 5 minutes.

Now I'm in the process of formatting the 64 GB on a PC (already tried on my mac and it won't take it in the mavic)

The amount of issues with the app and mavic itself is surprising. I guess I got spoiled coming from a trouble free P4.

Going to be using it heavily the next 3 days. I'll keep updating because as it looks like over the net multiple other people have similar issues with little help from DJI. All solutions different from one another...

Edit / Update

64 GB card worked after a full format on PC. Ran for 5 minutes recording / taking pictures and gimbal disconnect again.

After further refresh firmware on both the RC and MP still issue persists with "gimbal disconnection"

edit 2 / update

So I tried the "airplane mode" function on my iphone 7 plus and had one full battery flight successfully ran without any issues. Am I a DA and overlooked some rule for cell phones to be on air plane mode?

Last edited:
So I tried the "airplane mode" function on my iphone 7 plus and had one full battery flight successfully ran without any issues. Am I a DA and overlooked some rule for cell phones to be on air plane mode?[/QUOTE]

Got the same problem.. Didnt even change my sd card ?? First day I tried.. camera worked really perfectly... 2nd day.. Gimbal Disconnected... When i connect my controller to iphone 6 .. I see the camera view.. after few seconds i got dark grey screen and message Gimbal Disconnected... This is really annoying...

So you think the solution is to try in Airplane mode?? I try tomorrow.. Really hope it works.. I leave on holiday in 10 days and i really hope I can use it .. :(((

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803